2010 European Grand Prix ***SPOILERS***

Posted by MikaHalpinen 
Re: 2010 European Grand Prix ***SPOILERS***
Date: June 27, 2010 07:16PM
Posted by: alexf1man
Did anyone else see the technical glitch during the race, where it came up with "Futura-Bold" at the bottom of the screen alongside the usual timing stuff?

If not, I have found a download link for the font mentioned.

[www.fontseek.com]
Date: June 27, 2010 07:17PM
Posted by: elemental
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I dont know about the other drivers, but JB only
> knew of the saftey car in the final part of his
> lap hense the reason for his laptime, and hense
> only a 5second penalty. So going by that and
> knowing Rubens and Kubica were only a matter of
> seconds behind JB its fair to assume the same,
> that they knew of the SC only in the final parts
> of there laps.
>
> As for Lewis, he got a drive through but was quick
> enough to finish 2nd still..
>
> Whats the issue??? Is it just that he finished 2nd
> and Alonso finished 9th? Because thats all I see
> atm.

Yes. If Alonso had just followed Hamilton through and broke the rules, he would have also got a drive-through penalty and finished 3rd, not 9th. He was just as quick as Hamilton and right behind him on the racetrack, so I think this is perfectly valid to assume. However, Alonso followed the rules and instead dropped to 9th. That's the issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2010 07:17PM by elemental.
Date: June 27, 2010 07:22PM
Posted by: ipswich2007
ye saw the font bit, was quite funny :P

dunno why it happened though.

i dont think ANY of the drivers or teams messed up , the FIA were very sloppy in the way they administered penalties and safetty cars

also the two glass bottles took near on 10 laps to clear away and had no yellow flags showing :/ very dangerous if a car went off line

and the blue flags were hardly ever shown, e.g.. hamilton coming up on (i think it was) senna and di grassi and he was stuck for nearly a lap without a single blue flag

just appalling refereeing really.

30 laps to administer a drive thru is rele quite stupid

also from what i can gather alonso believes hamilton slowed him so that only lewis could get passed the safety car before it left the pit lane, therefore meaning lewis could bolt back to the pits and alonso had to trundle around behind the SC for a lap :/

Date: June 27, 2010 07:26PM
edit just looked at the font online, it reminds me of the old font they used on F1 digital , doesnt look like the real current f1 lg font, the letter o for example is different on the font its more of a circle whereas on the tv its more of an oval

Date: June 27, 2010 07:28PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
ipswich2007 Wrote:

> FIA - sort it out, you are ruining a fine season.

You mean that they're not being Ferrari biased and giving every decision in their favour?

The FIA descisions this year have been great, consistently. There have been fewer pointless penalties and more racing.

Today, several drivers broke rules in the race. All of those drivers were then punished.

Many were given five second penalties as a reprimand for driving too fast under SC conditions.

Hamilton did something more severe (although it was not intentional) and in turn he received a more severe punishment.

"alonso believes hamilton slowed him so that only lewis could get passed the safety car" - Yeah, right..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2010 07:31PM by loque.
Date: June 27, 2010 07:34PM
Racing should be exiting yes, but rules are there for a reason.

Example in football if you are playing amateur you may get away with sliding in and not getting the ball

Whereas in professional football this is called a professional foul and is reprimaned

silly as it maybe things like this are crucial for maintaining the integrity of the sport

being able to jump the SC and only get 5 seconds when effectively it gave them at least 30 seconds advantage over alonso massa schumacher rosberg etc.

The sport is becoming ever more unprofessional.

If you want contact and constant rule breaking watch the BTCC (which by the way is a ******* fantastic series) :P

Date: June 27, 2010 07:37PM
edit - do you not believe the race would have been better without a safety car and instead a red flagged restart?

the start is the best bit and having a second 1 makes it a fair and level for everyone, without any1 person gaining 6 places do to a safety car

ALTHOUGH saying that if this would have happened at a decent circuit then maybe we would of seen overtaking

all the new tracks

sakhir
sepang
shanghai
abu dhabi
valencia
singapore

all produce regularly boring races.....

as i said the fia need to sort this out it isnt the teams /drivers fault

Date: June 27, 2010 07:41PM
"abu dhabi
valencia
singapore, REGULARLY produce boring races".

Firstly, Singapore has produced some great racing, Abi Dhabi is not regularly anything cause we've only seen one friggin' round and Valencia today was better than it usually is and better than borefests such as Barcelona and Bahrain.

"Whereas in professional football this is called a professional foul and is reprimaned"

Today in "professional football", a goal was not given in spite of the ball being half a metre over the goal line..

Don't think you can compare the two sports anyway, it's much harder to referee something which has so many points of action simulaneously instead of just one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2010 07:43PM by loque.
Date: June 27, 2010 07:48PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
lewis drove another blindly great race. he broke the rules and got punished...dont see the problem myself? what was the fia meant to do?

"Lewis you went ahead of the safety car and fenando stayed behind, instead of the drive thru we were going to give, stop on the race track till alonso gets jsut ahead of you and then you can start racing again."

f1 would certainly be duller without lewis about.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: June 27, 2010 07:51PM
should be easier to police f1 there are more cameras and telemetry for a start lol

also i meant the new circuits as a whole lol not abu dhabi 09 on its own (which was boring tho)

that was the point i was making that professional sport as a whole is quite silly at the moment

i think the f1 rule book needs adjusting so that when something goes wrong it should be the exact same punishment every time, also the punishments should be more relevant

e.g. schumi at monaco should have been dropped maybe 0.9 of a sec and not 12 secs cos thats effectively what he gained from getting by fernando

and button kubica etc should have been dropped maybe 15-25 seconds because thats what they gained from doing something wrong.

the race today was marred by strange penalty decisions it shouldnt be that way, we should remember the classics like melbourne and interlagos 08.

these are races remembered for good racing , not bad decisions :P

its strange the fia never really find the right bias i mean they were to easy on mclaren & renault in 07 for not chucking them out of the championship as the regs state

and on the other side they can be too harsh like grid penalties for unavoidable accidents

accurate and proper decisions should be made in a sport such with this much heritage

Date: June 27, 2010 08:06PM
Posted by: gav
The Hamilton fans don't half change their stance when he gets punished and gets away with it. ;)

What this shows is that when there is an incident which warrants a safety car, there should be a means of electronically limiting the cars. The technology is there and they have standardised ECUs and it would avoid this sort of bollocks.

And it is bollocks. Massa went from 4th to 19th because some teams brought their drivers in quickly while others disregarded the rules (presumably unintentionally) and finished 2nd. That's not sport.

This is a sport which commands billions, visits some of the most exotic locations in the world, has the best technology available to it, and these sort of problems can make and break small teams and decide championships.

It's an absolute shambles.

Combine pit-lane speed limits commanded from the FIA with a delta time (so drivers aren't still pushing the car to their limits around slower corners) and this complete mess would have been avoided.

Hulkenberg's problem has been blamed on an exhaust issue, but I don't see it. There was no change in note (and an exhaust failure of any kind should show one), there was the blue smoke and none of it explains the shattered engine cover (rather than burned, as Kimi had in France) and the gaping hole in the tyre. Was it a spectacularly uncontained engine failure for which is being covered up?
Date: June 27, 2010 08:09PM
Q. (Stephane Barbé – L'Equipe) Can you comment a little bit on this penalty with the safety car? Did you see the car coming out of the pits? Did you hesitate to overtake it?

LH: No, when I came down the straight, I was accelerating, I didn't see the safety car coming out and then as I came round turn one, we know that obviously the safety car was out but I was able to push until the safety car two line, I think, and at that point I saw the safety car alongside me and I thought I was passed, so when I noticed it, he was already behind and so I continued.

i dont know what to read from that

hamilton is contridicting what we saw from the onboard, the onboard showed him clearly slowing down - in turn slowing fernando - then he gunned it and sprinted.

but this statement says that he never saw the SC , so why did he slow down with fernando right behind him???

so confused now

gav i agree this whole mess could have been avoided make it compulsory DOUBLE yellows all round the track with the SC out this means they HAVE to slow below a certain speed

Date: June 27, 2010 08:09PM
Posted by: AH87
I'm not 100% sure about the rules (neither are the idiots that make up the race control as it seems) but how the hell can the saftey car go out on the track and pick up Alonso and Massa, they were in 3rd and 4th place. I thought the saftey car should pick up the leader. I understand that it was difficult to to that since Vettel had just passed the finish line, but for gods sake, don't let other drivers get stuck behind the saftey car and loose valuable time (N)

If you should have a RACE control, then they should be able to clear up things during the race. It really shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to hand out penalties, now they waited 30 minutes!! And for 10 drivers, they hand out penalties after the race, penalties that don't even exist.

FIA really need to develop a better rule book that is easy to follow. This one is just a big joke. Not even the stewards seem to know the rules...

And what the hell is the problem with Ferrari? They can't take in Massa for a pit stop when they know that he will have to wait behind Alonso and lose so much time. If they would have let him stay out, he would probably be in 3rd place. And from there he could have built up a gap and make a late pi stop and finsih this race in 5th place or something.
REALLY REALLY BAD STRATEGY!!!

Finally: Well done to Kobayashi. He's a true entertainer!

And of course. A big WELL DONE to Marcus Ericsson. The next Swedish driver in F1!
Date: June 27, 2010 08:11PM
Posted by: AH87
ipswich2007 Wrote:
> hamilton is contridicting what we saw from the
> onboard, the onboard showed him clearly slowing
> down - in turn slowing fernando - then he gunned
> it and sprinted.
>
> but this statement says that he never saw the SC ,
> so why did he slow down with fernando right behind
> him???

Because Lewis is, and will always be, a cheater. We've seen it many times over the last years.
Date: June 27, 2010 08:13PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
very harsh comment that.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: June 27, 2010 08:14PM
LH - I saw the safety car was pretty much alongside me, I thought I passed it so I continued.

another quote from autosport , this time lewis says he DID see it

he needs to make up his mind

misleading/different interviews now where did we hear that before - o ye melbourne 09.

Date: June 27, 2010 08:16PM
AH87 Wrote:

> Because Lewis is, and will always be, a cheater.
> We've seen it many times over the last years.

Ok, I don't like him either, I don't like his attitude and arrogance but I think it does translate to good racing moments. There have been times when I have questioned his motives in something but today there was NO WAY he did that on purpose. He is sat with his arse on the ground going at 100mph looking for a white line on the road. It would be really easy to misjudge.
Date: June 27, 2010 08:22PM
Posted by: Covfan
Alonso really needs to shut up and leave it behind him (which I don't think he will).

I see your point Gav, but it's all about luck really. On another day Lewis's punishment would have been a lot more important and cost him a few more places but (maybe thanks to Koby acting as a train in third for a few laps) he didn't lose any places.
Date: June 27, 2010 08:26PM
Posted by: Covfan
ipswich2007 Wrote:
> LH - I saw the safety car was pretty much
> alongside me, I thought I passed it so I
> continued.
>
> another quote from autosport , this time lewis
> says he DID see it
>
> he needs to make up his mind
>
> misleading/different interviews now where did we
> hear that before - o ye melbourne 09.

He thought he passed it as he crossed the safety car line, he didn't see that he didn't. I don't know how on Earth you think he's being contradictory.

You just hate him because he's not driving a Ferrari.
Date: June 27, 2010 08:27PM
i understand what people say about hes a good racer i agree, but sometimes hes a bit over the top.

Personally I think that Senna was a dangerous driver because of the whole Prost thing, so what if you dont like eachother but what Ayrton did could of resulted in a much bigger accident potentially endangering the crowd and marshals.

drivers need to learn to be more conservative sometimes, just my opinion

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy