Internet Streams : An American F1 Fan Without the Speed Channel

Posted by slicer 
Yes. I need them. But I want good streams, with commentary in a language I can understand. Not saying that I'm a lazy American, just that I can't afford Russian lessons now, and I'm only 17 and living with my parents so I don't have any control over which channels we get. It seems saving a couple of dollars is more important than keeping up to date on my future engineering career. (sighs)

Anydangway, enough of my rant. Link me up or tell me a cool way to hack into the Dish corporation, your ideas are all welcome.

My thanks to the community
-The Slicerer
Not the place to ask for internet streaming. The reason they're all in Russian is because English-speaking countries actually enforce the laws against that kind of stuff.

If you really want to learn the engineering side, I think you can still get a subscription to Racecar Engineering through EWA.

And if you want to work in F1, hope you've got a European passport. There's always NASCAR though:)
I can understand your problem. AFAIK the BBC offers a livestream on their website. This livestream is limited to people with british IP addresses, so if you just visit their website you won't be able to see anything because the iPlayer or whatever piece of software they are using will recognize that you're trying to log-in from the US.

If you want to avoid this problem, you have to make the iPlayer believe that you're computer is located within the UK. To achieve this goal you have to use a (british) proxy. This proxy will mask your US IP and will instead provide your computer with a british IP so that you'll be able to watch F1 with English commentary without having to use illegal Russian streaming sites.
Using a proxy is perfectly legal, some people also use proxies to hide their IP, so that their online activities can not be traced.

A good proxy service is: h**ps://getfoxyproxy.org/proxyservice/index.html
(** = tt) Most free proxies are not fast enough to allow video streaming. So you probably should invest the money.
Btw, good luck with your engineering carreer. If you ever make it into a F1 team, let me know and get me free paddock tickets ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2011 01:27AM by CK1249.
Thanks you guys. My other problem is that I get up early to go to school. I'm afraid they'll only show the streams live which means I have to wake up at 3 o'clock in the morning to account for the time zone difference.

And to be quite honest I'm not that hostile against foreign streams. I've watched Mystery Science Theater 3000 so I can make up my own commentary hehehe.
Download a program called expat shield (from [expatshield.com]) and it will give you an UK IP address then you can go on bbc.co.uk/f1 and watch the F1 live or go on iplayer and watch it at a more convenient time. That's what I do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2011 02:51AM by mclarenaustralia.
Nice tip, thanks!

X (@ed24f1)
good streams on justin.tv for channels like speed. Good for watching nascar in the UK (H)
Im not sure If I am allowed to post this but if it is illegal you can remove it

I was using this one last year.

Cheers.
well, should we accept it as Legal, after it hasnt been removed for more than 2 hours.
toyo_161 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Im not sure If I am allowed to post this but if it
> is illegal you can remove it
>
> I was using this one last year.
>
>
> Cheers.

Im pretty sure sharing the link is legal. :)

It's up to the user to decide if he clicks onta a video feed or not that may contain copyright.
just goto justin.tv on the weekend of the race and then click on a race stream and the comments on the stream will give you links to an otherwise private stream. At least thats how the Premership Football on Sky is done. It might take a few tries to find the BBC F1 coverage but you'll find it eventually.
I'll see if I can go without Speed this year, by resorting to internet. If you talk to your parents, Speed would cost about $8 more a month as it comes with a sports package, by the way.

I'm going to try my luck on my2p2.
Thanks alot guys. Got Expat shield installed. BUt Im not sure how it works.
Google Tiiveni.

If that goes down, Tor + Mgeni will give you a British ip as CK1429 explained above for British only content. It's fast enough to do streaming. The only thing is that you generally can't watch live content, but you can watch previously aired content with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2011 07:12PM by The Lopper.
Used the BBC stream. Loved it! Way better than Speed!

First off the quality is superb. There is the extra of using headphones so it sounds like I'm actually at the grand prix. And there are absolutely no commercial breaks! I love brits!!!

-The Slicerer

-------------------------------------------------
Yes, thank you for noticing I am the most amazing being in the galaxy.
toyo_161 Wrote:
> Im not sure If I am allowed to post this but if it
> is illegal you can remove it
>
> I was using this one last year.
>
>
> Cheers.

thanks, that will help me at work tomorrow hot

The Lopper Wrote:
> Google Tiiveni.
>
> If that goes down, Tor + Mgeni will give you a
> British ip as CK1429 explained above for British
> only content. It's fast enough to do streaming.
> The only thing is that you generally can't watch
> live content, but you can watch previously aired
> content with it.

If that means I can watch the Red Button then it will be perfect, if I miss a race from that other (excellent) stream link!
Guimengo Wrote:
> The Lopper Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Google Tiiveni.
> >
> > If that goes down, Tor + Mgeni will give you a
> > British ip as CK1429 explained above for
> British
> > only content. It's fast enough to do streaming.
> > The only thing is that you generally can't
> watch
> > live content, but you can watch previously
> aired
> > content with it.
>
>
> If that means I can watch the Red Button then it
> will be perfect, if I miss a race from that other
> (excellent) stream link!

Is full red button coverage left online on iPlayer after the race? I'm not actually sure, but it has all the practice coverage anyways

Just to explain:

Tiiveni = whatever is on regular BBC1 or BBC2 live
Tor with Mgeni = watch anything on BBC's iPlayer, but live coverage often doesn't work with this, so you may have to watch it later.

//EDIT: Red Button coverage does go online, was able to watch the F1 Forum with Mgeni an hour or two after it finished.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2011 04:56PM by The Lopper.
The Lopper Wrote:
> Just to explain:
>
> Tiiveni = whatever is on regular BBC1 or BBC2
> live
> Tor with Mgeni = watch anything on BBC's iPlayer,
> but live coverage often doesn't work with this, so
> you may have to watch it later.

Getting issues here, Tor opens an old version of Mozilla and cannot run Flash 10, even though I know the bloody thing is installed in the computer. In Mgeni I am not being able to switch countries, I click on the globe but nothing happens :(.
I don't use the Tor Mozilla Broswer for anything, I just start Tor and then when that's running, I open up Mgeni...has Mgeni checked to make sure Tor is running, is the globe coloured in?

It never failed for me, could try installing Mgeni again, but maybe it is something to do with your computer.

I wouldn't use Tor or Mgeni for regular browsing, security wise they're like sieves. But it's the best thing for iPlayer I have found.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2011 04:57PM by The Lopper.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy