The Official 2011 Australian GP Thread ****Spoilers!!****

Posted by mcdo 
A lot of the media seem to acknowledge Petrov's podium as good, but what if Kubica was in the car.

I think that the Renault would still have finished 3rd, with Petrov finishing a lot futher back.

or maybe even not finishing :D:D
Thanks Dave. No doubt it would be silly to DQ Lewis for accident damage.

I had always heard Schumi's plank was worn somewhere in the middle and that both ends were legal, which wouldn't be possible under normal running. But I have a hard time finding sources that aren't totally biased. No doubt that Benetton pulled lots of sketchy stuff that year, but the FIA were not doing a good job running things either.
Slash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> looking back, it's impressive how much reliability
> has changed, i remember early 00's when only 8 or
> 9 cars would finish the first race

I suppose another feature of today's race was that there weren't really race-ending collisions and major shunts like we've become accustomed to in Australia...this was the first race in Oz without a safety car since 2007 I think?
Rubens gave it a good go though :)

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
lol, idd, not the first time either, ask Ralf (Brazil), Coulthard (Suzuka), Frentzen (Oz), Heidfeld (China)...
mitadumapaga Wrote:
> i am afraid that massa is all but done for. and
> only if he would ve become WC 2008, he would
> nmaybe had the determination to fight alonso.
> instead he is off to a sad ending of his already
> 10 seasoned career....

It wasn't a great weekend for Massa, but I don't think he let Alonso by. I think it's pretty common in motorsport that if you get overtaken once (albeit illegally in this case), you lose momentum and it's easy to get overtaken again. Also, 85% of the drivers in the field would defend less if their team-mate made a move compared to another drive.

Possibly the worst sign for Ferrari is that they didn't seem to be great at saving their tyres. I think they were going to try a 2-stop strategy with Massa, but his first two stints weren't long enough for that to really work, so his hard tyres burnt out before the end of the third stint. Ferrari have said that they made a mistake with his strategy, so it seems we'll be seeing the hard tyre saved for as late as possible at most races. It will be interesting to see how they all go in the hotter temperatures in Sepang.

Anyway, at least he did a good job defending. His best hope of catching Alonso is if the car is stronger. You could see in 2010 that generally Alonso's strength was getting the most out of a poor car. When the car was good, Massa was much closer - such as Bahrain, Germany and Monza. In fact he was on the podium for 4/5 of Alonso's wins, and didn't get a chance to qualify and go for 100% in Singapore.

Poor form from McLaren and Button. It's happened so many times in recent years (not least France and Belgium in 2008 to themselves) that they shouldn't need clarification. The fact that Button claimed it was a team decision and Whitmarsh claimed it was Button's decision was quite embarrassing as well.

X (@ed24f1)
loren Wrote:
> EC83 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Slash Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > looking back, it's impressive how much
> > reliability
> > > has changed, i remember early 00's when only
> 8
> > or
> > > 9 cars would finish the first race
> >
> > That changed at the start of 2003, when the
> cars
> > started being locked off in parc ferme
> conditions
> > between quali and the race. It soon became
> clear
> > that the teams dismantling the cars to check
> and
> > service them after quali had been causing more
> > reliability problems than it had been fixing.
>
> Probably much more to do with limitations on
> engine and gearbox changes, and rev limiters.

That no doubt has a bearing, yes. But there was a huge improvement in reliability as soon as the 2003 regs came in.

matt3454 Wrote:
> A lot of the media seem to acknowledge Petrov's
> podium as good, but what if Kubica was in the
> car.
>
> I think that the Renault would still have finished
> 3rd, with Petrov finishing a lot futher back.

Lol, what an absurd thing to say, it makes no sense, unless you are suggesting Petrovs result was only derived from Kubicas's absence.

Assuming Kubica took the third, even so, would you not think Petrov then would have been 4th? I don't get why you'd think he'd suddenly not do so well, its mad.

He drove a bloody good race, and fought for it at the start too. The car did play its part, but credit where credit is due.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
I don't think Massa let Alonso through - he was just being Massa. He spent the whole going backwards, and struggled to defend against Jenson a few times. When Alonso got the run on him he wasn't going to fight him the same way he fought Jenson.

Alonso pitted at the end of the lap, so it's not like swapping them put Jenson and McLaren in an impossible position.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Button's move on Massa was always going to fail. His subsequent plan of believing that he was ahead so that he won't have to relinquish that position was also never going to work. Howver, the stewards decision for awarding him a drive through was based on exceeding the track limits. Unless i'm completely wrong, Vettel ran clean of the track to pass someone on the outside and got away with it. He should have been given a drive through for that as well.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

slider Wrote:
> Button's move on Massa was always going to fail.
> His subsequent plan of believing that he was ahead
> so that he won't have to relinquish that position
> was also never going to work. Howver, the stewards
> decision for awarding him a drive through was
> based on exceeding the track limits. Unless i'm
> completely wrong, Vettel ran clean of the track to
> pass someone on the outside and got away with it.
> He should have been given a drive through for that
> as well.

He was penalised for taking a shorter route though. Vettel didn't. And BBC said Buemi went outside the track limits too, but in reality Buemi never passed outside of the lines, he passed in turn 5 afterwards.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
That corner exit needs to be filled with some sort of curbing or gravel.

I dont think Vettel should have got a penalty, but I certainly dont agree with the move.

The STR's was different, as mentioned, he was ahead and like Button avoided an accident. Vettel on the other hand made the choice to go off track it seemed. A penalty would have been wrong, but something should happen with regards to how a track is defined, and punishments for taking advantage off the track.

I didnt agree with Alonso's move on Massa at China, nor Kimi's start at Spa. Drivers tend to take the piss with this sort of thing because the stewards and FIA let them. These issues will be fixed with gravel or something to prevent the drivers doing this. If they make a mistake and go off there, who gives a sh*t, i just dont want to see there being an option for going off track and NOT losing time.

edit - [www.formula1onlive.com]

ermm wtf? and dont say it wasnt common knowledge back then to give the place back, so therefore ALonso needed 3 warnings. I can accept Button's penalty was fair now but did Alonso need 3 warnings? And why didnt Button get 3 warnings? Why didnt race control get back to Mclaren about the situation?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2011 06:58PM by chet.
So it seems Webber just threw a strop when he pulled off at the end? He hasn't posted on Twitter since Friday, and as far as I know he had no car problems at all.

It reminded me of the time Berger pulled off at the finish at Kyalami in '92 - only Berger had a legit reason for doing it.

chet
That corner exit needs to be filled with some sort of curbing or gravel.

Nooo! Don't just remove the corner because it's different. It's a tricky, challenging corner with a proper kerb on the ouside, with different approaches and lines and provides an unlikely overtaking opportunity. You can't just remove corners because people attack them - that's what tracks are about!

For all we know it might have been discussed in the drivers briefing that you could run wide on that corner. People have been doing so since 1996!
I really don't get why the situations are compared. It is a piece of circuit which is *slower* to use. It isn't like Hockenheim were you gain hours of time by using the run off there. And it isn't like Jensons issue, where he made the route shorter and significantly faster.

It's a good corner that is a challenge, heightened by the odd kerbing there. Leave it as it is.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Apparently some clown managed to sneak into the Red Bull garage before qually and broke Webber's airbox trying to take a pic. SMH
A fan managed to lean on a crash test component and break it?

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Great little race career stats comparison tool! :D

[www.4mula1.ro]

Most interesting is Alonso vs Hamilton.

Considering Alonsos only been in a race winning car for 40% of his career to Lewis' 75%, makes for great reading.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
EC83 Wrote:
> So it seems Webber just threw a strop when he
> pulled off at the end? He hasn't posted on Twitter
> since Friday, and as far as I know he had no car
> problems at all.
>
> It reminded me of the time Berger pulled off at
> the finish at Kyalami in '92 - only Berger had a
> legit reason for doing it.

Assuming no car issues, I think he was probably just too embarrassed to do that slow lap back to the pits waving to the ground crowd "hey guys, check out my 5th place while Seb just dominated in the same car".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy