The Official 2011 Australian GP Thread ****Spoilers!!****

Posted by mcdo 
Barrichello said on brazilian TV that he wasn't trying to overtake Rosberg at all that moment. He was defending his position from Kobayashi, and Rosberg braked sooner than expected probably because he was on primes (Barrichello's words). Then the car kept going on and on (while braking) and Rosberg got closer and closer until their collision.
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I missed it if it was said - why did Webber park
> after the race?

There didn't seem anything wrong with the car apart from brake dust spurting so maybe they wanted him to stop close to the pits rather than end up a few kms away?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2011 11:18AM by mcdo.
chet Schreef:
> Anyway, it is what it is. And there is no denying
> that the stewards have been consistent with this
> at least (in relation to Alonso's incident)... I
> guess its similar to Valencia too where Button got
> a penalty there so from that respect I agree with
> the decision, but I still think it was the wrong
> one considering Alonso overtaking Massa too.

Alonso is an irrelevant factor in this. The rule is that if you cut the corner and overtake someone, you have to give that person his position back. If Alonso overtakes Massa in the meantime (whether that was staged or not is debatable), it's Buttons problem, because he brought himself in the position that forces him to give his position back to Massa. If he had backed off immedeatly, like he should have done, Alonso wouldn't have overtaken Massa.
Great race from Petrov and the Sauber lads.

Team Lotus and Virgin were...well, anonymous. Also, Force India are quicker than I thought they would be.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
I really enjoyed that race. It wasn't a thriller, but it was good, always with a close battle and plenty of varying strategy. Excellent prospect for the rest of the season. :)

Petrov and Perez were excellent. Heidfeld was @#$%&. Very @#$%&. Massa managed to convert a 4th place to a 9th and a minute and a half behind the leader. Webber wasn't much better.

Ferrari (well Alonso) looked strong in the race, or certainly a lot closer than they did in qualifying.

Regarding Rubens, it was such a shame he cocked up as he was on fire at that point and up in the top 10 (despite dropped to last on the first lap). The Williams looks epic on the brakes. Still, maybe he did have jet lag after all. ;)

chet
Thing is, the incident isnt the important bit, it was Alonso passing Massa which is key, and of course the lack of reply from race control.

Alonso pitted the lap after or something, but Massa pitted the lap following that, so Button did have a chance to let Massa through.

The problem wasn't so much the 'pass', but that he got such a clear advantage over Massa from taking to the run off. It's similar to Hamilton and Kimi at Spa.
Nickv Wrote:
> chet Schreef:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Anyway, it is what it is. And there is no
> denying
> > that the stewards have been consistent with
> this
> > at least (in relation to Alonso's incident)...
> I
> > guess its similar to Valencia too where Button
> got
> > a penalty there so from that respect I agree
> with
> > the decision, but I still think it was the
> wrong
> > one considering Alonso overtaking Massa too.
>
> Alonso is an irrelevant factor in this. The rule
> is that if you cut the corner and overtake
> someone, you have to give that person his position
> back. If Alonso overtakes Massa in the meantime
> (whether that was staged or not is debatable),
> it's Buttons problem, because he brought himself
> in the position that forces him to give his
> position back to Massa. If he had backed off
> immedeatly, like he should have done, Alonso
> wouldn't have overtaken Massa.

Surely Massa wouldn't have backed off if a driver other than his senior team mate was immediately behind him. So why should two drivers be allowed the benefit of getting past the driver who fouled?

If Massa had made a driver error, allowing a non-Ferrari driver through, should Button still have allowed both past? I don't think so.

Ferrari seemed very quick to respond to the situation, which begs some debate given the spectre of team orders. Can stewards be expected to react with the same speed as teams who may have pre-ordained responses?

Unless a driver chooses to give back the place themselves, waiting on the chance of the drive through was the better option in this instance. Maybe that's why, if they did, McLaren told Button to hold station.
Just another thing, I was defensive of Heidfeld in quali as I didn't think that 18th was representative of his true pace and that he may have had a problem. And also I'm a big fan of his.

He was nowhere to be seen in the race. If he wanted to make an impression, he could have gunned down the road at the start and popped up in tenth or something. But no, he was a disappointment. He needs to sort it out as I expected better things.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
He says he had been hit in the first lap and had a damaged car.
Well, personally, I'm over the moon with Petrov on the podium - thoroughly deserved after this weekend's performance and all the crap that has been shoveled on top of him over the winter. He featured in the Red Button Forum - he won't let go of his trophy! I don't think he was really joking when he said he'll go to sleep tonight still clutching it.
Perez went and stole the show though. I'm delighted for Sauber - looks like they've got a brilliant line-up for the year and great little car.

Martin Whitmarsh got overly defensive of the Button saga, having a go at Brundle for saying it was clearly Button/McLaren's problem while then saying he hadn't actually seen it himself - Jake then shows the footage to him; deadly silence..."...Ah!"
That said, it was a shame the incident happened - Button could have definitely featured in the top 3 otherwise, and even if he didn't get past Massa at that point, it was still fun seeing him try.
I remember rooting him on when that DRS opened up for the first time...really didn't do much, did it? As others have said, it did seem to be positions without taking the actual characteristics of the track into full consideration. But in some respects I'm glad it didn't - yes it did make some overtakes possible, or at least easier, but I certainly don't want it to generate a guaranteed overtake, otherwise you may as well amend the rule so that if the two cars are less than a second apart going into the sector, then the car ahead simply has to yield the position there and then.

Anyway, yes, moving on. Williams - everyone expressing congratulations on all the rookies for doing so well, even D'Ambrosio for simply finishing, yet no one seemed to express any emotion at all for Maldonado having to retire early from his first Grand Prix. And then Barrichello...you know, between throwing the car into the gravel or into fellow competitors, Barrichello seemed to have some nifty pace, as other's have mentioned. It is promising for the car, baring the clear reliability issue - but Rubens' mistakes are not what you'd expect from a guy of his experience.

I think Schumacher could have had a strong race today - I was looking forward to see what he could do, but if the rear of his car gets savaged on lap one, there's not a lot he can do. Rosberg was also very unlucky, but you get the feeling that 6th was probably the best he would have managed.

Vettel was simply untouchable, but you get the feeling that Hamilton could have pushed him harder without his problems, the Red Bull also did not look invincible with its tyres. But Vettel though, as DC would now attest, not only was he super quick and yet super cool afterwards, he's also a great cake thrower! ;)

Webber had a bad day, but comparatively a good home Grand Prix. If he does retire at the end of this season - even if he does somehow win the championship (tall order with Vettel in the team, based on his current form) - it'll still be a sad reflection that a mere 5th place finish will bookend his career at his home Grand Prix, with many shattered cars and dreams - quite a lot of it not his fault - in between.
Though Brundle may be channelling a bit of Murray Walker now that he's taken that old job - "Webber out of the pits...you know we haven't had many people go off on their out lap - Webber's gone off!" ;)
mcdo Wrote:
> Nickv Wrote:
> -----
> > chet Schreef:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Anyway, it is what it is. And there is no
> > denying
> > > that the stewards have been consistent with
> > this
> > > at least (in relation to Alonso's
> incident)...
> > I
> > > guess its similar to Valencia too where
> Button
> > got
> > > a penalty there so from that respect I agree
> > with
> > > the decision, but I still think it was the
> > wrong
> > > one considering Alonso overtaking Massa too.
> >
> > Alonso is an irrelevant factor in this. The
> rule
> > is that if you cut the corner and overtake
> > someone, you have to give that person his
> position
> > back. If Alonso overtakes Massa in the meantime
> > (whether that was staged or not is debatable),
> > it's Buttons problem, because he brought
> himself
> > in the position that forces him to give his
> > position back to Massa. If he had backed off
> > immedeatly, like he should have done, Alonso
> > wouldn't have overtaken Massa.
>
> Surely Massa wouldn't have backed off if a driver
> other than his senior team mate was immediately
> behind him. So why should two drivers be allowed
> the benefit of getting past the driver who
> fouled?
>
> If Massa had made a driver error, allowing a
> non-Ferrari driver through, should Button still
> have allowed both past? I don't think so.
>
> Ferrari seemed very quick to respond to the
> situation, which begs some debate given the
> spectre of team orders. Can stewards be expected
> to react with the same speed as teams who may have
> pre-ordained responses?
>
> Unless a driver chooses to give back the place
> themselves, waiting on the chance of the drive
> through was the better option in this instance.
> Maybe that's why, if they did, McLaren told Button
> to hold station.

I think i have seen a race in which a driver passed someone illegally and then another person passed the same person which mean tthe first driver had to let them both past. Cant remember who or where though.

If im honest I cant quite see how Button/Mclaren thought they would get away with that.

It seems more of an operational issue than anything. The stewards need to react quicker. They can leave it up to the teams but then things like Massa pretty much letting Alonso past happen. If the stewards said they would get back to Martin about what to do, then why should they make their own decision before receiving advice?

Looking at the positives, both Mclaren and Ferrari proved to have race pace strong enough to challenge RedBull.

Comparing Button, Vettel and Lewis (on the same strategy) Button was closer to Vettel and Lewis at the end of the race, relative to where he was after the penalty. I didnt notice much of a drop in pace from Vettel either (to suggest he slowed to save the car), though obviously it's difficult to compare with Lewis given the damage. Buttons times were pretty comparable with the two leading guys throughout the race, had he got the start he needed he would have done a good job. Had he passed Massa, the race between him and Petrov would have been close too imo.

A shame but it is a HUGE relief to know this wont be a two horse race. Both Mclarens, and at least Alonso are in this too!

In fact looking, im pretty sure Button gained time relative to both RBR's, Lewis, Alonso and Petrov. He was 35 seconds (ish) behind Alonso on lap 20, and about 22 seconds behind at the end.

edit - Just watching the highlights. It looked as if Button was about to let Massa past going into 13, he left room on the racing line until it looked like he realized Alonso was there too, then he decided against it. Button deffo did not take the regular line into 13 if he was a) driving normally, or b) defending position. Take another look.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2011 12:38PM by chet.
Perez and Kobayashi have been disqualified from the GP. Not sure why yet.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

The Sauber cars contravened FIA Technical regulations with regard to dimensions at the rear of the car.

The concave radius of sections of the 3 rear wing elements in contact with external air were smaller than the legal 100mm.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
So is there any reason on why Webber parked the car yet? Seems like an incredible hissy fit from Mr AussieGrit, the self proclaimed hard case of F1.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
That's a real sickener considering the feel-good element to Sauber's performance today...

Considering how close Webber and Vettel were at times last year, this weekend has been embarrassing for Webber, in front of his own crowd as well. He has been completely outclassed.
Unfortunate for Button, but he should have just taken the safe option at the time and moved aside after cutting the corner.

The whole tyre thing seems to have been somewhat over-hyped. You'd read some previews and it'd tell you that Button would have a huge advantage in the races cause of his driving style, while the likes of Hamilton and Alonso would be into the wall after a few laps. As it was it didn't make a whole lot of difference. Perhaps at later rounds tyres will cause more trouble.
The only obvious tyre differences to me (between team mates) were the Saubers, and Webber getting 3 laps less than Vettel every stint.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
A real shame about the Saubers. What was the difference between the car now nad the car which went through scrutineering?

Also, I know im going to sound like a broken record, but the more the I look at the numbers the more I cant help but feel Button's pace was as good, if not better than the leaders pace. This shows the gap to Vettel.. with the pit-in laps discounted.

But Vettel was just managing the gap, so what does it matter? Button was pushing, Vettel wasn't, so it isn't a representation of pace at all.

Button screwed himself. Or McLaren screwed him by not being sensible enough to give the place back. I'm sorry but that's how it is.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
I'd say Vettel managed a gap toward the end but i think at least through the middle stint he still pushed...

Re-watching the race, the other thing that bugged me was how Button was always going for the racing line into turn 2 when trying to overtake Massa. He's experienced enough to know the inside line down there dictates the flow through the rest. I know its easy to say now but he should have shoved it inside, and let Massa move or be run into.

Was an ok race today.

Agree with what people have said about Button he should have given the place straight back.

Thought Lewis would get thrown out but the car must have been legal at the end.

Petrov was fantastic well earned 3rd place, as for Nick was happened to him.

I was shocked with Webber was not on the pace all weekend maybe there is something wrong with the car?

There were some really stars out there today all the new drivers done really will.

I still think it will not be until the next race that we see where all the teams stand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2011 04:23PM by marcl.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy