Tyre Choice

Posted by mitadumapaga 
Tyre Choice
Date: July 20, 2017 01:39PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
Hi guys,

Just saw the tyres allocstion for Hungary. Every driver has picked just 1 set of the hardest compound (medium).

Do you think the racing would be so Much better if Pirelli started bringing one idea softer compounds? For example, instead of

Medium, soft, supersoft , they could have brought,

soft, supersoft, ultrasoft.

What do you think?
Re: Tyre Choice
Date: July 20, 2017 02:55PM
Posted by: gav
I don't think the racing would be better as such. From one perspective it's often good to have tyres too hard or the track temperature too cold, as it can mix up the order and makes it easier for drivers to make mistakes.

Pirelli have an impossible job - too soft and everyone complains that the drivers are driving slowly conserving tyres - too hard and the drivers complain that there isn't any grip and that they can easily drive a 1-stop race. A middle ground doesn't really exist any more.

Racing drivers have short memories - back with the rock-hard tyres (due to the grooves) during the Bridgestone era the drivers could race hard as it was the fuel stategy which dictated stint length, not the tyres.

I do think there is a case for refuelling to return with the current rule set, but it was abandoned due to the cost of lugging heavy refuelling gear around the world, so while they're trying to drive down the cost of racing they can't really bring refuelling back.
Date: July 20, 2017 05:13PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
Gav, you are right that too soft tyres is not cool. What we have here though is a case where the hardest compound d is never used.
Date: July 20, 2017 09:19PM
Posted by: Frantic
First of all I canĀ“t recall a race from this year where the tyres had a big implicance in the final results. I dont think this is a bad thing.

I think Pirelli did a good job for this year. While they designed the compounds with overdimensioned car downforce, it was the right thing to do, giving the uncertainity they had as they tested with 2015 modified cars. That said, I consider a little softer tyres would be better.

Also, I think a sensible thing to do is to reduce the range of tyres they make from 5 compunds to 3, and bring that 3 into every race, named Soft Medium and Hard. That should help to avoid ridiculous situations like having a tyre named ultrasoft lasting the entire race as it occured in Monaco. As a smaller range would bring more perfomance difference between one compund and another we could see more variations in strategy.

Anyway I think the best solution to all the tyre issues would be bringing more manufacturers in.

Date: July 20, 2017 09:24PM
mitadumapaga
Gav, you are right that too soft tyres is not cool. What we have here though is a case where the hardest compound d is never used.

That's not true. Wehrlein used it at Silverstone. He did a lap on it behind the safety car. ;)
Date: July 29, 2017 08:13PM
Posted by: Morbid
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pirelli have an impossible job - too soft and
> everyone complains that the drivers are driving
> slowly conserving tyres - too hard and the drivers
> complain that there isn't any grip and that they
> can easily drive a 1-stop race. A middle ground
> doesn't really exist any more.

This is why "other suppliers" want tyre wars, because then nobody talks about whether the tyre is too soft or hard, they are just compared against other brands... and then you can win.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: July 30, 2017 01:00AM
Yeah, the only complaints I had about the tyre wars was Bridgestone tailoring their tyres for Ferrari. If that could be avoided then I'd gladly welcome a return.

Mind you, can you imagine the complaints from the drivers now - made excuses everywhere.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy