How to handle *SPOILERS*!

Posted by Morbid 
Re: How to handle *SPOILERS*!
Date: April 19, 2006 04:37PM
Posted by: b-tone
2) I want to talk about whatever I want, and I need the whole forum to do so! Can't those that have not seen the race just sod off?
No, this is a forum, and having people visit and participate in discussion is what keeps us alive. We want them to come here, even if they have a weekend job, or they don't get live F1 broadcasts. Show some consideration.

being an f1 forum, and generally an f1 site i'd guess most people here enjoy and watch f1. and i'd guess again that most watch it live.
so using your argument #2, you're denying many the chance to come and talk in favour of the clowns that visit places they shouldn't.
i'd love to come to the f1 forum and see many threads about a race... 'monty blows again!!' ... 'schu beats sennas record - pics of every pole inside' ... 'yippe, my fav driver won again!!' 'kimi -king of fastest laps again' etcetc where many aspects of a race can be discussed rather than the one size fits all policy now.
one other problem with the race spoiler thread is that it is often too big, and 4 or 5 pages can pop up pretty quickly. maybe if it was spread thinner people wouldn't have to trawl thru the muck to find a good discussion.
and of course people do often post spoilers in the headings, and in that case we need a mod (is there only 3?) on call throughout and in the hours after a race, so if all 3 mods happen to be away then theres no policing the spoiler policy.
so getting rid of it would give you guys a well earned rest, and a chance to watch the race without having one eye on this bunch of spoilers :)

ps, i'm not bothered by the spoiler policy here. its pretty standard and i try not to break it, but if i miss a race then its 100% up to me to leave it unspoilt :)

____
Tony

Date: April 19, 2006 08:06PM
Posted by: Muks_C
I understand what you mean Tony, i often don't visit a race thread till after qually at the earliest, because it's full of nonsense and predictions, and it's already 5-or-so pages long. for that reason, i missed the malaysian GP thread altogether, i still haven't been in it once, as the thought of 20-odd pages seems daunting.

and i don't mind the idea of separate threads for different aspects of a race, either with or without a spoiler warning in the title, as long as people realise that the results could be spoiled for them if they decide to go on the forum before they've seen the race.

i just stay away from the internet altogether if i haven't seen it.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: April 19, 2006 09:54PM
Posted by: Morbid
B-tone, if you want me to start taking you seriously, you would do something about your condescending attitude.

I do not understand why having a weekend job, or living in a country that does not have live broadcasts qualifies peoples as "clowns". Stop calling your fellow forumers "clowns".

Stop calling those topics that other people want to discuss, and that bores you "muck". Your sense of entitlement is way off track. This place was made for you, but NOT YOU EXCLUSIVELY.

Respect and share properly with your soon to be 5000 fellow forumers - then we can talk.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: April 19, 2006 10:21PM
Posted by: Team CLR
"Well if people actually do visit the spoiler thread, or any other thread marked with a *spoiler*, knowing they shouldn't, then they will get no help and no pity from me or any of the other mods."

But if they go into a thread that says San Marino Grand Prix (For example) it's already pretty clear what's being talked about in that thread, if they still go in there and the result is ruined for them, then it serves them right for not using their brains.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2006 10:21PM by Team CLR.
Date: April 19, 2006 10:26PM
Uhm, and where was it that we disagreed? I don't see your point...

Date: April 19, 2006 11:38PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
Mneh, I stand by what I said tbh, you're a damn fool if you go on the forum having not seen the race!

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: April 20, 2006 02:58AM
Then let us agree to disagree.

Date: April 21, 2006 12:43AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
you're denying many the chance to come and talk in favour of the clowns that visit places they shouldn't.

you say it like you have a right to use the forum for free speech, which is an incorrect assumption. There is no such thing as free speech on a privatly owned server unless granted permission.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: April 25, 2006 12:48AM
Posted by: madotter
i have an idea... on the main forum screen we should have:

F1 *SPOILERS*
Grand Prix 3
Grand Prix 4
Other Games
Off Topic

cos lets face it, if u go into an f1 section its going to be about the race/qualy and rules. I dont think f1.com and f1live.com all come complete with spoilers, u come to expet it from F1 sites.
Date: April 25, 2006 01:26AM
Which doesn't help a bit when spoilers are posted in random threads in the GP4 section does it? It happened this weekend, so come on, be constructive for a minute.

Date: April 25, 2006 01:49AM
Posted by: Red Sam
Its such a bloody simple and considerate rule, I can't believe that people are still debating it...

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: April 25, 2006 12:23PM
It goes against common sense, that's why. It doesn't take much to realise that

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO HAVE A RACE RESULT RUINED, THEN DON'T COME TO AN F1 FORUM, and if you do, THEN DON'T CLICK ON A THREAD THAT IS DISCUSSING THE RACE!

Those are pretty simple, if you can't understand either one of the above concepts, then you deserve to have your result ruined.
Date: April 25, 2006 02:06PM
I think to end the debate, there should be a poll, with 2 radio buttons (if possible) that say "yes" and "no", to the question "Should the forum employ a *Spoiler* policy?"

no-one should be able to type anything in the result (to stop it getting out of and), just click on one of the answers.

failing that, let's just type "yes" or "no" and count them up after 1 week, and take the majority verdict and let it rest there.

"yes" = continue as we are, only discussing the race/qually etc/ in the sticky race-thread

"no" = no spoiler warnings needed, discuss anything in any thread (in the F1 section only) and if you visit the F1 section without having seen the race/qaully, then tough luck, it's your own fault.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2006 03:01PM by Muks_C.
Date: April 25, 2006 02:56PM
"no".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2006 03:08PM by Team CLR.
Date: April 25, 2006 03:02PM
your vote is not counted because you should only type the word "yes" or "no" ;)

but seriously, let's wait for the mods to decide if a vote is the way to settle this before voting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2006 03:02PM by Muks_C.
Date: April 25, 2006 08:01PM
Which again totally ignores the main problem, and the reason why we have the spoiler policy in the first place.

What are you supposed to do when spoilers appear in all forums in random threads? What are you going to do, when people like Mad Otter puts spoilers in his sig? Effectively, if you did not see the race live, you are under voluntary ban from all forums here, even if you are a moderator, the best modder, car shaper, the owner of the site, or just average joe, or you ruin your own race. No one is safe. Someone has their race ruined every race weekend, WITHOUT entering AN F1 forum.

Solve that problem, and we will change the spoiler policy and have all the votes you want. If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. If you don't solve it, things will stay as they are.

Team CLR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It goes against common sense, that's why. It
> doesn't take much to realise that
>
> IF YOU DON'T WANT TO HAVE A RACE RESULT RUINED,
> THEN DON'T COME TO AN F1 FORUM, and if you do,
> THEN DON'T CLICK ON A THREAD THAT IS DISCUSSING
> THE RACE!
>
> Those are pretty simple, if you can't understand
> either one of the above concepts, then you deserve
> to have your result ruined.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2006 08:02PM by Morbid.
Date: April 25, 2006 09:26PM
ok, it was just a suggestion.

i don't mind either way, either with a spoiler policy or not.

if we do have it, fine, i'll obey it.

if we don't, then i won't visit the forums at all until i have seen the race/qually.

Date: April 25, 2006 11:43PM
when people like Mad Otter puts spoilers in his sig

care to explain, please?
Date: April 26, 2006 12:59AM
Posted by: six degrees
presumably when you had MS in your sig and the line "2006 begins where 2004 left off" around bahrain gp time..
Date: April 26, 2006 02:54AM
ummm... i hardly see that as a spoiler, i had made that before the GP.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy