The Official 2017 Formula One Season *Bahrain Results*

Posted by madotter 
flat tyre
Also, about the wheelbase - I know people have said for years that the cars are getting too long, but I realised something the other day (err, actually, the other year). I think a shorter car length would increase the sensation of speed dramatically. If you watch a motogp bike go down a straight, it looks way faster than an F1 car, even though they're doing roughly the same speed. Why? Because bikes are tiny compared to cars. Another reason I'd like to see shorter cars in F1.

I'm not entirely sure about that. For most of the tracks MotoGP visits the cameras are closer than they are on the new-fangled F1 tracks. I know MotoGP also visits modern tracks, some of which are also used for F1, but even with the big run-offs the bikes seem closer than in F1.

Perhaps Dorna cameramen just zoom in closer to the bikes, which makes the camera seem more sensitive, which gives the impression that the camera man is struggling to keep up? It's my main issue with modern camera equipment in motorsports - they've now got so many tricks up their sleeves (such as the gyroscopes used in steadicams and the likes) that the stability sucks the action element that used to be there. It would almost feel better if the cameras were solidly fixed like they used to be.
Laton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, Force India have changed their colours... to
> pink.
> [www.espn.co.uk]
>
>
> Thoughts?
>
> [cdn-8.motorsport.com]
> 8/f1-sahara-force-india-f1-vjm10-launch-2017-sahar
> a-force-india-vjm10-with-bwt.jpg

My fav car on the grid this year probably (gotta wait to see it on track tho, the natural light may change the look of it a little)

...watch this space!
Laton
F1-Live are reporting that Mclaren have approached Mercedes about the possibility of supplying them engines....

...watch this space!

Apparently Mansour Ojjeh contacted the top guys at Mercedes and aksed if a contract for 2018 would be possibly. Mercedes doesn't seem to be too reluctant about it. I guess come Spain GP they will announce a new contract. Either that ot Alonso will leave.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Vader Wrote:
> Apparently Mansour Ojjeh contacted the top guys at
> Mercedes and aksed if a contract for 2018 would be
> possibly. Mercedes doesn't seem to be too
> reluctant about it. I guess come Spain GP they
> will announce a new contract. Either that ot
> Alonso will leave.

My vote is for both things to happen. I'd given an ultimatum to Honda a long time ago, allowing them to push the team backwards for three years has damaged F1's image as a whole, since now what manufacturer, with likely less budget than Honda, is going to have a shot at supplying a team?

The last desperate option would be Cosworth, I recall them saying they had the basis for a 2014-spec engine but never finished it since nobody would buy it.

PURE and Craig Pollock, anyone? ;)

Also, it'd be sad for Alonso to leave this way but I prefer him doing a Loeb and racing anything, anywhere, than agonizing with these engines.

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
As long as there isn't a change in engine regulations I don't see any new manufacturer jump in. They would be crazy to think they could make up three or more years of experience by the current manufacturers. But if FIA should change the regulations they probably won't go back to use ten year old technology. I doubt we'll ever see "normal" aspirated V8s or V10s again.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Im starting to worry about whether they could drive flat-out all race or not. There were some comments from Hulkenberg, he was comparing the Pirellis to the Michelin LMP1 ones and he said that this year they will have to save tyres at some point. Also there were some reports saying that some engineers were concerned about fuel consumption and that 105kg of fuel wasn´t enough...

That reminds me, is the limited fuel flow rule still existing?

Frantic
Im starting to worry about whether they could drive flat-out all race or not.

According to Alonso you won't have to worry - as long as you drive Honda (dis-)powered cars. ;)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
i honestly think that more tests should be allowed. obviously mclaren-honda and renault can't do much to end their strugglings, so it's a pretty much lost season for them already. i think that especially honda (such a large company with a great legacy of success) might have end their troubles a year or two ago, but they couldn't do anything simply because no tests allowed. keeping the tests prohibited you're not helping much to marussia/virgin/manor, caterham, hrt or now sauber (isn't it obvious). it's not like these teams will go and win the races, bec there's no tests. the thing that's happening instead is that mclaren, the team which has all the resourses normally to challenge mercs for the lead, alongside with ferrari and red bulls, is now simply doomed. mercs were lucky to build the great engine when the regulations changed, and now we are pretty much forced to see them dominating for years ahead, until the regulation changes again (and no, vettel winning today is not a sign of merc era ended). and it could be useful for new drivers such as stroll as well. instead of him losing his first half of the season while he is getting used to the much more challenging to the driver cars this year, he could spend some time at the tests and be ready to show his natural ability.
p.s. never liked idea of testing being limited since 2003 when it was implemented (if i remember it right) anyway...

also force india looks stunningly gorgeous indeed, the only thing that's missing is polka dots maybe ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2017 09:45PM by Soutsen.
Soutsen Wrote:
> keeping
> the tests prohibited you're not helping much to
> marussia/virgin/manor, caterham, hrt or now sauber
> (isn't it obvious). it's not like these teams will
> go and win the races, bec there's no tests.

Back in the day, when we had unlimited testing and Ferrari and MS was constantly pounding out lap after lap all season long, the argument was directly the opposite - that small teams could not compete, because the big teams in effect had the ability to test much more than them, and to test pretty much every idea they thought could work.

The reality is, testing or no testing, this is NOT what is killing off small teams, and securing dominance amongst the bigger teams. It is the totally warped way monies are distributed in the sport and to the teams, that is doing this. Fix that, and you can have no testing, limited testing, unlimited testing, and that will still allow small teams to move up and other teams to break dominance. Don't fix this, and we will continue as we have done since the late 90ies.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Soutsen Wrote:
> i do not care if the race surroundings look great
> or not, all i need is interesting layout, not another
> average tilkedrome...

well, now it is confirmed that sepang circuit is out from calendar since 2018. it was surely the best track built by mr. tilke, offering one of the greatest modern layouts (at least it is a great fun and joy to drive this track using diffrent racing simulators). the weather conditions has been adding lot of challenge with the sweltering heat, which can change to a tropical shower in a minute... the most challenging circuit for the modern drivers... and now it's lost... fkin great... and now we have dat azerbaijanian borring narrow street circuit instead (obviously talking about this track since it was the last one added to the calendar before the sepang removal) with no places to overtake (ecxept a turn 1 after dat giant main straight) with forgettable corners all the way (ecxept dat dumb one 1 car-thin corner, which always reminds me how stupid this track is), but with some good looking castle decorations to sell it on tv... great exchange :-( hot
i know there's not much liberty media can do about changing minds of malaysian politics right now, but this just shows how modern f1 becomes more and more dull with all this stuff. thanks to bernie, governing body of f1 right now can't simply provide the best tracks in the world to drive, despite surely there are much more intresting layouts than the baku, hungaroring, sochi or modern hockenheim (ruined by tilke) for example. yes, it's been long time ago when f1 changed from the best automobile sports challenge to a simple media product, and situation with sepang just shows it once again :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2017 11:40AM by Soutsen.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy