Malaysian GP *SPOILERS*

Posted by matt3454 
Re: Malaysian GP *SPOILERS*
Date: April 10, 2011 06:24PM
Posted by: The Lopper
I honestly didn't think Hamilton had done anything wrong. Alonso had made a mistake and paid for it. It didn't really affect Hamilton's race a whole load by the looks of it either. A poor decision.
Date: April 10, 2011 06:36PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
A load of bollocks, this is motor racing not dominos.
Date: April 10, 2011 06:58PM
Posted by: gav
Are you suggesting dominoes isn't a load of bullocks? ;)

Both are harsh, even though Alonso wasn't punished, I suppose you couldn't hand one a longer penalty than the other, and Alonso's race was compromised by himself.

Apparently Hamilton's penalty was 2 minutes earlier than Alonso's offence. Looking at that time (along the front straight a lap earlier than Alonso broke his wing, and it was basically what Hamilton did last year to Petrov (though not quite to the same extent), with the final move in the entry to the braking zone. I suppose if Alonso was to be penalised for breaking his own car, then Hamilton's penalty isn't too harsh in retrospect. Shame Hamilton lost a position though. A day to forget.
Date: April 10, 2011 07:20PM
Posted by: JackHammer
Just made this (H)

Date: April 10, 2011 07:50PM
Posted by: The Lopper
<waylon jennings>Dem Renault boys maight wanna ask Red Bull to give 'em some wings...cause that Russki kid wants to learn himself to fly!</waylon jennings>

//Banjo

//Ad break

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2011 07:53PM by The Lopper.
Date: April 10, 2011 09:24PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
In Soviet Russia, car flies YOU.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: April 10, 2011 09:26PM
Posted by: chet
Incident 2k9 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In Soviet Russia, car flies YOU.

Brilliant :p!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: April 11, 2011 06:32AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I kinda understand Hamiltons penalty. They were all told not to do it, and he did. But, just because I understand it, doesn't mean I agree with it. It's far too harsh a penalty for the offence. Vettel did a slight double move on the start, and Massa did a bigger one at Melbourne, neither were penalised and I really don't think Lewis deserved a penalty. Perhaps he should have been told to calm down a bit, but that's it.

Alonsos penalty is just plain stupid. I know it resulted in nothing, but that was just by chance. It was a silly error but the only person to suffer was Alonso. The lap back to the pits was obviously terrible, and he lost 20+ seconds in the pit lane already and cost himself a potential podium. Penalising an accident which was the result of "preventable contact" is for when the offending driver comes off better than the victim, and that wasn't the case in this incident.

Another thing was spoiled an otherwise brilliant race for me is the BBC commentary was excellent again, but Brundle has said on Twitter that the bosses complained it was too confusing and 2 drivers isn't working. Well, if you're too stupid to understand it then press the red button and go listen to Ant and Crofty talking about 5 year olds. Leave Brundle and DC alone, they were awesome.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: April 11, 2011 06:52AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
I know that the stewards are meant to look at situations on a case-by-case basis, but I can't help but wonder if Hamilton's actions against Petrov last year contributed towards his penalty. I mean that he has already been warned with a bad sportsmanship flag for it, so to do it again could understandably draw ire from the stewards.

Also, it is worth noting that the driving standards in regards to moving on straights were made more strict late last year, according to Autosport. Still, as Dave says, many others will go unpenalised - not least Petrov, who defended in a similar way against Massa earlier in the race.

As for Alonso's penalty, as I said yesterday, I think we've seen in recent years more cases of drivers pulling out from behind a car far too late (Brazil 2009, Melbourne 2010, Valencia 2010 etc.) so I think this is the FIA trying to prevent this in the future, as it is potentially dangerous with more closing speeds in 2011.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: April 11, 2011 09:03AM
Posted by: chet
AGHHHH too confusing?! WHAT?!

MB sounds like he used to sound like, he sounds relaxed, he's making jokes and it just sounds right?!

Its awesome commentary, DC has found his calling :p!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: April 11, 2011 09:28AM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
That was a pretty good race, I enjoyed every moment and there was plenty of action.
Vettel drove super as always.

Maybe Alonso deserved the penalty yes for an "avoidable collision" but Hamilton shouldnt have got one imo. Didnt see him do anything wrong really! I thought it was just a racing incident at the end of the day. Hamilton didnt suffer much from it but Alonso did, wasnt that enough! lol

Everytime I saw the video of petrov flying I could help but saying "woah". it got launched!! ;)

Date: April 11, 2011 10:59AM
Posted by: danm
Renault have seriously nailed the starts with that car. My god.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: April 11, 2011 12:08PM
Posted by: marcl
Tbh I think both Lewis and Alonso's penalties were stupid. Yes Lewis did move twice as did many drivers but it was not weaving, vettel 4 times going into turn one on lap 1. I thought Lewis had got a bad start but tbh he was trying to go for the lead but Vettel blocked and this gave Nick the run on him.

Webber I thought had a great drive kept his head and done well, same for Button.

I have no idea what was going on with Lewis and his tyres, he seemed to have no grip straight away there was a thing on Sky saying he had a car problem?

Alonso messed up did it take Lewis out the race no, did it effect his race no.

Anyway the race was ok but I am not a fan of these tyres or wing its just sort of fake. I suppose just need to get used to it.
Date: April 11, 2011 12:23PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
of course hamilton desereved a penalty. he moved 4 or even 5 times, i am not quite sure. and at the end alonso almost hit him in the breaking into turn 1. And of course alonso deserves a penalty. I am sure all of you saw how much on the ragged edge his driving became, once he got close to lewis. he was so impattient to go through, even his race engineer told him to calm down, and that they can do it.

whether others deserved a penalty too, it is complicated. but i am sure that at least i didnt see any other dangerous moving like those 2 guys did at the end. And please dont get me wrong. i love that kind of hard racing. it is just dangerous
Date: April 11, 2011 12:54PM
^Watch the start of the race and tell me that was correct :) Please seem to get away with more at the start than they do later in the race even though its just as bad if not worse.

At the time of the race I said to my other half that Lewis was moving to much so I was not shocked tbh. But seeing that others done it I just think he needed a warning, but then again how many does he need lol maybe now he will learn.

I still do not think Alonso needed one, even though it made no difference to his finish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2011 02:58PM by marcl.
Date: April 11, 2011 03:40PM
Posted by: raulongo
Here are some pictures of the GP [j.mp]

By the way, Williams F1 is the WORST team of the season (obviously, HRT doesn't count...). I'm really depressed...

raulgullon.com -
Wedding and Motorsports Photography.
Date: April 11, 2011 03:49PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Yes, Williams would even be behind HRT in the standings if HRT managed to finish the race yesterday...

Although Mercedes GP are pretty awful as well.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: April 11, 2011 04:13PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
maybe nico could have done something if he didnt start so bad. slowly i begin to forget how good driver he actually is. he is great to be honest. and so is schumacher. and the car is like difficult to put in top 10 !!! WOW
Date: April 11, 2011 04:27PM
I am not sure why people are so shocked with Merc, Honda done no better with that team. They got lucky is 2009, and they built 3 cars to get 1 that worked and even at the end of the year they were about 4th fastest.
Date: April 11, 2011 04:34PM
Posted by: Nickv
Because they said they'd be the ones challenging the RedBulls and when they couldn't, they said they would have their act together in Malaysia, which they hadn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy