> -----
> > F1 ITV was dumbed down cuz the Aussis got our
> > commentary. Simples.
> >
> > Case closed.
>
>
> If I may reopen the case briefly and squirt it all
> over your face, we get the BBC commentary.

*whispers*

Yeah, that is Chets point. You got the ITV commentary when the UK rights were owned by ITV. When the UK rights switched to BBC, you started getting that.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Re: Bring back 'the c*ck'
Date: April 07, 2010 01:44PM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
No I understood that.... He means Allen would ask the dumbass questions to Brundle on ITV because of the aussies, but now on the BBC it's fine...even though we dumb aussies get that too. Let's not dwell on the musings of chet, of all people ;)
Date: April 07, 2010 02:12PM
Posted by: chet
lol! I actually didn't realize you get the beeb commentary aswell. I thought you had your own and Allen was no part of that? :s

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: April 07, 2010 04:32PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> lol! I actually didn't realize you get the beeb
> commentary aswell. I thought you had your own and
> Allen was no part of that? :s

We get BBC commentary, but with local hosts doing the pre-race, intro, and talking after the ads (unfortunately)

However, ironically, James Allen (along with Tom Clarkson) is now the 'man on the ground', replacing Peter Windsor, and does some interviews and records some thoughts for the pre-race show.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: April 07, 2010 04:37PM
Posted by: marwood82
on a side note,

James Allen was doing the post race press conference last year,

but did i hear right in sepang that it was being conducted by David Croft? certainly sounded like him.
Date: April 07, 2010 04:41PM
Posted by: gav
It was David Croft.

Allen did the first two races though I think.
Date: April 07, 2010 05:03PM
Posted by: chet
So this means Peter Windsor now has no place in F1???? :D

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: April 07, 2010 05:09PM
chet Wrote:
> So this means Peter Windsor now has no place in
> F1???? :D

I think so

He's lost USF1, press conferences, SPEED and Channel 10 - so not a good time for him ;)

X (@ed24f1)
Date: April 07, 2010 06:29PM
Posted by: Muks_C
yep Allen did the post-race conferences for the first 2 races, and Croft did Sepang. Croft mentioned that he would be doing it, during the 3rd practice of Sepang IIRC, and said that it was a coincidence that the top 3 in that practice session were the 3 drivers he did a practice press conference with.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: April 07, 2010 06:30PM
Posted by: tripleM
[twitpic.com]

looks like Williams lent him a hand

Date: April 07, 2010 09:03PM
Posted by: EC83
senninho Wrote:
> EC83 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > superchargednut Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> >
> >101 examples of Allen trying to be Murray, and
> failing.
>
> Here, i condensed your post ;)

Yep, James was guilty of trying to sound like Murray a lot, particularly in the first year or two he commentated full time. It was like he was trying to say "I'm so good, I can replace the irreplaceable". The douchebag.

And on this subject, a few more Allen quotes I've remembered just off the top of my head:

"It's like a load of planes circling over Heathrow Airport and dumping fuel on peoples' heads" (On the fuel-burning phase of Q3, Bahrain 2006)

"And you can see the car in front is a bit of a wounded sparrow" (Australia 2006)

"How does this happen?! That car's been really quick this weekend Martin, Button's been really bouncy!" (On JB failing to make it past Q1, France 2006)

"Bing bang bong, down the gears!" (France 2007)

"The foxes after the chickens!" (San Marino 2005)

"Why would you want to brake in the tunnel? Or anywhere, for that matter?" (Monaco 2004)

"...Maximum bananas!..." (Numerous bloody times)

"There was me thinking you were being snobbish about (Christian Klien's) earring, you were talking about his stature! I see..." (Nurburgring 2004)

"Fox hunting might have been banned in the UK, but hunting Jenson Button hasn't been banned for Kimi Raikkonen" (China 2004)

"Don't you just lurve Kimi Raikkonen?" (China 2004, he was on a roll that day)

"I told you!! I told you he should've pitted!" (Nurburgring 2005)

"Give us a clock! Give us a clock! Go on! Give us a clock! Give us a clock! Oh, you're not gonna give us a clock. Oh well..." (Spain 2002, as Ralf made a pit-stop)

"Touch and go, touch and go, touch and go!" (Nurburgring 2002, in a clear attempt to sound like Murray)

"Think the team are in trouble from one of the mechanics' mums, I understand they sawed her ironing-board in half" "If you stretched a piece of elastic between the wings it could be made like an, um..." Martin Brundle: "Catapult?" James: "Yeah a catapult, firing things at the car in front of you!" (Both quotes about a new development in BMW's aero which obviously fascinated him, France 2006)

There'll be others too, which I can't remember/can't be bothered typing just now. :P

harjinator Wrote:
> i mean "he
> looks like he's fighting an octopus" (Brundle on
> Petrov)... what was THAT about?!

Yeah I noticed that too, and I thought it was a great comment. Just a description of Petrov fighting like hell with the wheel to stay in control of the car.
I don't think Martin's knowledge is particularly outdated, or ever will be TBH. He hasn't raced for ages, no, but he takes a great deal of interest in contemporary F1 and in the latest developments(for example, whenever the regulations are changed or updated, he's usually quick to point out and explain those changes during commentary for quali or the race, or on his grid walk). And there's nothing stopping him from jumping in one of the latest cars during a private test or something, to update his knowledge on what it feels like to drive one.

DaveEllis Wrote:
> That was Allen too. Every race without fail he'd
> ask the utterly moronic question, "Martin, explain
> to us how important the tyres are". @#$%& you
> James, @#$%& you.

LMAO! I lost count of the times I shouted this exact thing at my TV. Best comment in this thread. :D

Date: April 08, 2010 01:05PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Nickv Wrote:
> You are so spoilt. Last year you had Allen and you
> wanted to get rid of him. The BBC got rid of him,
> now they've someone else and that's not good
> enough either. On top of that you have a rainbow
> of coloured buttons on which you have 583
> different commentaries and it's STILL not good
> enough! ;)

yah but all the buttons are pointless. Just a gimmick, they add very little to the experience.
Legard is terrible, really really terrible. When we asked for a replacement for James Allen we meant an actual F1 commentator not a horsereacing like guy who misses EVERYTHiNG. Put me in there instead. I have a better accent and I iz hilarious. The amount of awesomeness I would bring would be... Awesome.
Date: April 08, 2010 03:10PM
Posted by: senninho
EC83 Wrote:
> I don't think Martin's knowledge is particularly
> outdated, or ever will be TBH. He hasn't raced for
> ages, no, but he takes a great deal of interest in
> contemporary F1 and in the latest developments(for
> example, whenever the regulations are changed or
> updated, he's usually quick to point out and
> explain those changes during commentary for quali
> or the race, or on his grid walk). And there's
> nothing stopping him from jumping in one of the
> latest cars during a private test or something, to
> update his knowledge on what it feels like to
> drive one.

I love Brundle's descriptions of how cars handle - i remember him describing the B192 as 'a bit speedboaty' and 'a bit stagecoachy' when he drove it, and i'm sure that was in Steve Matchett's book as well. The funny thing is, i kinda understand what he means.

Regardless of how long it has been since he raced competitively, it's not like that blunts his knowledge. I would imagine that most ex-F1 drivers remain as knowledgeable as they once were.

Date: April 08, 2010 05:11PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
I think it helps that in Brundle's case it has been a factor of his job to uphold that level of knowledge

I mean he jumped straight out of the Jordan in 1996 to the commentary box in 1997, also he raced after his F1 retirement, I remember him driving for Toyota at Le Mans in 1999

He's driven cars while part of ITV too, the 99 Jordan, 91 Benetton and 2000 Ferrari spring to mind, he's had the opportunities to keep up that understanding

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: April 08, 2010 08:01PM
Posted by: Muks_C
Legard annoyed me during Sepang quali when Alonso spun in the rain. he clearly made 2 full rotations, yet Legard instantly said he span 3 times, and later said "Alonso did a triple-spin earlier...".

no, he span TWICE!

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: April 08, 2010 09:47PM
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer
That annoyed me too actually! I wondered if I kept blinking too slowly!

[Website]
Date: April 09, 2010 05:17PM
yes, but while Legard does make a few annoying mistakes and does rely on catch phrases too much, the example of Monaco 2008 still proves to me why we are still facing the lesser of two evils (if it between Legard and Allen, that is)

X (@ed24f1)
Date: July 30, 2015 04:02AM
Posted by: EC83
The Classic F1 on Sky earlier was the 2010 Australian GP. I'd actually thought of this thread earlier on today(yesterday now), and that race exactly coincided with it IIRC, so a bump probably became inevitable at that point. :P

Had another good listen to Legard in the coverage of that race tonight(in which there was no lap counter on the screen BTW... Amateur) and still don't get how he could be thought of as annoying. He might be monotone to an extent and be the kind of guy who wears socks with sandals, but annoying? No, IMO. I did wonder at the time if my positive opinion of him was really just relief and happiness that he wasn't Allen, but no - he genuinely seems alright.

Meantime The Cock himself is definitely back - spoiling most press conferences for the last few years. With a few exceptions earlier this year when Rachel Brookes hosted them instead(and I think one other time when he was replaced by someone else whose name I forget), which were a delight. Between pit lane reports and interviews, race commentary and now post race interviews, he's managed to @#$%& on every stage of proceedings at various points, which is almost impressive.

And since he's mentioned above and has recently come to my attention much more through Sky's coverage, a word about Peter Windsor too. On the recent Tales From The Vault shows he was shite, quite frankly. Couldn't seem to interact with the audience or the guests properly and displayed the emotional intelligence of a brick.
Get Steve Rider back presenting it please, he's good.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2015 04:17AM by EC83.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy