whats going on Ralf?

Posted by sega 
Re: whats going on Ralf?
Date: February 15, 2002 02:07PM
Posted by: _Alex_
"I think that overtaking around the outside is ok, as long as the driver is in full control"

Again, I totally agree - many of the all-time great overtaking moves have been done around the outside of someone - JV on MS at Estoril, Ickx on Lauda at Brands, MS on Alesi at the Nurburgring, Mansell on Berger in Mexico - just to name a few! It just adds to the excitement! After all, what do you think that extra 5 yards of track outside the racing line is for? :)

Schumi's *attempted* move on JPM in Austria was perfectly acceptable. Had JPM not lost his head and braked waaaaay to late, then MS would have pulled the move off. If you look on MS's onboard camera, he was totally committed to the outside, the car drifting nicely and totally under control. However suddenly there was a great big Montoya in the way. D'oh. JV on MS in Estoril was awesome, but questionnable - the consequences could have been horiffic. He had indicated earlier in the weekend that he was willing to try a move around the outside of the Parabolica, but his engineers had told him that they would not be the ones to pick him from the barrier! He proved them wrong! Obviously, the person the move is being pulled on has, to a certain extent, to ensure they both stay on the track, and Schumi played along nicely in Estoril. JPM could have done the same in Austria, but spooned up. That's motor-racing for you!

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: February 15, 2002 02:37PM
Posted by: Ellis
Yo Sup

"I think that overtaking around the outside is ok, as long as the driver is in full control"

I also agree there. Theres nothing wrong with it, like Alex said, thats what the track is there for isnt it? If the FIA didnt want it they would thin the tracks on the corner, lord knows they have ruined the sport in every other way possible (traction control, grooved tyres and chicnaes mainly).

If a driver wants to overtake on the outisde, then why not? It can be done, Barrichello did it twice on DC and once on Mika in Germany 2001.

"Schumi's *attempted* move on JPM in Austria was perfectly acceptable" - again i agree Alex, that looked like a perfectly normal overtaking move, and even if MS wasnt trying to get passed the pressure on JPM on that move would have been enough.

"He had indicated earlier in the weekend that he was willing to try a move around the outside of the Parabolica, but his engineers had told him that they would not be the ones to pick him from the barrier!"

Yeah, he got the team to set up the car like an Indy car so he could do it too! It was a great move, but any overtaking move is dangerous, really isnt it! JV has done outside moves alot in Indy car though, its nothing new to him.

I dont think JPM arsed up as bad as everyone is saying he did though, yeah it was a mistake but i think it had more to do with the michelin tyres "going through a lean spell" (michelin boss quote there). The Ferraris were all over him cos those tyres went away from him whilst the bridgestones worked well with the Ferrari's. JPM had 3 or four cars on him lap after lap, then suddenyl MS goes for a move onb the outside, JPM brakes slightly later to help cover it, but the tyres are bad and the car simply slides!

MS on Alesi at the Nurburgring, Mansell on Berger in Mexico - yeah both excellent moves!!

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: February 17, 2002 05:01AM
Posted by: chris
Sega,
I really hope JV does get a good car soon, his talent is wasted at BAR, perhaps a move to Renault would be a good idea...they're looking good. I hate to see any driver in a crap team when we all know they're a good driver.
I also think Fisichella deserves a McLaren seat, he's a great driver!
Chris J
Date: February 17, 2002 05:08AM
Yo Sup

To prove how good Fisichella is:-

who is the only two drivers never to have been beaten out right in final championship position by a team mate?

Answer - Fisichella.

MS has in 99 (but he was out for a long time so that doesnt really count). Who else hasnt been beaten by there teammate in championship positions?

That was in an F1 mag sometimes last year, (did Kimi beat Nick? I cant remember)

If Ralf gets a good seat why shouldnt fisichella considering Giancarlo was consistantly better than ralph when they teamed at Jordan (and once ralf thought it ok to punt fisichella off)

Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: February 17, 2002 07:00AM
"did Kimi beat Nick?"

NO

Heidfeld 8th - Raikkonen 10th

It's a tough one because I'd like to see Fisichella in a top team - but I'd also like to see Ralf in a top team, but there isn't enough room! If Fisichella had a very good car he would easily be M Schumachers closest rival...

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: February 17, 2002 07:33AM
Posted by: LS.
ralf is in a top team, he won 3 races last year and montoya 1
Date: February 17, 2002 09:10AM
Yo Sup

Fisichella deserves better than Ralf cos Fisichella is better and he proved it at Jordan

Date: February 17, 2002 01:49PM
ralf is in a top team

Come on, you know what I mean - there isn't enough room for both of them to be in a top team! Of course Ralf is in a top team!

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: February 18, 2002 05:45AM
Posted by: chris
I think Ralf has had enough chances to perform...and prove himself, however I also think he's overated and should be replaced at Williams. Montoya is clearly better than him (cos he doesnt get intimidated) and Ralf should be at Renault Fissi at Williams. But where does JV fit in? As you say Alex, there just arent enough places. BUT if each team had 3 cars, it would be much more interesting...
Ferrari MS RB JV
McLaren DC KR NH
Williams JPM GF RS
Renault JT OP HHF
can't be bothered to do the rest.
Likely combinations if this happened?
BTW consider budgets....
Chris J
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy