Official 2016 Brazilian Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***

Posted by SchueyFan 
Some of the scariest moments in recent memory already so far this race ...

X (@ed24f1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2016 05:51PM by SchueyFan.
Yep. Here's the crazy one of the year :P
Poor hulk.

The wet races situation is getting ridiculous. They can't make a standing start because it's too wet but as soon as the SC leaves they go for intermediates?

Also, Charlie has lost it.

This is bollocks.

When will people learn that heavy rain didn't kill Bianchi. An open cockpit didn't kill Bianchi.

It was a tractor that killed Bianchi. We have sorted this out.

Why can't we go racing?
This is ridiculous, hoenstly.

Some mods
F1 1996 | F1 2002 | F1 2007 | F1 2011 | F1 2013 | F1 2015 | F1 2018
Re: Official 2016 Brazilian Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***
Date: November 13, 2016 06:54PM
Posted by: IWE
kedy89 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is ridiculous, hoenstly.

Yup!

Pirelli is making complete new tires for next season and cars are changing a lot, but once again nothing will be done to avoid bullshit like this.

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
I fear more of the same in the coming years now that a US company owns F1.
I think it will improve with bigger tyres next year. The biggest issue is the neurotic race direction we have.

Look at Interlagos 93 and then say they can't race with today's cars in today's tracks.

Frantic Wrote:
> I think it will improve with bigger tyres next
> year. The biggest issue is the neurotic race
> direction we have.

Larger tyres will lead to increased aquaplaning, won't it?

It's bollocks, you're right. If you crash, you lose. That's how it always was.
My favourite wet race was Australia 1989. Dangerous, but manic. A race of attrition which rewarded those who kept their focus.

Can't remember who won honestly :P
Haven't they been saying for years now that the Pirelli full wets are @#$%&? Gotta ask why they didn't take any measures to improve them...

Edit: Now drivers say it's worse than before, but they restart?! Sense?

Nice save there by Verstappen

Some mods

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2016 07:21PM by kedy89.
Say what you like about the kid, Verstappen is something special.
Posted this in another forum already, still not fine with his behaviour in some wheel to wheel duels (not this GP), but top class wet weather driving skills displayed today.

Some mods
How this one went over the full distance will remain one of biggest mysteries in the sport. Same goes for the decision making of race control. No idea what these guys were thinking.

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Guess Vettel just confirmed it, saying that it wasn't that much rain, but the tyres just aren't made for rainy conditions, and they simply need better tyres.

Edit: Strange decisions indeed, Verstappen saying that the (2nd) red flag came when it was still fine to drive, then they restarted and the conditions were worse than when they stopped.

Some mods

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2016 08:48PM by kedy89.
Laton Wrote:
> Frantic Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I think it will improve with bigger tyres next
> > year. The biggest issue is the neurotic race
> > direction we have.
>
> Larger tyres will lead to increased aquaplaning,
> won't it?
>

Yes, the contact patch will be larger, so it'll struggle even further break the surface tension, and so won't quite generate the correct chemical bonds and hysteretic purchase with the tarmac. It's part of the reason why motorbikes always seem to cope more easily than F1 cars with wet weather.

Part of the reason that Pirelli struggle with wet weather is that the tyre testing is a) infrequent in real-world conditions and b) wet testing is seldom done with standing water on-track.

Anyway, this was a completely insane race, and Verstappen really proving his worth in the wet. I did enjoy seeing Ocon up there before he reached the limit; with his ability, the lad's gonna go far.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Incident 2k9 schrieb:
> hysteretic purchase

What on earth is that?

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Laton Wrote:
> Frantic Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I think it will improve with bigger tyres next
> > year. The biggest issue is the neurotic race
> > direction we have.
>
> Larger tyres will lead to increased aquaplaning,
> won't it?
>

Not just that easy. Yes, if there is wet weather, you want thinner tyres to cut through the surface tension of the water. But larger tyres will also allow for the tread to drain more water (and to play around more with the design of the tread) and this is a cumulative effect for each car, and each lap. Added to that, the cars will have more downforce, and wider tyres will probably allow Pirelli to relax their vice like grip on pressures. Those electric engine have bucket loads of torque and generate a lot more flex than in recent years. Hence wider tyres that can cope with that flex, equals more scope for teams to play around with pressure settings. And overinflated tyres, as we have now, are not really what you want, when it is wet.

I don't know exactly how it will be next year, but I actually think they will do better in the wet, not worse.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2016 12:26AM by Morbid.
That moment for Kimi... Had me clearing up a puddle on my sofa.

So.. Hamilton - Rosberg title goes down to the wire. On evidence of today and the last three races, Hamilton has the performance edge. But Rosberg could have so easily lost it all today... still finished second though so he'll be having a sigh of relief for a good for a couple of weeks.

Great stuff by Verstappen.. how he kept that out of the barriers beggers belief. Great drive, upset Vettel into the bargain again... although Vettel tends to bring it upon himself... the fingermeister has become quite unlikable this year.

Force India seem to be safer than brick houses over Williams. Can't see that reversing now. A very fine job indeed. For Williams' part... they really need to shake up their strategists. They'd convinced themselves that they had to do something different to have a chance of scoring points... so naturally they chose inters when everyone else was aqua planing all over the place on full wets. The frustrating thing is that the car actually wasn't too bad in the wet for once. They just ruined it by daft choices.

Nice pit lane touch in applauding Massa.

Re: Official 2016 Brazilian Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***
Date: November 14, 2016 09:51AM
Posted by: gav
J i m
That moment for Kimi... Had me clearing up a puddle on my sofa.

That is the most scared I've been since Burti crashed at Spa in 2001. Not just Kimi, but when Vettel went to spin back around and we could see a car climbing the hill, I was cacking myself. I literally covered my face, and I can't say I've ever done that watching motorsport.

We were also so, so close to a car flying into the pits or catch-fencing/crowd when Palmer and Kyvat touched wheels - thankfully they just brushed wheels before colliding properly with the sidewalls.

I have to say, I wasn't happy the race went ahead. As much as people will blame tyres, the fact was that was what they had, and whatever the reason, we had was people facing the oncoming traffic on the joint-scariest place on the F1 calendar. Thankfully we had no serious consequences but that was pure luck. Absolute pure luck.

Remember Hakkinen shitting himself back in 2001 himself, and that was just from sitting on the grid after all of the cars had gone, panicking knowing they'd come around again, and that was on clear day. That's how scary that section is.

As for the tyres themselves, there's a good reason they are crap - because in layman's terms, the better the tyre is at clearing water, the more of that water will get thrown in the air. We can complain as much as we want, but times have changed. They've raced in worse conditions, of course they have, and at Interlagos for that matter - but what happened then? A driver was injured after a car spun on the pit straight. Pirelli could of course design a better tyre, but there's no point because they'll never be allowed to use it. It's only going to get worse next year whether the tyres are better or not, as the tyres are wider which means even more water will be thrown in the air, and the cars are wider meaning the plume will be much bigger too.

We lost Bianchi due to lackadaisical reactions and a desire to continue with the show, and as much as we all wanted to "that was a freak" that was the problem - they didn't foresee the potential incident coming and it was staring them in the face and I'm still furious about that to this day. Brundle kept on saying yesterday about how the cars aren't tested for nose-to-nose collisions, yet 10 minutes later he was saying they should be going racing, and then 10 minutes after that he was saying it all over again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy