The 2011 Formula One Season

Posted by madotter 
Re: The 2011 Formula One Season
Date: May 18, 2011 01:38PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Supposedly some teams were running 100% throttle to use the exhaust gases, even when under braking.

I wouldn't be surprised if the FIA's justification for this is that it's fuel wasting. Even so, maybe they could have waited until next year to make the change.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: May 18, 2011 01:41PM
Posted by: Nickv
Their justification is that you're not supposed to get aerodynamic gains from the engine.
Date: June 02, 2011 12:37AM
Posted by: chet
[www.autosport.com]

We'll see what the upgrades bring but Wirth has overal disappointed. How much is due to the lack of money I cant say. How much is due to the CFD only approach is debatable but either way, Wirth is out. To reference Wirth's previous race car experience is irrelevant against F1.

Still, im sure Wirth and his company will continue with consultancy work for other F1 teams. Experienced gained these last seasons will be invaluable too not only them, but other F1 teams. Do not be surprised to see the teams pick up Wirth to do some stuff. No doubt his CFD facilities will exceed that of some other teams (exception being FI, and Mclaren probably!) and im sure they will want another way to validate their data, maybe using Wirth's own generate codes. I was about to apply for a job with them, I hope this doesnt make it more difficult :p. And after reading that ill be applying at Virgin too :p

Whatever the case Branson needs to stop being a stingy bastard! Something needs to change for them to get more money. Lotus for example seem to have an awesome PR and marketing dept... Something Virgin seem to lack.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: June 02, 2011 09:12AM
Posted by: gav
Nick Wirth has shown that he can lead a team capable of making a cracking little car (look at the 1995 Simtek), so I've little doubt he's still a capable designer.

Whether the CFD-only approach is/was right or not will be debated until a major team takes it on, but for the amount of money Virgin were apparently willing to spend, it was the only realistic option they had. If they're moving to a more traditional approach, they'll either have to pump more money into it for next year, or they're going to have to get lucky with the models they'll be taking into the wind tunnel.

When it comes down to it, they're the only team without a major technical partner and they're skinflints in comparison to other teams. How could they be expecting to be any higher?
Date: June 02, 2011 03:35PM
Yup! Lotus must attribute alot of their success to Renault, and RedBull for providing such an awesome drive train. Surely that alone must be worth at least 0.75/lap over the Xtrac system?

Date: June 02, 2011 05:51PM
Posted by: Guimengo
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nick Wirth has shown that he can lead a team
> capable of making a cracking little car (look at
> the 1995 Simtek), so I've little doubt he's still
> a capable designer.
>
> Whether the CFD-only approach is/was right or not
> will be debated until a major team takes it on,
> but for the amount of money Virgin were apparently
> willing to spend, it was the only realistic option
> they had. If they're moving to a more traditional
> approach, they'll either have to pump more money
> into it for next year, or they're going to have to
> get lucky with the models they'll be taking into
> the wind tunnel.
>
> When it comes down to it, they're the only team
> without a major technical partner and they're
> skinflints in comparison to other teams. How could
> they be expecting to be any higher?

That Simtek was from 16 years ago and back then there was more leeway with cars and non-top teams could still surprise and show up in the front(ish). The matter of fact is that things just didn't work with the Virgin car though I hope their upgrade package that is meant to be coming in the next few months will actually work.
Date: June 02, 2011 08:41PM
Guimengo
That Simtek was from 16 years ago and back then there was more leeway with cars and non-top teams could still surprise and show up in the front(ish).

True, but he showed he could build a decent, simple chassis with a grand total of 40 employees. Verstappen's staggering (if short) performance in Argentina showed what a tidy, balanced car it was. It's just a shame it had so few races to prove it, entering only 5 races.

I'm not going to pretend Wirth is a stunning designer or anything, because in F1 he's not shown that he is, but when it comes to designing racing cars, there's plenty of evidence to say he's competent at it.
Date: June 03, 2011 03:25PM
Posted by: marcl
I am not shocked they ended the partnership tbh, He had all the resources at Benetton as well and could not build a top car.

Every other designer on the track said you need to use a wind tunnel to do well and he said you dont. I know they have a tight budget etc but all HRT done was throw some new wings on the car and they are even on the pace of Virgin who built a new car.

Tbh I dont think Virgin will be round much longer anyway so this for me is beginning of the end.
Date: June 03, 2011 06:12PM
Posted by: Guimengo
I hope they can survive and improve. I believe that regardless of what software you use, you still need real world validation. There is a reason why Newey is so keen on spending time in the wind tunnel (though he should spend some time in the barber shop getting his back neck hair trimmed ;))!
Date: June 04, 2011 12:58PM
Posted by: alexf1man
Rubens Barrichello Helmet image (Twitpic) which I found.

WIP: Side view . . . . Front View . . . . Rear View

2012 calendar on F1F

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2011 12:22PM by alexf1man.
Date: June 05, 2011 02:18PM
Posted by: pankykapus
Meanwhile in Japan:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2011 02:20PM by pankykapus.
Date: June 05, 2011 04:16PM
Posted by: mika19b
pankykapus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Meanwhile in Japan:

What the hell is he doing running in front of it?!? Crazy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2011 04:16PM by mika19b.
Date: June 05, 2011 04:21PM
Posted by: LeeBeau
i'm sure there's a perfectly good explanation for that
Date: June 05, 2011 04:23PM
Buemi's probably almost as lucky as the man.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 05, 2011 05:35PM
Posted by: pankykapus
Yeah he could have got a nice kick in the head. At which point did the man think "no worries, it's gonna be fine"?
Date: July 06, 2011 11:39PM
Posted by: danm
Take with a pinch of salt...

a little birdie of 2 person chain source has told me that McLaren are currently being snubbed badly by the Mercedes Engine Department.

Word is that the relationship is getting progressively worse, with the works Mercedes team getting all the updates and priority treatment sidelining McLaren big time.

McLaren are working on their own engine plans. Mercedes are sniffing a B team investment.

But then most of this is already common knowledge!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2011 11:40PM by danm.
Date: July 07, 2011 08:29AM
Not a huge surprise, I suppose - Mercedes want to be the leading Mercedes team.

Recently Martin Whitmarsh didn't sound very confident of McLaren making their own engines, so maybe they might attract a new or returning engine manufacturer. Honda is an obvious possibility.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: July 07, 2011 11:24AM
There have been links about Mercedes and STR.

Maybe RBR will offload them for HRT andd Mercedes will pick them up?

Date: July 07, 2011 05:33PM
SchueyFan
Recently Martin Whitmarsh didn't sound very confident of McLaren making their own engines, so maybe they might attract a new or returning engine manufacturer. Honda is an obvious possibility.

After so many years of F1 refusing to turn back the clock, we're looking at ~1.5L turbos, slicks, Williams Renault, Lotus Renault (x2) and now you've suggesting McLaren Honda. I'm not sure I'd cope with so much retro. :D

Now Bernie... how about bringing the 'Schleife back too? ;)
Date: July 07, 2011 11:33PM
Posted by: danm
Ferrari BLACK REAR WING ENDPLATES. Then I am sold! :)

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy