Chrische Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, i'm pretty sure they already knew who it
> would be, even before today ;)
> i explicitly meant some people here and their
> attitude, for renault it's reasonable to have a
> plan b, whether things happen or not.

It is what it is.

It's only natural to be thinking about the next step. It's not direspectful. We are discussing a subject that will be hot on the minds of the Renault staff right now. Sure they'll be thinking of Robert as we are but F1 doesnt stop just because somebody get's injured.

I hope your not implying that those of us who have discussed the possible driver changes are disrespectful because that's quite an insult.

Chrische Wrote:
>and it's not right to discuss potential drivers who might do the job, since that is so unimportant right now

Im sorry, but when is it the right time? How do we define that time? Also, I dont quite understand this statement, what is important right now??

Dave - thats an awful picture! It was obvious a random accident but can the car's saftey be bought into question? Also, it was mentioned he was waiting for an hour+. If the car was hanging like that then that alone would have been pretty scary too!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Re: The 2011 Formula One Season
Date: February 06, 2011 11:45PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I doubt you can question the cars safety. It crumpled on impact exactly like it's meant to do. But it had a sharp edge of steel pointing directly at it. That'd go through anything not designed specifically for that type of impact, and lets face it, no car is ever designed to take the sharp edge of a barrier - that's why in the U we have concrete posts on the end of them, with the barrier lowering into the ground, rather than an open edge. If anything, the issue is the exposed rail. Had it hit a few cm to the other side then it'd hit the engine block and just folded.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 06, 2011 11:53PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Well. This has put a massive bummer on this year already for me.

Thankfully he is still alive, when it could have easily gone the other way, but still... damn.

Nobody is invincible.
Date: February 06, 2011 11:59PM
Posted by: EC83
Yeah, cheers for the pic, shows a lot of the harshness of the impact.

And regarding us talking about who will stand in for Robert, how the hell that can be seen as disrespectful escapes me. When a race driver is sidelined the team needs to decide ASAP who his stand-in will be, and naturally everybody who is interested in the sport also wonders. That's not disrespect or lack of compassion, it's common sense.

Date: February 07, 2011 12:08AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
TBH I think the PC bandwagon has been well and truly jumped on today..
Date: February 07, 2011 12:08AM
Posted by: msater
I was eager to see what this Renault was going to be like with a top driver at the wheel...probably not gonna happen now :(

Anyway, get better soon Robert, I have absolute confidence you can and will :)

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2011 12:09AM by msater.
Date: February 07, 2011 12:38AM
Posted by: danm
horrific news indeed. hope he pulls through, we can only wait and pray.

on a sidenote, can you imagine if that renault/lotus is a brawn innovation. i hope he comes out ok, this is really devastating.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: February 07, 2011 12:45AM
It's gutting for me cos I've been a huge fan of the guy right from the start, since before he was an F1 driver, and more than ever since his Montreal 2007 crash.

Date: February 07, 2011 12:54AM
Posted by: marcl
DaveEllis Wrote:
> I doubt you can question the cars safety. It
> crumpled on impact exactly like it's meant to do.
> But it had a sharp edge of steel pointing directly
> at it. That'd go through anything not designed
> specifically for that type of impact, and lets
> face it, no car is ever designed to take the sharp
> edge of a barrier - that's why in the U we have
> concrete posts on the end of them, with the
> barrier lowering into the ground, rather than an
> open edge. If anything, the issue is the exposed
> rail. Had it hit a few cm to the other side then
> it'd hit the engine block and just folded.

Its just a freak accident that sorry to say we have seen a number of times in the past. The Senna crash for example, so many times people have crashed there but the angle he hit the wall at caused the chain reaction. Same goes for many others it just happens and there is nothing anyone can ever do to stop the freak accidents from happening no matter how safe you try and make the sport.

Robert was doing something he enjoyed doing and yes he is probably really angry etc but in a way unlike some others that have got hurt falling down stairs or a normal road accident he was racing and risks are always there.

Hope that makes some sense.

I am truly gutted for the guy and all his fans. My thoughts are with him and hope we see him soon.
Content removed by forum moderator

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2011 08:37AM by mortal.
Date: February 07, 2011 01:22AM
Posted by: nvooght
Such a shame this has happened, having seen that picture though hes lucky and unlucky at the same time..

Hopefully he makes a full recovery at some point.

This is irrelevant to the current conversation and also insensitive. If you're going to post your advertising here, please at least have the decency to make a new topic.

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2011 08:38AM by mortal.
Date: February 07, 2011 03:55AM
Not just insensitive, off-topic and an advert, that post is also buggering up the thread by changing the title, which only mods or the OP have the right to do.

Clearly a "green" user.

Date: February 07, 2011 07:12AM
Posted by: Ilkayplaya
It was definitely disrespectful to talk about a possible replacement since Kubica was in the operation and his life or future was in doubt. Still it is. Maybe Renault has to think about these things but we all are NOT a member of the team and the decision won't be in our hands.
Date: February 07, 2011 08:34AM
Posted by: senninho
Renault now reporting that his hand is pumping blood and is warm, which is a *very* good start...

Date: February 07, 2011 09:05AM
Posted by: elemental
Ilkayplaya Wrote:
> It was definitely disrespectful to talk about a
> possible replacement since Kubica was in the
> operation and his life or future was in doubt.
> Still it is. Maybe Renault has to think about
> these things but we all are NOT a member of the
> team and the decision won't be in our hands.

Disrespectful? It's not like people are standing outside the operating theatre shouting "oh awesome, maybe Heidfeld will get the drive!". Seriously, what nonsense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2011 09:05AM by elemental.
Date: February 07, 2011 09:17AM
Posted by: gav
Ilkayplaya
It was definitely disrespectful to talk about a possible replacement since Kubica was in the operation and his life or future was in doubt. Still it is. Maybe Renault has to think about these things but we all are NOT a member of the team and the decision won't be in our hands.

Oh FFS. The guy was injured. He was always injured. Only one source that I know of (the German news channel/station/media n-tv.de) were ever reporting that there was any slight danger to his life. The absolute worst anyone else was saying was a crushed hand.

Yes it's harsh on Kubica, but life moves on. He's still got his, for which he should be massively grateful for given that barrier nearly went straight through him, and hopefully he'll get back the full functionality of his hand and come back a better driver than ever. In the meantime, Renault have a team to run, and yes, I'm sure their thoughts were with Kubica yesterday, like most of ours, but they've got to get ready for a the new season at possibly the busiest time. There'll be a time for tears and reflection, but it's not when the guy is having a non-life threatening operation on his hand.

Grow a pair.
Date: February 07, 2011 09:27AM
Disrespectful? It's not like people are standing outside the operating theatre shouting "oh awesome, maybe Heidfeld will get the drive!". Seriously, what nonsense.

This. Kubica is awesome, and I feel really bad given what has happened. But it isn't disrespectful. I bet Robert doesn't care in the slightest who is in that car this season either.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 07, 2011 09:59AM
Posted by: senninho
Eric Boullier (via Twitter): "Rallying is what RK loves to do. We knew the risks and so did he. We didn't want a robot or a corporate man for a driver."

I think that answers the 'did Renault know' question quite conclusively.

Date: February 07, 2011 10:23AM
senninho Wrote:
> Eric Boullier (via Twitter): "Rallying is what RK
> loves to do. We knew the risks and so did he. We
> didn't want a robot or a corporate man for a
> driver."
>
> I think that answers the 'did Renault know'
> question quite conclusively.

It also puts a massive spin on what actually happened, to make Renault seem like they give the drivers complete freedom. They denied Kubica an entry to Rally Monte Carlo saying he was only allowed to drive a Renault based car. He refused because there is no decent Renault entry. Only after arguing was he allowed in the Skoda. So it isn't as nice and clean as Renault are making it out to be.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy