Fernando Alonso 'Moans', Ferrari cry 'scandal' at 'manipulated' result

Posted by RebelWithoutaCause 

Double F1 World Champion Fernando Alonso was left fuming with former team-mate Lewis Hamilton and race stewards for what he claims was a 'manipulation' of the result of the 2010 European Grand Prix in Valencia - as Ferrari cried 'scandal'
Fernando Alonso and Ferrari have launched a scathing outburst at the stewards following the 2010 European Grand Prix, with the double F1 World Champion blasting that the race was 'manipulated' and that he was penalised for 'respecting the rules' – going on to conclude that 'everything is against us'.

On home turf, Alonso was running third in Valencia when the safety car came out on lap nine to allow for Mark Webber's wrecked Red Bull Racing to be attended to, but whilst second-placed McLaren-Mercedes adversary Lewis Hamilton just ahead of him overtook the safety car on his way back to the pit-lane at full speed for new tyres, the Spaniard adhered to the letter of the law and waited dutifully behind.

Although Hamilton was administered a drive-through penalty for his indiscretion, that was as nothing compared to the time loss suffered by Alonso, with the 22-time grand prix-winner slipping virtually to the back of the field as a result of his delay and recovering only to ninth at the chequered flag – eighth following the rash of post-race punishments meted out – whilst his former team-mate finished second.

In the immediate aftermath of the incident, a furious Alonso had radioed his team to demand that they notify the stewards of Hamilton's actions, but it would be another twelve laps before it was revealed that the Briton was under investigation, and four further still before his penalty was announced. Crucially, by then he had been able to pull away sufficiently from third-placed Kamui Kobayashi – the Sauber ace doing a superb job up in P3, but holding the field up nonetheless – that he could rejoin from his unplanned extra stop still in second position.

The 18 points tallied by Hamilton and just four by Alonso have left a 29-point gap between them in the title chase and seen the latter slip to fifth spot whilst the former continues to lead – and the Oviedo native was quick to express his displeasure with the stewards, who included erstwhile rival and three-time grand prix-winner Heinz-Harald Frentzen.

It seems it was very difficult to watch a replay – it must take many laps,” he sarcastically railed in an interview with Spanish sports newspaper AS. “It's a shame, not for us because this is racing, but for all the fans who came here to watch a manipulated race. Everything is against us – it seems they allow everything, and the public has seen a race that is not quite real.

“We were running well, in third after a good start. Then the safety car came out, which wasn't too good for us, but Hamilton overtook the safety car, something that I had never seen, overtaking the medical car with yellow flags. We were a metre off each other, and he finished second and I finished ninth.

“This race was to finish second, then with the safety car I would have finished where I finished in ninth, and Hamilton in eighth – but here, when you do the normal thing, which is respecting the rules, you finish ninth, and the one who doesn't respect them finishes second.”

Alonso's reference to 'everything' being allowed is perhaps also a thinly-veiled allusion back to the previous outing in Montreal, when he had been open in his criticism after the race of backmarkers Jarno Trulli and Karun Chandhok – whose lack of co-operation when being lapped, he argued, had arguably cost him victory in the Canadian Grand prix – and in his anger that no sanctions had been taken against the pair. Four years ago at Monza, he had famously decried that F1 'is no longer a sport' after he was unfairly penalised by stewards for having been deemed to have blocked now team-mate Felipe Massa during qualifying for the 2006 Italian Grand Prix.

'A scandal – that's the opinion of so many fans and experts involved in the sport, who are all in agreement,' read an outspoken statement on Ferrari's official website, speaking about the Valencia controversy. 'There is no other way to describe what happened during the European Grand Prix. The way the race and the incidents during it were managed raise doubts that could see F1 lose some credibility again, as it was seen around the world.'

Hamilton, however, remains unrepentant – and insistent that his punishment adequately fit the crime, given that he couldn't actually recall passing the safety car on the track.

“I took my penalty,” the 25-year-old asserted. “It's quite a long time to spend at 60km/h in the pit-lane – and I came out second. I don't see how that's unfair – it's racing, those are the rules and we all have to accept them.” Meanwhile President
Luca Di Montezemolo
said on Monday that the situation was unacceptable and that it cast a shadow over the credibility of the sport.

"The result of yesterday's race was misrepresentative," di Montezemolo said on Ferrari's website. "Ferrari, which showed itself to be competitive in the European Grand Prix, paid a price that was too high for respecting the rules.

"Meanwhile those who didn't follow the rules were penalised by the race officials in a way that was less severe than the damage suffered by those who did respect them.

"That is a very serious and unacceptable event that creates dangerous precedents, throwing a shadow over the credibility of Formula 1.

"We are sure that the FIA will fully analyse what happened, taking the consequent necessary decisions. Ferrari will watch this with interest."

© 1999 - 2010 Jonathan Summers Media Group
The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is approved by the owner.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2010 09:22AM by RebelWithoutaCause.
Yes Ferrari, a good number of people also thought it was unfair when you won a race taking a penalty in the pit lane after the race had completed.

Many people also thought it was unfair when Rubens moved over for MS at the last corner of the Austrian GP.

Also at Valencia 2008 Massa cut up Sutil in the pit lane and got away with it when others have had a drive through for that.

Kimi in France was not bought into the pits even though a bit of his car were hanging off.

Massa has a crash with an STR, near enough everyone says it was the fault of Massa but Seb gets the panalty.

2 of the above kept Massa in the championship battle.

Alonso thinks that its 100% ok ro win a race even though the team have asked the 2nd driver to crash into the wall and cause a safety car.

It makes me laugh how teams easily forget what they have done in the past. Ferrari has got away with a lot more than other teams have and for the 1st time in ages something in a race has not happened as they want it to they go mad.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2010 11:37AM by marcl.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Lol Mortal.
From this article: [www.autosport.com]

Alonso and Ferrari believe delays by the FIA in handing Hamilton the punishment allowed the Briton to build up enough of a cushion over his nearest car to take a drive-through penalty without losing a place.

AUTOSPORT understands, however, that the delays were caused simply by the FIA getting hold of timing data, aerial film footage and transponder location information to be 100 per cent sure that Hamilton had definitely passed the safety car before the line.

Ferrari and Alonso are really treading a fine line here, very very close to bringing the sport into disrepute.
After seeing this comment from Lewis hamilton ""Yeah," said Hamilton. "I even saw him overtaken by a Sauber [Kamui Kobayashi] on the big screen." I understand what he says, but this cleary shows how arrogant he is and how big his ego is. I Don't like Fernando Alonso right now, But can't he show some respect. It might be pity someday it may happen to him aswell as we say in otherwords
"Karma"
. Becareful what you say, you might be ashamed someday when that exactly happens to you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2010 01:39PM by RebelWithoutaCause.
Would like to remind people that Ferrari's past is irrelevant to whether what they say is true or not.
Lewis made them comments after he was told Alonso said the safety thing made him angry and ruined his race, so for me that part posted is taken out of context as you need the question before it. Lewis also said it was good to know that anger is an alonso weakness.

Its not the 1st time we have seen alonso lose it after he gets angry, canada when he wanted fissi moved out the way alonso then hit the wall. China when he wanted fissi to hold up MS. This is a weakness for alonso, one of few. Hungry when he was angry he then brake tested a car down the main straight, but went on to make sure MS also got a penalty by slowing down so much ms went past him as he thought alonso was breaking down.

But its like that time when lewis said I never get over taken round the outside and then in the next 2 races he was :)

Looks like Lewis and Alonso have started their little insults again, which tbh adds to the sport as at the moment everyone is just to nice to each other lol. We need Senna vs Prost and Mansell vs Piquet stuff again.

This is what was said, sound very different when you read the whole thing.

Quoted by the Press Association on Tuesday, Hamilton was asked whether Alonso's moaning was a simple case of sour grapes.

"Yeah," said Hamilton. "I even saw him overtaken by a Sauber [Kamui Kobayashi] on the big screen. It's very unlike him to be overtaken by a Sauber so he must have been completely in another world. But I don't understand why I affected his race so much.

[www.autosport.com]

Kobyashi as actually praised alonso as he said had alonso not let his pass they would have crashed.

But you have to ask why Sutil could pass the STR and a Ferrari could not, even with its faster straight line speed thanks to the f-duct.

Also Ferrari tell us they were held behind the safety car for the whole lap, again not true it was half a lap.

Its done now nothing that Ferrari or Alonso is going to change it, the penalty has been served right or wrong. As I said before I feel it should have been a stop go.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2010 02:00PM by marcl.
I read that Ferrari said that the Safety Car hold 'em up until Corner 14 or so. So you can't say that they lied..it's obviously not the case.
Also I want to tell sth. to all people who start arguing with: Ferrari had so much luck in the past. You don't have to remind us of things that happened in the past. We talk about the things that happened last Sunday and it's obvious that Hamilton took profit out of his absolutely unfair overtaking. We all know that Hamilton knew in this moment what would happen if he blocks Alonso and overtakes the Safety Car. It was obviously a prepared maneuver. People who don't see this are blind.
So let's get this right Lewis risked getting a penalty or black flag to hold up alonso, don't think so some how. Had lewis not slowed he would have beaten the safety car alonso was never going to, watch the replay. Alonso had dropped to far behind Lewis and only got that close as Lewis backed off.

I do not think Lewis done anything on purpose at all. He served his penalty it's not his fault that they took so long to view it all is it?

Yes Ferrari got unlucky, maybe next time alonso will get the luck like in other races this year and the past.
In all the press I have read from Ferrari they say behind the safety car for a lap not corner 14.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2010 02:55PM by marcl.
marcl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So let's get this right Lewis risked getting a
> penalty or black flag to hold up alonso, don't
> think so some how. Had lewis not slowed he would
> have beaten the safety car alonso was never going
> to, watch the replay. Alonso had dropped to far
> behind Lewis and only got that close as Lewis
> backed off.
>
> I do not think Lewis done anything on purpose at
> all. He served his penalty it's not his fault
> that they took so long to view it all is it?
>
> Yes Ferrari got unlucky, maybe next time alonso
> will get the luck like in other races this year
> and the past.
> In all the press I have read from Ferrari they say
> behind the safety car for a lap not corner 14.

Well said.

Lewis blocking Alonso? Pah! Now people are just looking for excuses.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
I don't think Lewis would have had the capacity to think that quickly about a) doing it, b) what impact slowing Alonso would have and c) what penalty he may receive and whether he'd lose out from such a penalty. F1 drivers are usually quick in the head, but I'd be staggered if his team weren't on the radio informing him of his own situation by then.

That said, it was peculiar that he raced back to the line (give or take) yet slowed dramatically on doing so. Usually you'd keep a decent pace until you caught the safety car, and Alonso and Massa certainly were frustrated at Hamilton slowing so much, and it was quite clear in his mind that

Like I said, a strange set of circumstances, but he's a lot sharper than I gave him credit for if he was thinking of hurting someone's race in such a manner. If he were to do that, he's worse than Alonso, as he'd be hurting Alonso's race without knowing what effect it would have on his.

Nah, sorry. As much as we all like conspiracy theories, it was just Lewis having another dim moment.

//edit: In order to clear this lot up, they should just stop pitstops during the safety car period. There is no reason for them any more. If anyone does pit and changes tyres (due to punctures or severe blisters), they should drop to the back of the pack and be forced to keep a used set of the same type of tyres on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2010 04:02PM by gav.
I do agree with what Flavio is saying though, over taking the safety car is as bad as going through the red light at the end of the pit lane and lewis should have been given the black flag. It would have been harsh but maybe that rule needs to be bought in.

Dont get me wrong I can see why Ferrari and Alonso are upset, but they should be angry with the FIA not Lewis he though he was passed it in time. He only just lost out by less than a second as well. Someone else has said the line on the track is not right anyway as its a straight line on a corner so the inside line i.e safety car got there before Lewis when infact they actually crossed at the same time if the line was at an angle. Not really looked tbh.

The biggest loser was infact MS, he went from 3rd to last.

Lewis and Mclaren are pushing their luck though this year. China in the pit lane people have been given drive throughs for that, same in canada. Should he have lost his pole lap from Canada as well, some think so. Valenica is now the 4th thing this year, so they better start being a bit more careful.

I agree gav there is not longer the risk of running out of fuel, which was the reason they changed it to let people pit. So yes they should say not pit stops until the line is formed behind the safety car.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2010 04:17PM by marcl.
I just don't think they should be allowed to pit at all unless they have a car problem or a puncture. I don't see why they should pit under the safety car any longer. All it does is cause chaos in the pit lane and upsets the order (which admittedly would have given us a less interesting race, but then this should be a sport, not a lottery).
Yep good point, maybe this will be changed for even the next race?

None of the safety procedures really worked at Valencia.

They claim Alonso and Massa were held behind the safety car to protect the medical car, but there were cars infront of the safety car so that is a bit strange. I am sure Alonso and Massa would have been careful there like Vettel and Lewis.

Alonso was 3 seconds behind Lewis until Lewis slowed down for the safety car. Alonso would have got caught no matter what Lewis done.

Just the whole thing was a cock up, a lot more really happened than Lewis just passing the safety car.

People on other sites have said they can now see why 2007 ended so badly for Alonso, he is to obsessed with Lewis rather than getting on with the job. It effects his driving, and he starts getting things in his head that people are against him. So did mclaren really not give him an equal car in 2007? did he just convince himself that he was not getting the same chance? People are saying it was the same with Piquet in 1986 and 1987 only I do not know as I never watched f1 back then.

In Canada I am shocked Alonso and Ferrari were not more vocal about the fact Lotus probably cost them victory after losing so much time before his pit stop behind it. Had he not been held up he would have come out the pits leading. Now surly that is something to shout about?

Anyway I think I have said all I need to say on the matter now :)

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2010 06:29PM by marcl.
Spot on! Marcl.
I agree 100% with the pit-lane being closed under SC - it was my first thought after the race.

elemental Wrote:
> Would like to remind people that Ferrari's past is
> irrelevant to whether what they say is true or
> not.

Exactly. It does make their points a bit ironic, but it doesn't mean that they are not correct. The same can be said for Alonso and some people (not here) linking his complaints to Singapore 2008.

marcl Wrote:
> The biggest loser was infact MS, he went from 3rd
> to last.

Not really, because he wasn't 3rd to begin with, he only gained that because of the whole situation.

X (@ed24f1)
marcl Wrote:
>
> In Canada I am shocked Alonso and Ferrari were not
> more vocal about the fact Lotus probably cost them
> victory after losing so much time before his pit
> stop behind it. Had he not been held up he would
> have come out the pits leading. Now surly that is
> something to shout about?
>

Exactly!!

I dont even believe Trulli got some sort of penalty ... :s!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
SchueyFan
Not really, because he wasn't 3rd to begin with, he only gained that because of the whole situation.

Ah yes, but he was on the hard tyres. I was surprised to see him pit for the softs (and then straight back to the hards) - I'd expected him to try a Kobayashi and make the hards last until late on. He was never going to get anything from pitting as he would be last, on the same strategy and with a slow car.
very interesting article by liuzzi (one of the people penalised)

[en.espnf1.com]

he says 5s penalty is ridiculous it should be 20s. he says when safety car light came on on his sterring wheel, he backed off but cars ahead of him were still bombinh it so he went fast again to catch up with them.

"I also think that Valencia showed the downside to the current safety car rules. Hamilton appeared to get away quite easily with what he did, while some of the other drivers lost out more without doing anything wrong. But it's not Lewis's fault necessarily, it's just that that's the way the rules work. I read on Monday that Ferrari complained about what happened, but unfortunately that is sometimes the way it is, and as a team you just have to anticipate that anything can happen and try to adapt - sometimes you are lucky, sometimes you are not. "

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy