What happened to the old hockenheim circuit

Posted by torana_05 
Re: What happened to the old hockenheim circuit
Date: February 19, 2009 09:44PM
Posted by: EC83
Shame there don't seem to be memorials to those drivers(or Ronnie Peterson either).

Wonder how long some of that grafitti has been on the Monza banking? At least since the early/mid 90s, by the look of it

Date: February 19, 2009 10:04PM
Posted by: Guimengo
This may be fanboyism but Watkins Glen should have something for CĂ©vert (and Koenigg [sic])
Date: February 19, 2009 11:29PM
Posted by: gav
If you had memorials for every driver who had died in F1 or motorsport in general, you'd need planning permission to change gravel traps. With all due respect, let's not go over the top.

Jim Clark was a legend - possibly the greatest driver of all time, bar none (including Senna - and yes, I'm fully aware that you can't directly compare generations, but he totally wiped the floor with some of the very best. Basically, if he finished, he won). With all due to respect to Ronnie Peterson, Gilles Villeneuve, Francois Cevert and the likes, they weren't legends - they had big fan clubs (I'm a big fan of Gilles) and each were on their way to becoming legendary, but they'd won very little.

Everyone who's aware that F1 cars once without wings will remember them in their own right, and that's enough. For those who had actually achieved legend status there should be a shrine of some description, and in Jim Clark's case, there are 3 that I know of.
Date: February 20, 2009 01:46PM
Well it is a different era. Deaths don't really happen now.

Rindt died 40 years ago. Without wanting to sound callous, death was almost an expectation.
Date: February 20, 2009 02:24PM
Posted by: The Lopper
Yes, partly because it was in 1997, and partly, I presume, because it was a French driver who died on French soil. And there are presumably other factors as well.
Date: February 20, 2009 09:58PM
Posted by: Frantic
Other thing is people who had an important role on a team or something doesnt have the respect the deserves... Like Froilan Gonzalez, he gave the first victory to Ferrari, and thats important (i think). Im sure Ascari would have a statue in Maranello if he give the first victory to the team...

And Fangio hadnt got an statue (like in Monza or Nurburgring) until 2 or 3 years ago when goverment put one in Buenos Aires...

Date: July 23, 2018 04:05AM
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The racing at the new Hockenheim isn't what it
> was. It's pretty much just another circuit. It
> won't host a 2000 or 1994.

I remembered this specific comment in the run-up to this weekend's race, and it made me think... This German GP was actually surprisingly similar to 2000!
I honestly never thought the new Hockenheimring would host a race that exciting.

Date: July 23, 2018 10:56AM
What Rubens did with narrow hard grooved tyres with zero downforce in 2000 should not be dampened by comparing it to the hideously efficient cars with near-maximum downforce, big fat slicks and ultra-smooth engine maps we had yesterday.
Date: July 24, 2018 11:14AM
I wasn't comparing Rubens' epic drive with Lewis's drive per se(The similarity begins and ends with their starting positions IMO). Rubens was in a different league in that respect.
I was more making the comparison with what used to be more widely associated with the old long track - showers falling on just one part of it with a spectacular effect on the race. I've honestly never known the "Spa effect" to happen on such a compact track.
It's like the spirit of the proper Hockenheim still lives on(Even now it still annoys me that they got rid of it).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2018 11:21AM by EC83.
Date: September 20, 2018 07:36AM
Posted by: GP2tifoso28
The butchering of Hockenheim epitomises everything that is wrong about F1
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy