Posted by danm 
Kimi to NASCAR Truck Series for 2011
Date: March 30, 2011 09:52AM
Posted by: danm
Cool!

[www.gpupdate.net]

Räikkönen switches to NASCAR for 2011
29 March 2011

Finland’s Turun Sanomat newspaper is reporting that 2007 World Champion Kimi Räikkönen will move to NASCAR this year. Having departed Formula 1 at the end of 2009, the Espoo man joined the World Rally Championship but is now set to compete in the Truck Series before switching to the Nationwide and Sprint Cup tiers.

Räikkönen will be departing the World Rally Championship

According to the newspaper, the Finn will be making the American switch in the summer although no exact month has yet been pinpointed. He will work with with debutants ICE1 Racing alongside Foster Gillett – a former key figure of Richard Petty Motorsport.

“I'm really looking forward to getting there and familiarising myself with the NASCAR world,” Räikkönen commented. “I’ve been following it for a long time; it’s a very tough championship but I love the racing spirit there and it’s great to be part of it.”

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2011 09:52AM by danm.
Re: Kimi to NASCAR Truck Series for 2011
Date: March 30, 2011 12:31PM
Posted by: zulu_85
Hmm, if this news story broke in two days time I would have found it amusing but ultimately said it lacked effort. Why the hell would Räikkönen give up rallying for NASCAR???

Goes to show how much I know...

I'm still surprised, but, hey, cool indeed!
Date: March 30, 2011 06:57PM
Posted by: nvooght
Actually I dont think he plans to give up rallying, but he has alot of free time to do some Nascar races.

Date: March 31, 2011 08:17AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
He's still doing WRC. NASCAR is something completely different to anything else in the world. Whilst I hate what the sport has become (commercial filled races, awful coverage and a corrupt governing body), as a driver I bet it's still amazing fun, especially the Trucks and Nationwide series.

As a driver, Kimi should fit in fine in the trucks. As a NASCAR Driver, he might struggle with his lack of public personality (apparently in private he's a blast) and unwillingness to plug sponsors as much.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: April 01, 2011 12:09AM
Posted by: EC83
Sounds like he'll be enjoying himself whatever he does this year though. Great to see.

Date: April 07, 2011 01:01PM
Posted by: gareth
Ha - and he's sponsored by Perky Jerky! Best sponsor EVER!

Source
Date: April 07, 2011 02:43PM
Any chance he'd be trying for the Indy 500 this year?

Date: April 07, 2011 03:10PM
Posted by: vesuvius
danm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any chance he'd be trying for the Indy 500 this
> year?

he said earlier during the rally at portugal that he is interested about it but it depends on what kind of car he would get there.
Date: April 07, 2011 05:26PM
yeah, I read last year rumours and ideas about renting equipment and personnel from KV, but then the idea dried up.

the perky jerky sponsorship is interesting, they've a quite strong new presence with the indy 500 in the last 2 or so years.

the thought of kimi running it is mouth watering...

Date: April 07, 2011 05:43PM
Posted by: NeoLiot
i think it's easier for him to try and race at Las Vegas than Indianapolis...

-------------------------------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy