European GPs

Posted by Hologide 
European GPs
Date: March 17, 2009 03:59AM
Posted by: Hologide
Me and my girlfriend are hoping to attending a Euro GP this summer. It's our first time out of the UK for both of us, so I was wondering if anyone had some input over which race to go to to provide best value for money?

Spa looks way to expensive, but Monza seems to have some good seats available. Ideally, I dont want to spend more than 250 euros for a weekend seat.

If anyone knows of any killer value general admission locations that would be handy ;)

cheers
Re: European GPs
Date: March 17, 2009 05:39AM
Posted by: le_jaguar_2004
Hologide ecrit:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Me and my girlfriend are hoping to attending a
> Euro GP this summer. It's our first time out of
> the UK for both of us, so I was wondering if
> anyone had some input over which race to go to to
> provide best value for money?
>
> Spa looks way to expensive, but Monza seems to
> have some good seats available. Ideally, I dont
> want to spend more than 250 euros for a weekend
> seat.
>
> If anyone knows of any killer value general
> admission locations that would be handy ;)
>
> cheers

There's some places under 100€ for the German GP ;)

Date: March 17, 2009 09:43AM
Posted by: Paul Boy
I'd go somewhere hot stay a few extra days and and make a holiday of it :) Spain's quite a good choice, but May is still a little early for holiday sun (its a bit like a UK summer)if you get grandstand seats at the end of the pit lane, you get to see the pits, race start and some good overtaking. You can also see turn 7 across the circuit.
Date: March 17, 2009 11:23AM
Posted by: marwood82
Hologide Wrote:
> Me and my girlfriend are hoping to attending a
> Euro GP this summer. It's our first time out of
> the UK for both of us, so I was wondering if
> anyone had some input over which race to go to to
> provide best value for money?
>
> Spa looks way to expensive, but Monza seems to
> have some good seats available. Ideally, I dont
> want to spend more than 250 euros for a weekend
> seat.
>
> If anyone knows of any killer value general
> admission locations that would be handy ;)
>
> cheers

to be honest, if you want a grandstand seat you'll be limited on what you're going to get for 250 euros for the weekend.

spa actually is good value for the general entry ticket(but you have to get up early to get a decent spot on raceday). last year we were sat half way along the back straight before les combes. you could see the cars comming over the crest after eau-rouge, past us then into les combes. but also in the distance, you could see the run into the bus-stop and over the start finish line.

if i think on i'll try and stick a couple of pictures to give you an idea. you can also walk pretty much the whole circuit perimeter too.(bar the start finish straight now they've changed it)

Valencia is a nice place and great weather but my experience of the gp was that it wasn't great value for money.

i was seriously considering turkey earlier this year, you can get what appear to be pretty reasonable seats for £100. i'm told that there's no camping though, so you'd have to stay in instanbul.

hungary i've heard is one that the general entry tickets offer good views. (also a couple of mates went to budapest for a city break a few years ago, they said it was a nice place)

ultimately, i find with low-end grandstands v general entry, it boils down to 1 question.

are you prepared to get up early to get your spot?
if so, most of the time you'll get at least as good if not better view with the general entry than a cheap grandstand and have paid less for it. however, in a cheap grandstand you have a seat waiting for you and so can come and go when you like.

also, i said the same to someone else on here a few weeks back, if you're going to a european race. get yourself a kangaroo tv unit. UK commentary, live video feed, in car cameras,current race position, lap charts etc. £60-£70 for the weekend but they are worth it.

as paulboy says, try and make a holiday out of it as it makes a higher cost a little easier to justify.
Date: March 17, 2009 08:49PM
Hmm so if general access Spa and Hungary seem to be the tickets to get. What time are you normally permitted access to the track? I know at Monaco you can bundle into the tiny gen. access are at midnight and sleep there if you want. I'm guessing that practice isn't commonplace.
Date: March 17, 2009 09:09PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Monza cost me 255 Euros. Friday is free entry, Saturday is about 50, Sunday... your arm :P. Amazing atmosphere and you can walk around the track after the race. I'd have gone on a mad dash to be right in front of the podium after the race but I couldn't leave my dad behind... was just a 800m run, could have been in the first couple of rows and got amazing photos but I guess family comes first (and arrives near last ;)).

Go to Spa, arrive super early and get yourself a nice spot. It's my next track to go! And I suggest you don't sacrifice a weekend at a great venue for a weekend at a cheaper place that won't provide the same amount of racing or that historic atmosphere you can feel. Monaco is very interesting to know but I don't recommend since you have to control your cost :P.
Date: March 17, 2009 09:52PM
spa opens about 6:30. friday and saturday are ok you wont need to be there that early. + you can take a walk around. sunday get there before the gates open because there will be a queue.

there are campsites all around it. the offical ones a a bit more expensive but they are right next to the circuit(so you wont need to get up quite as early). with the campsites further afield a word of caution, spa aint flat! what looks like a short walk is often up a very steep hill. the guys next to us on the campsite had folding bikes with them which made getting around much easier.

having said all that, spa is a spectacular place to watch motor racing. it is well worth a visit.

heres a few photos,

pouhon

[farm4.static.flickr.com]

the (steep) walk down to eau-rouge. (as you can see, its plonk your chair down where you like around this bit)

out of la-source looking toward eau-rouge(they don't like you hanging around too long here, but you can have a bit of look)

the bus-stop (theres a ridge that runs all the way along it that you can sit on)

fanges

this was where we watched the race from, (just down from les combes)

you can see the bus-stop and start finish across the circuit(if you go the other side of the tv screen you get a clearer view of the bus-stop

start finish straight(max zoom on the camera!)

some action shots

this to me sums belgium up, in Valencia they wouldn't let you take cans in, they even confiscated the tops off your plastic bottles, however in spa, they just don't care

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2009 11:05PM by marwood82.
Date: March 22, 2009 02:13PM
Great pics and info, cheers. One thing I'm wondering is, if you purchase a grandstand ticket, does that normally allow you general access too?? I'm thinking I might get slightly bored of viewing the whole weekend from one place, so it'd be nice to move about the circuit over friday and saturday, but still have the relative luxury of a grandstand seat for sunday.
Date: March 22, 2009 03:00PM
Posted by: le_jaguar_2004
[www.mygpticket.com] ;)
There's some videos and images :)

Date: March 22, 2009 03:09PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
nice pictures marwood!

X (@ed24f1)
Date: March 22, 2009 03:28PM
Posted by: J i m
Spa is awesome... you'll get plenty of exercise as well. Eau Rouge has wrecked my feet and ankles more than once.
Date: March 22, 2009 06:13PM
Hologide Wrote:
> Great pics and info, cheers. One thing I'm
> wondering is, if you purchase a grandstand ticket,
> does that normally allow you general access too??
> I'm thinking I might get slightly bored of viewing
> the whole weekend from one place, so it'd be nice
> to move about the circuit over friday and
> saturday, but still have the relative luxury of a
> grandstand seat for sunday.

yes it does because you have to walk through the general entry areas to get to your grandstand. I do the same when i go to silverstone.

i find friday is the best day for it. there are a lot less people there so its much more chilled out, and the F1 cars are on track for about 3 hours in total(almost more than the rest of the weekend combined).
so its a nice opportunity to get to see them from lots of different places.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy