Daniel Riccardo to Renault in 2019!

Posted by madotter 
Daniel Riccardo to Renault in 2019!
Date: August 03, 2018 07:14PM
Posted by: madotter

Daniel Ricciardo will make the switch from Red Bull to Renault for the 2019 Formula One season.

The Australian has signed a two-year deal with the French manufacturer, where he will partner Nico Hulkenberg. Ricciardo will leave Red Bull having spent the last five seasons with the team, winning on seven occasions and claiming 29 podium finishes.

The 29-year-old has been a member of the Red Bull family since 2009, starting his F1 career with HRT in 2011 before spending two seasons with Red Bull's sister team Toro Rosso in 2012 and 2013.

See rest of story here
Re: Daniel Riccardo to Renault in 2019!
Date: August 04, 2018 06:30PM
Posted by: elio2012
That looks like a stupid move. Sending him backwards. I hope I am wrong. He is such a talented driver.
Date: August 04, 2018 10:53PM
Posted by: bencoull
Great news for Renault, i'm so happy ^^

Ricciardo-Hulkenberg (Y)
Date: August 04, 2018 11:00PM
Posted by: thestig88
"Sometimes you got to lick the stamp and send it".
Date: August 05, 2018 03:20PM
Posted by: gav
I can see why he's left, what with Red Bull forming the team around Verstappen. I'm sure he would have jumped into a Mercedes or a Ferrari in a heart-beat, but obviously they are keeping a safe set of teammates (well, we'll see about Ferrari at Monza I'm sure, but it looks like Raikkonen is now favourite to stay).

Good move? Probably not in the short-term, but hopefully Renault will start moving forward at some point, but I'm disappointed they have closed the gap to the front this season.

It gets him out of Red Bull, and if there's a shake-up at Mercedes when Hamilton eventually retires, then Ricciardo will be one of those touted to replace him (if Mercedes are still around - I'm not convinced they're in it for the long term).
Date: August 06, 2018 08:48AM
Posted by: J i m
I think the Verstappen effect has a large role in this. Whilst I doubt Dan fears him as a driver it’s clear from last year that Red Bull are going to put their weight more behind Max. Christian even went a far to publicly state that he wanted Max to build the team around himself which isn’t exactly the best way to motivate a driver like Dan to stick around. Dan doesn’t want to be Webber mkII.

Nope he doesn’t want that.

But what a statement of intent by Renault. They clearly expect to be making strides across the next couple of years and who better than Dan to take advantage of a winning situation when it arises?

This will also be a challenge for the Hulk, as it will be the first time he’ll be paired with a proven winner since he was teammate to Barrichello at Williams as a rookie. This will be interesting for frankly, he ended up in the shade when paired with Perez.

Date: August 06, 2018 12:26PM
Posted by: EC83
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can see why he's left, what with Red Bull
> forming the team around Verstappen.

This.
He knows that regardless of how good he is, Verstappen is RedBull's Chosen One and they're going to be biased towards him as long as he's driving for them.

It's a very smart move. He's going to be with a works team who are on their way up. He already knows the engine well - and it's unlikely he'll have to worry about reliability, as RedBull's issues this year have been more of a reflection on their bad relationship with Renault than on the quality of the Renault power units per se. You're always looking at what car is likely to be strong in a season or two, and I think DaniRic has chosen wisely.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy