Posted by: mika19b
Laton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> gav Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > > Can someone explain why the cars are so high
> off
> > the ground this year? They look ridiculous.
> >
> >
> > They're not really, it's the extreme rake that
> > most teams are running this year, so it looks
> like
> > the rear is miles in the air, but the front of
> the
> > tea tray will be skimming the road ahead of it.
>
> Just to allow for suspension movement then? I
> don't understand the science behind why that would
> be beneficial :(

I might be wrong here but I believe it's to work the diffuser more? More space for airflow?

As a McLaren fan I'm already fearing the worst, two lost days are never good.

An oil catch tank is a basic part! :/
Re: The Official 2017 Formula One Season
Date: February 28, 2017 10:26PM
Posted by: Laton
It's not looking good is it.

Again.

I really feel like somewhere sipping a scotch is Ron Dennis uttering words similar to those Saddam Hussein did when removed from power... "you may find it is not so easy to rule McLaren..."
You get the feeling this is the final straw. Surely McLaren won't continue with Honda this year, unless they can line up another major manufacturer, and none seem to be forthcoming (and understandably so given the staggering costs and how much scope there is for embarrassment).

I felt for Honda in 2015 given the lesser time they were given to develop their engine (and I've read it was McLaren who pressured them into coming in a year early), but for similar issues to be happening two years later (especially if they're as basic as is rumoured) is simply unacceptable. These sound like the sort of mistakes relatively small engine manufacturers were making in the late 80s and and early 90s, but this is one of the biggest and most successful car engine manufacturers in the world.

If McLaren don't leave Honda for 2018 then Honda need to change their ways and accept outside help and soon. The top brass won't continue to fund this horrible clusterfuck for much longer; the Japanese are famously proud.
gav Wrote:
> You get the feeling this is the final straw.
> Surely McLaren won't continue with Honda this
> year, unless they can line up another major
> manufacturer, and none seem to be forthcoming (and
> understandably so given the staggering costs and
> how much scope there is for embarrassment).
>
> I felt for Honda in 2015 given the lesser time
> they were given to develop their engine (and I've
> read it was McLaren who pressured them into coming
> in a year early), but for similar issues to be
> happening two years later (especially if they're
> as basic as is rumoured) is simply unacceptable.
> These sound like the sort of mistakes relatively
> small engine manufacturers were making in the late
> 80s and and early 90s, but this is one of the
> biggest and most successful car engine
> manufacturers in the world.
>
> If McLaren don't leave Honda for 2018 then Honda
> need to change their ways and accept outside help
> and soon. The top brass won't continue to fund
> this horrible clusterfuck for much longer; the
> Japanese are famously proud.

I think it's even worse the fact that the power train has changed "90%".

If it was an evolution it would require a lot less to get it performing well based on previous data. Being new there's going to be so many system checks to run through and surely a reasonable amount of mapping to do as a test bench is only so good!

What Honda and McLaren need right now is laps. A serious amount of laps!

This Honda nightmare needs to end sharpish for theirs and McLaren's future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2017 11:02PM by mika19b.
If it's the same as last year, or worse - the same as 2015, then Alonso walks before Barcelona.
All in all we might have the sexiest grid for years. Most cars look way better than thjey ever had. Now bring back V10 and frack the V6 turbo and I'll be fine.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Might come in handy during the season:

[hasstrollcrashedyet.com]

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Maldonado, get out of this car !

Carlitox Wrote:
> Might come in handy during the season:
>
> [hasstrollcrashedyet.com]

This is very harsh, he hasn't even started a Grand Prix yet and already people are essentially calling him a crasher.(N)

Lance Stroll is a rookie who is, at 18 years old, still physically growing into a man. He has had just two days driving an F1 car that is far more extreme in performance than anything else he has driven to date. It is inevitable that he would crash at some point and cause damage, and if the Williams team was not prepared for that situation then it is their fault for not being prepared. It beggars belief that they only took one front wing with them for an 8 hour testing session, a part of the car that is just about most likely to get damaged than any other part. Sheer idiocy.
I doubt it was a case of only taking one wing and more that they'd only managed to manufacture one wing in time for the test. You know how finely these teams like to time things.

I've no opinion of him yet, but time will tell. According to others he's a bit of an arse who's only in the sport because of his dad's millions. Pedro Diniz was thought of in the same manner at first, and he turned out to be a likeable and very decent racing driver (nothing special of course, but far better than everyone expected and what he showed at Forti).

On the other hand he's been off the road 3 times in 3 days, ending days early and causing them to effectively miss 2 days of a 4 day test, so I don't think it's unfair for someone to register a light-hearted website and I'm pretty sure the notoriously frugal Frank wouldn't be too impressed.
RE the site, I know, I just found it funny. But I do agree, Stroll shows that the current gen of cars is working, as in they are very, very hard to drive. I don't think Stroll is a slouch, he just did a jump many people were doing (lower-ish formula to F1) but happened to land on a wrong year. I think if Lance had landed a drive last year, he would have fared OK, and maaaaybe struggled a bit now. But jumping from a F3 to this particular type of F1 car, is no longer a smooth learning curve.

If you think about it, makes sense now that Sauber did not want Wehrlein in the tests. Maybe he's not that much injured but if he had a hit and then underwent those G's, he could get even worse.

Also, now imagine these cars with no power steering. Shoot.

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
It appears the final count after testing was 5 engines in 4 days for Honda.
Is it just me. Or does the force India fin kind of disappear into the background on video. I know alot of people are complaining about it but I think they have got the colour right when watching on tele

Certainly in videos and even photos on the track it looks far less offensive than it did at launch.

All of the cars look better on track, with the exception of the Toro Rosso (ironically the only car which was launched in natural light!) which appears a touch too dark compared to what it looked like at launch.
Mistakes are to be expected from Stroll, it's a shame that it's resulted in a lot of down time due to lack of spares. I agree though that Williams should have had some foresight and perhaps have arranged an earlier production of parts to ensure at least some spares. His funding has enabled him some fairly extensive testing in an 2014 car after all.

According to Pirelli motorsport chief Paul Hembery, the drivers are now reaching 5G in the corners.

He told ESPN: “It is quite shocking. Even now, you are talking 5G corners… a road car, top Ferrari, Lambo, [would be] 1.2 or 1.3G. These are getting to levels now that, I don’t know….

“Maybe some clever doctors will tell us that we’re getting close to blackout point, I don’t know what it is. But certainly when I was looking at Turn 3 it was quite impressive.

“I’m sure a normal human being wouldn’t be able to.”

[www.planetf1.com]

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
5 g is impressive, but nowhere near the range where you would get into trouble. 10 g along a lateral direction can be managed even by untrained people. Driving a car at insane speeds at the same time is another thing of course.

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Cars from early 2000´s had 4G in cornering and 5G in braking. The biggest issue will be to deal with it for 2 hours. Anyway the physical preparation that drivers have today is a lot better than before. I don´t think we´ll see drivers about to faint after a race

Wasn't that a problem in itself at some point though, the "over-preparation" thing? I don't remember who, but one of the drivers was dangerously to collapsing due to the extreme lack of body weight in a race a few years back (during the KERS days when driver weight became a major factor?). Perhaps Alonso?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy