The Official 2017 Formula One Season *Bahrain Results*

Posted by madotter 
Re: The Official 2017 Formula One Season
Date: January 17, 2017 10:55PM
Posted by: Laton
I still think it would awesome in white, red and black.
Date: January 23, 2017 09:42PM
F1-Live (ESPN) are reporting that Bernie is OUT!

Bernie to be replaced by Chase Carey, with Sean Bratches and Ross Brawn in supporting roles for commercial and sporting aspects, respectively.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2017 09:51PM by Laton.
Date: January 23, 2017 11:37PM
Posted by: madotter
Finally.
Date: January 24, 2017 09:45AM
Posted by: gav
I always said "better the devil you know" when it came to someone superseding Bernie, as I assumed it would be someone with even less interest in the sport (Bernie was a driver himself remember).

I suppose only time will tell whether those fears were unfounded, but it's all sounding rather positive at the moment.

I guess "cautiously optimistic" best describes my feelings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2017 09:46AM by gav.
Date: January 24, 2017 02:47PM
Posted by: flat tyre
Funnily enough, "cautiously optimistic" were the very two words I was going to use, but the more I read about the whole situation the more confident I feel about it. There have been some very positive plans put forward, and they have put all the cornerstones in place. Liberty would be in for some seriously negative press if they changed their tune now, and that would benefit nobody whatsoever.

I think we're so used to a corrupt style of leadership, that naturally we're being cautious about Liberty. But I get the feeling that this may well be the real deal.

Let's face it - they can only make F1 better. If it got any worse I think it would die completely. I can honestly say that my enjoyment of F1 has gone from being 10/10 (as recently as 2010) to sinking to an all time low of something like 3/10 this year, even though my favourite driver won the championship. The problem is, I don't know if my opinion of F1 has become so low because of my poor health (I've had a very bad year) or whether F1 really HAS become that boring.

Either way, I've got a feeling of confidence about F1 now that I haven't had since I was a naive kid. And it's a wonderful feeling that I almost forgot existed...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2017 02:52PM by flat tyre.
Date: January 24, 2017 08:42PM
Posted by: J i m
Cautiously optimistic.

Obviously Chase Carey and Liberty have a good track record for what they do and could bring a lot to the table. They're already saying the right things... making the revenue distribution fairer.. safeguarding the traditional European races etc.

But I really approve of the decision to put Ross Brawn in charge of the sporting side. Not only does he have a proven record of building and managing teams to success he also talks a helluva lot of sense. Which is kind of what we need right now.

We can't deny that Bernie did an awesome job of building F1 into what it is, but he's also got steadily further out of touch with reality over the last few years. I think it's a positive thing for him to hand over the reins now, wether it was his choice or not.

Date: January 25, 2017 02:01PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
I agree with the sentiment - this has the potential to be good and I am happy Brawn is onboard. Just hope they don't focus on too many gimmicks or messing around with the race formats rather than fixing underlying problems.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: January 25, 2017 02:36PM
SchueyFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just hope they don't focus on too many
> gimmicks or messing around with the race formats
> rather than fixing underlying problems.

[www.motorsport.com]

:P
Date: January 27, 2017 11:37AM
Posted by: Morbid
Brawn onboard is really what makes this worth believing in.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: January 27, 2017 06:46PM
Posted by: Morbid
RIP Manor....

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: January 28, 2017 10:53AM
Posted by: J i m
Shame about Manor, out of all the Mosley chosen budget teams they close to being competitive and/or respectable. How sad that the mooted much needed revenue redistribution will be far too late. I sense Fitzpatrick saw Manor more of a toy than a serious proposition.

Date: February 03, 2017 08:40PM
McLaren drops MP4-XX and replaces with MCL...

The MP4 name stood for "Marlboro Project Four" and was introduced by former CEO Ron Dennis when he merged his F2 team, Project Four Racing, with McLaren in 1981. Since then each new car's name had the prefix "MP4" followed by a type number in ascending order.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2017 08:41PM by madotter.
Date: February 03, 2017 08:45PM
Didn't really mind the change from MP4 - for me it harks back to days long gone more than the last decade or two - but MCLxx is just terrible.

Still, since nobody calls any car anything other than at the launch, I couldn't give a damn.
Date: February 03, 2017 09:32PM
Posted by: Frantic
They´re just trying to emphasize that Dennis´era is over. I guess is part of their marketing plan: re-introducing the McLaren brand with a "re-birth" of the team, hence the change in the name, the colors, etc.

I´d prefer the old Mxx rather than MCLxx but honestly they can call the car Geoff and I wouldnt mind.

Date: February 03, 2017 10:01PM
You don't save a team by rebranding and recolouring it, you fix the @#$%& issues and respect tradition. MP4 holds so much history, this new guy has no respect for his forebearers.
Date: February 03, 2017 10:37PM
Meh, Dennis didn't found the team. He played a major part in making it a great team, but that "great team" went out of the window with the millennium with a very brief resurgence in the late 00s. The MP4-era died when Senna and Honda left in my opinion.

Edit: And don't get me wrong, I'm a stickler for tradition, but a car designation isn't much of a tradition any more. The rumoured return of the orange is far more traditional than "MP4" could ever be.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2017 10:41PM by gav.
Date: February 04, 2017 08:35PM
Posted by: EricMoinet
madotter écrivait:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The MP4 name stood for "Marlboro Project Four" and
> was introduced by former CEO Ron Dennis when he
> merged his F2 team, Project Four Racing, with
> McLaren in 1981. Since then each new car's name
> had the prefix "MP4" followed by a type number in
> ascending order.

That was for "McLaren-Project Four", Marlboro only being the sponsor at that time.

Date: February 05, 2017 10:45AM
It seems it wasn't McLaren Project Four, it was indeed Marlboro Project Four.

The MP4 was the first car to be built following the merger of the McLaren team and Ron Dennis' Project 4 team, as the car's name (short for "Marlboro Project 4" ) indicates.
See here

Thanks,
Iain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2017 10:45AM by madotter.
Date: February 05, 2017 02:32PM
Only going by that article, which I believe is wrong.

The M was for McLaren and P4 was project 4.

I believe that article has it mixed up.
Date: February 05, 2017 02:45PM
More than possible. I originally saw it on ESPN F1 and checked Wiki but it's possible they got their info from Wiki.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy