Official 2017 Russian Grand Prix **SPOILERS with TORPEDOES**

Posted by madotter 
Who will win this time in the cooler conditions?

Virtual Track Guide:

Thoughts and predictions?
A sneaky $20 on Vettel is sounding like a better and better bet. I think Ferrari will take this one too but will be interesting to see if Merc have some performance to play with come qualy
F1 should be ashamed of itself for even considering to continue to have a GP in this horrible country. As long as the government continue to allow and to deny the unbelievable treatment of the LGBT community in Chechnya, all major bodies, political or not, should be staying out of the country in protest.

It's 2017. I can't believe what is happening.
It's a refreshing change to have the top three covered within a tenth of a second... I can't remember too many times it's been a close as that since Jerez 1997.

Kimi should be kicking himself.. He ought to have taken the pole, but then Vettel does find that extra gear when he has the package to do so.

Good effort by Bottas I think that's the first time he's outpaced Hamilton with any degree of convincability... (is that even a word?) but the proving will have to wait until tomorrow.

Red Bull just simply off the pace, this has never been one of their better tracks but even so to be split by Massa's Williams (although a fair result for him) is a poor showing. Hulkenberg and the Findias almost did it too.

Bit of a bad day for Grosjean.. He seemed to spend more time whinging than driving but it's proof that F1 only has strong teams now. Gone are the days of the minardis. You can't have bad days like that without ending up slowest.

Young Stroll is proving to be a bit disappointing too. He's lacking both pace and consistency. He's kind of fortunate that McLaren are in the state that they are and also that Palmer is being a clusterfuck of fail too otherwise he'd be even further back.

On the website of Skysports U.K. Mark Hughes wrote an article that this should be the best track for Mercedes this year so far

Indeed, on paper it should be but what do you think happened? Why were they and particularly Hamilton so far off ?
What a boring race... Was there even a single overtake (besides turn 1 and 2)?

I'm happy for Bottas to get his first win but the best (and fastest) driver didn't win today. I think this really highlights how broken F1 is.
good for Bottas, he´s already showing he´s up to the task

regarding the race itself... the best on it was kimi´s radio

As Reddit says...

Reddit user #1
2003 Monaco GP (Well it's Monaco)
2005 USGP (Only 6 participants)
2009 European GP (Valencia Street Circuit, Spain)
2017 Russian GP
So, not unprecedented.

Reddit user #2
Good thing is that this way the next one won't be until 2033.

It wasn't good. The Vettel made it ever-so-slightly more interesting, but short of Bottas throwing it off the road in panic, he was never going to lose.

I didn't realise Bottas was struggling so much after his lock-up though. That car was shaking about with vibrations on-board. I can't say I've seen it that bad since Raikkonen's Nurburgring crash in 2005.
it's been officially a race with 0 overtakes - thanks to such "interesting" layout...
honsetly i agree that F1 should be ashamed of itself, but not for considering to have a GP in this "horrible" country, but to have a GP on such boring track (probably the worst in F1 history on par with Valencia and Baku).

Ooohkay the race was on the boring side, No overtakes! But sometimes we need the boring races so we appreciate the brilliant races all the more. I actually quite like this circuit. I think the no overtaking result was more down to a combination of the cars inherit difficulty to follow and the fact that the cars lined up largely in order of ultimate race pace... Hence they all spread out.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the role reversal at Mercedes since Bahrain. I sense Bottas needed that boost to his confidence and now Mercedes knows that it has two drivers again who can win.

I did not think the race was boring, there was incident at the start, everyone was driving flat out, it was very competitive at the front and we got to see a new winner with Bottas under immense pressure holding off the faster Ferrari of Vettel. It was similar to the Spanish Grand Prix from last year but a lot better because they are driving harder now with the new tyres this year.

The people who found it boring because there were zero overtakes need to stop focusing on the number of overtakes and actually sit back and watch the race as it unfolds, that way maybe they would enjoy it more. F1 is not about how much overtaking there is and it never has been, if it was about overtaking then they would not bother with qualifying and just line up on the grid in reverse championship order or something similar to ensure overtaking.
There was definitely an element of intrigue watching Ferrari elect to enlongate Vettels first stint in an effort to out strategise Mercedes and Bottas.. and in absense of close wheel to wheel action seeing Vettel persue Bottas did retain some tension. And I did enjoy it for that.

You're right... Overtaking isn't the be all and end all of racing. Some years ago at Imola, Alonso and Schumacher had two epic duels without making a single overtaking manoeuvre.

J i m
Some years ago at Imola, Alonso and Schumacher had two epic duels without making a single overtaking manoeuvre.

That was tense (2005 more so than 2006), but this wasn't even on the same page. That was 2 of the best racers in F1 history going at it hammer and tongs lap after lap whilst being 3-4 tenths apart. Vettel was a second behind for the vast majority of their 'battle' on Sunday.

I can enjoy a race with minimal overtaking (I still love Monaco unlike most it seems and Singapore is my favourite modern track by a distance), but this was a procession in every sense of the word. This was 2000s F1 at its very worst, and much of the 2000s were poor (of course there were a number of classics we remember well, as there will be with this generation of cars).
robracer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... F1 is not about how much overtaking
> there is and it never has been...

You're maybe too young to have known that but there actually were overtaking in the past. Mainly pre 80s ok.
If memory doesn't fail me you should watch on YouTube Monza '71, the closest finish ever. Try to watch the whole race obviously.

EricMoinet Wrote:
> You're maybe too young to have known that but
> there actually were overtaking in the past. Mainly
> pre 80s ok.
> If memory doesn't fail me you should watch on
> YouTube Monza '71, the closest finish ever. Try to
> watch the whole race obviously.

I maybe a young person but I am completely aware that there was overtaking in the distant past, just like there has been overtaking in recent years and there will be overtaking in the future because that is what happens sometimes. But there are no points awarded for overtaking so this is not what F1 is about.

I have no real interest in watching an old race no matter how exciting it seemed at the time, the most interesting race is always the one that is upcoming because you don't know what will happen, that is why we watch it.
That's your point. If you prefer see boring races just because they are new go for it.

On the other side you can watch what has made history :

Hint : this is not the start, check the flag.

I can't say which lap it was, the order changed almost every lap.
If I'm not mistaken, the winner is the one in the backward, far far away.

But thats only one side of the story. The action was there in monza because they were packed together, not just because all the overtaking. Also, That was the old Monza without the chicanes, making the track a big factor. Also all of the cars (except the BRM i think) had the same engine.

And its not like every race in 1971 was like that. Usually Jackie Stewart would go and take the lead and dissapear into the distance...

Monza 71 was an exception. Just like Dijon 79, or Jarama 81.
In fact in Jarama there was like 6 cars overtaking themselves but nobody could overtake the leader, who was Villeneuve, and that was the reason the race was so epic. The Ferrari was much slower than the other cars.

Monaco 92 is another example that cames to my mind. Its not all about overtaking.

What im trying to say is that nobody can´t expect a thriller every race... That said, of course nobody likes one team being 40sec faster in all races.

I agree with you. This race was 'special' and the slipstream was a big factor on this track. But there were more races with that flavour (and more diversity in the winners) in that era than nowadays. Which is my point in the argument. And far less boring races too.

Side Note 1 : on the engine side there was also Ferrari and Matra

Side Note 2 : Stewart flying around everyone was more in '73 than '71 and '72

I have been living amongst you feeble mortals for almost 50 years now. I have been following F1 since the 70s. I have witnessed lots of ups and downs since then. Robracer makes a valid point, "don't look back". I would even say, "don't glorify a past you haven't even witnessed yourself". Let me tell you, back in the 70s we didn't have internet forums, of course, but talking with real fans they complained about the same things - track design, car design and and and ... same old song and dance.

My suggestion is that if you don't like current tracks or cars, just don't watch it.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2017 01:09AM by Vader.
Vader écrivait:
> My suggestion is that if you don't like current
> tracks or cars, just don't watch it.

What I do :)

The first F1 race I saw was Monaco '70. I can remember it because of Brabham crashing in the last turn. The second one was Germany that same year at Hockenheim, with Rindt and Ickx swapping places every laps.

My point was to put in perspective current races with old races and that overtaking IS part of the race. Even in F1.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy