BBC considering axe for F1 coverage

Posted by iCeMaN pAuL 
BBC considering axe for F1 coverage
Date: March 18, 2011 10:46AM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
[uk.eurosport.yahoo.com]

i really, really hope they don't..

[en-gb.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2011 10:48AM by iCeMaN pAuL.
Re: BBC considering axe for F1 coverage
Date: March 18, 2011 11:36AM
Posted by: danm
What an absolute JOKE.

Wimbledon saved for what, nostalgic reasons? Off peak F1 viewing times and small audiences makes it top of the chopping board? Um, hello, most of Wimbledon is on during weekdays when the vast majority of people are at work, and even then, its hardly THAT popular. I bet they spend as much in 2 weeks on Wimbledon as they do for an entire F1 season.

Less football, Rugby, heck, get rid of the bloody Athletics, if anything. Less crappy new dancing on ice come superstar megaphone strictly talent junk too.

Oh, and stop paying the presenters too much. That way, you keep the tv shows, save money, and bring some of these 'celebs' back to earth from their high horses.

Jonathon Ross, as much a dude as he is, could take a 90% paycut, still live like a king, and we'd keep F1. If they all took a dip.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: March 18, 2011 12:45PM
Posted by: nvooght
Well Jonathan Ross doesnt work for the BBC anymore so surely some of his money could go towards the coverage.....

I agree though about the presenters getting way to much, and also I dont actually know anyone who watches athletics, complete waste.

Date: March 18, 2011 12:49PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
I wouldn't read too much into this - this article is from the same person that wrote another article saying the 2010 F1 season would be the most boring season ever.

Date: March 18, 2011 12:56PM
Posted by: marcl
I do hope not as it will end up on Sky :(
Date: March 18, 2011 12:58PM
Posted by: matt3454
Athletic's is pointless on BBC, just have it on Eurosport or not.

I can't remember if BBC still have it, but if they do, get rid of Darts. Its not even a bloody sport. Its just fat men throwing sharp objects at boards.

Also, get rid of Chris Moyles, im pretty sure hes on a hefty wage.

Date: March 18, 2011 04:15PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
I'd be surprised if there's a grain of truth in this. At the minute with Jenson and LEWIS OH MY GOD LEWIS, it's rather popular and much more people are watching it than in the Schumi era.
Date: March 18, 2011 08:19PM
Posted by: gav
matt3454
Also, get rid of Chris Moyles, im pretty sure hes on a hefty wage.

But he can do 52 hour shifts! Though on the negative side, 52 hours of feeding Chris Moyles is going to eat into the license fee... and it's Chris Moyles.

Personally, I'm just waiting for the day that we pay for the TV we watch. And I don't mean like Sky, Virgin or BT (in the UK). When internet TV takes off properly (which it is guaranteed to do at some point in the next decade or two) we should be swinging towards paying for the programmes we watch, not for the dross they think we want to watch.

My TV schedule goes like this:
- F1
- Top Gear (despite how poor it has become)
- Football
- A well advertised and genuinely interesting looking documentary or factual show
- Erm... the news if there is a big story
And that's it.

I don't want to fund Eastenders or Strictly Come Publicising, but I'll gladly pay plenty for the programmes that I do want to watch.

TV adverts are going to die. PVRs and HTPCs are going to kill them off (I'm staggered companies still advertise at all to be honest, given what they have to pay to have their adverts skipped) and all that's left is to move towards subscription TV over IP.

Everything is in place. It's only a matter of time.
Date: March 18, 2011 08:33PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Won't happen.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 18, 2011 09:10PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Won't happen.

I hope you're right...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: March 18, 2011 09:10PM
Posted by: EC83
matt3454 Wrote:
> Also, get rid of Chris Moyles, im pretty sure hes
> on a hefty wage.

He's on about half a million pounds a year, which is less than he used to get paid.
He's the kind of guy you either love or hate(As people who suffer me on Twitter will know, I'm firmly in the former category). But I think the positives about him massively outweigh the negatives, and the record-breaking radio show he's just done should be proof of that alone. The BBC would lose out by having a different DJ in his place who would probably get far fewer listeners, and would get paid nearly as much.

Regarding the BBC axing their F1 coverage - agreed with Dave, I don't think there's any danger of it happening. But even if there was any truth in it, the earliest it could happen would be 2014. So it's not like we'd need to worry about it anytime soon, whatever happens.

Date: March 19, 2011 12:40AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
gav Wrote:
>When internet TV
> takes off properly (which it is guaranteed to do
> at some point in the next decade or two) we should
> be swinging towards paying for the programmes we
> watch, not for the dross they think we want to
> watch.

Yes, but...

A lot of programs snare their viewers when they're channel flicking, you see something which grabs your attention and you may watch it. Then the next week, you may watch it again. With internet TV in the manner you described, exposure would be massively reduced. I can't see a lot of TV companies or studios particularly liking this. Obviously when new series come out the pilot will be free, after which you pay per view (or per series), but for some companies that won't be anywhere near as much "random exposure" as they would like.

C'est problematik.
Date: March 19, 2011 01:39AM
Posted by: gav
loque
A lot of programs snare their viewers when they're channel flicking, you see something which grabs your attention and you may watch it.

But those sort of programmes tend to be on obscure channels which hold no say in the market. They just bob around from highest bidder to higher bidder.

In this country, the BBC (and Government) hold all the cards. As things stand, if they change their system, everything has to adapt with them. Sky, Virgin, BT. For years everyone has been clamouring for a reduction in the license fee, yet most of the BBC changes suggested in the review last year have been pushed aside. They must know they're going to have to reinvent the model.

It may not happen until I retire, and part of me hopes it doesn't (though it would punish square-eyed TV-aholics), but we're not going to fund constant upgrades to over-the-air TV broadcasting infrastructure or satellites... it will eventually move to TV-over-IP...

And when it happens, the only question is in which form.
Date: March 19, 2011 08:26AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
(though it would punish square-eyed TV-aholics)

Good. It'll cut down on trash TV, and it'll make people get off there arses more.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 19, 2011 01:30PM
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer
I'd love a switch to exclusively PPV TV. My viewing habits are 1) F1 2) MotoGP 3) Football 4) Question Time. I'd pay for the first three, but I doubt I'd miss anything else on TV.

[Website]
Date: March 22, 2011 01:21PM
Posted by: pironi14
i dont think the beeb will cut F1 BUT if they did i would refuse to pay the license fee. Why should i have to pay for mindless crap like strictly come dancing etc. As for Wimbledon there is no way in hell they will cut it even though it wouldnt break my heart if they did.
Date: June 19, 2011 06:57PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
It's now being reported again. :( [en.espnf1.com]

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: June 20, 2011 10:53AM
Posted by: danm
...take out the F1 coverage for a few hours every other weekend, so it can pay for one of its lesser popular entire channels!?

Right... makes sense.. not.

Why not just get rid of the repeats on BBC2, cram the experimental crap from the BBC three and four, and everyones happy.

Less channels to organise, and you can be more picky with wasting money on new comedy that is usually junk anyway.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: June 20, 2011 11:01AM
Posted by: mclarenaustralia
"Morning! LOTS of 'F1 on the BBC' questions again. Unsure of the future, I do know viewing is at a 10 year high and people love F1 on the BBC"
@jakehumphreyf1 (Jake Humphrey)
Date: June 26, 2011 04:27AM
Posted by: EC83
It's still all just speculation right now. Until there's an official announcement I'm not really bothered - they'll need to give people some advance warning if they decide to drop it. But if they do, it'll still be easy to choose coverage we like since it'll be streamed online, probably through a number of different sources. It's not 1992 anymore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2011 04:32AM by EC83.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy