No joke: Alonso will race Indy 500 instead of Monaco GP this year *SPOILER*

Posted by Vader 
And yet a Honda engine won the Indy 500. I hope Alonso comes to race Indycar next year. Following in the footsteps of Emerson Fittipaldi, Nigel Mansell, Nelson Piquet, Eddie Cheever,Teo Fabi, Alex Zanardi, Juan Pablo Montoya, and Max Chilton to name a few.

phatdaddy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hope Alonso comes to race Indycar next year.

I hope not, Indycar is a joke. There are really only 8 teams and literally only 3 of them have any hope of winning the championship, all years since 2003 it's Penske, Ganassi and Andretti that win and it will always stay like this unless there are big rule changes, at least in F1 the order can change every few years instead of remaining so monotonous forever. Now this wouldn't be so bad if the actual racing was good but it just isn't. I remember watching Indycar for a couple of years back in the mid 2000's when it was mainly oval racing and British drivers Dan Wheldon and Dario Franchitti were going well, I followed it for a short time because it was something different but then I got bored with it. A few years ago I really tried to get back into it because I was seeing from others saying that it was fantastic and I watched all of the 2014 season but I haven't seen anything since then because it is just so bad and not enjoyable to watch, I had decided to commit to seeing out the season in 2014 come what may but watching the last few rounds felt like a chore, never again will I do that. I do not want Alonso to go into this, if he leaves F1 it would be much better if he goes to Le Mans endurance racing like Mark Webber did.
robracer
I hope not, Indycar is a joke. There are really only 8 teams and literally only 3 of them have any hope of winning the championship, all years since 2003 it's Penske, Ganassi and Andretti that win and it will always stay like this unless there are big rule changes

When have 3 teams ever genuinely contended for championships in F1? 2010 is the only one which comes to mind in the modern era. 1999 doesn't count, and nor does 2008 for the same reason. 1983 the next? Looking at it from the other angle, if you consider Brawn and Mercedes as one team, then in that time we've only had 5 teams since 1997 in F1 winning and contesting championships, or 6 since 1983.

Don't get me wrong, Indycar wasn't the same after the CART/IRL split, but it is now recovering well and does have some of the most successful teams in motorsport history (and not just in Indycar). Prior to the split CART was one of the best racing series in all of motorsport history in my opinion.
There are elements of Indy Car Racing which are better than Formula One, particularly how it's still possible for a smaller team to nail the setup on any particular weekend and win on merit. That and the way they value the sports traditions and heritage.

The worst bit of Indy for me are the cautions in how they seem to breed further cautions and turn the race into a total pot luck lottery.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy