The Official 2017 Formula One Season *Bahrain Results*

Posted by madotter 
Re: The Official 2017 Formula One Season
Date: December 02, 2016 03:18PM
Posted by: kedy89
:-o

Quite the surprise, but easily comprehensible reading his statement.

First guess would be for either Wehrlein or Ocon to fill his seat.

Some mods
F1 1996 | F1 2002 | F1 2007 | F1 2011 | F1 2013 | F1 2015 | F1 2018
Date: December 02, 2016 03:26PM
Posted by: madotter
The rumour mill is suggesting Vettel! :-o
Date: December 02, 2016 04:15PM
Posted by: gav
It's got to be Wehrlein. The only reason he's still at Manor is because of Mercedes, so if they had no intention of fielding him in the future then why are they funding his development. It's not like he's an especially young driver - he's 22 - so really the only stumbling block is whether his temperament is up to it (rumour has it he's quite hard to work with).

He was furious when Ocon got the Force India drive, so I can only imagine his reaction should he not get the Mercedes drive.
Date: December 02, 2016 09:21PM
Posted by: J i m
I think it depends on how they want to field their line up going forward.

If they want the best possible drivers then I'd be very surprised if the likes of Alonso and Vettel aren't currently searching their contracts for holes to drop through.

If they plump for an easier time of it from a internal rivalry point of view then the choice is obvious.. Wehrlein or if they're feeling particularly cheeky, Ocon.

Date: December 03, 2016 12:58AM
Posted by: EC83
Wehrlein for 2017, definitely - he's the obvious choice being a long-term Mercedes protégé, and he has very real talent - I thought he did a great job this year with Manor, and I felt it was unfair on him when Ocon came in and suddenly grabbed the limelight. Ocon is an impressive talent too, but less experienced, and he's already had one major promotion by getting the Force India drive.

Hopefully Wehrlein gets the seat, then he can have a season in a top car in 2017 while Mercedes get the chance to evaluate him - meantime they'll also get to try and secure either Alonso or Vettel for 2018, if Rosberg's replacement turns out not to be good enough and also depending on what Lewis decides in the next couple of years.

Date: December 03, 2016 01:50AM
Posted by: Laton
I can't see Lewis staying too long to be honest.

Sometimes he just looks like he doesn't give a @#$%&.
Date: December 06, 2016 02:25PM
Posted by: HarryHamm
toro rosso renault engine not ferrari for 2017
Date: December 06, 2016 07:04PM
Posted by: Frantic
They´re supposedly trying to get Alonso out of McLaren but I dont think thats going to happen.

Meanwhile, negotiations between Wehrlein and Sauber are now in hold as Merc figures out its lineup...

Also there is a rumour about Bottas having a clause in his contract to leave Williams and go to Mercedes, although I dont really think Williams will let him leave so easily.

An scenary with Valtteri in Merc, Wehrlein in Sauber and Nasr in Williams would be ok.

EDIT: Apparently Vandoorne will use number 2 and Stroll number 18

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2016 09:52PM by Frantic.
Date: December 15, 2016 05:21PM
ESPN are reporting that Mercedes are busy prising Bottas off Williams, and that Williams are already in advanced talks with Felipe Massa and that their aim is to drag him back for another year.
Date: December 18, 2016 02:27AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Really quite conflicting as a Massa fan - after such a big farewell there was a real sense of closure and it's strange to say that I almost don't want him to return for 2017 now.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: December 18, 2016 10:09AM
I agree, it's almost sad to see him returning for the reason that he can't win. If he beats his teammate then so what, he beat a rookie. If he loses to Stroll his reputation would be further tarnished.

That said, I'm not sure it was entirely his own decision to retire, and was perhaps forced to a degree from Williams bringing in Stroll and with no viable seats he chose to retire as a result.

Mind, I bet he wasn't happy at going out at the Brazilian GP like that, crashing out of his final race, and ignoring the wonderful reception he had I bet part of him really wants to make amends.
Date: December 18, 2016 12:53PM
Well it's either that or give Rubens a call :P
Date: December 20, 2016 07:20PM
Posted by: Frantic
So, it´s being reported that Massa agreed to stay at Williams for one more season *clicky*

Also, Pat Symonds out of Grove at the end of the year. I guess this implies a Valtteri-Paddy Lowe swap, or something like that.

There are some interesting sponsor moves, too. Dont know if it was already posted that ExxonMobil is leaving McLaren and going to Red Bull.

How many sponsors lost McLaren in the recent 3 years? They had a massive take off. Vodafone, Boss, Tag Heuer, etc etc etc? Also Force India is going to sign with Johnny Walker... Zak Brown said they´re looking for a title sponsor but for 2018, and apparently they have reached an agreement with BP-Castrol (although i didnt hear anything but rumours on that) but the situation is at least worrying.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2016 07:30PM by Frantic.
Date: December 20, 2016 09:34PM
Frantic
Also, Pat Symonds out of Grove at the end of the year. I guess this implies a Valtteri-Paddy Lowe swap, or something like that.

The BBC are saying that part of the Bottas deal is that Lowe's enforced gardening leave will be reduced, which could well be why Symonds has left already.

The Red Bull-Mobil deal was reported months back, but I don't know if it was official.

I wouldn't worry about McLaren's finances. I've no idea how they're doing it (despite massive gains in recent years, the car production branch can't be bringing that much in!) but they keep on throwing resources at the team, so the money must be coming from somewhere. A title sponsor will come along quick enough now Dennis, who was seemingly very picky about his partners, has gone.
Date: December 21, 2016 08:58PM
Posted by: J i m
Isn't Paddy Lowe out of contract by the end of year anyway? So there wouldn't be any gardening leave to waive. Lowe to Williams looks ever more likely following Symonds stepping down to retirement.

I imagine the negotiations will be more of a financial/technical nature with regards the engines.. a discount? Increased technical support?

I do think they'll need a better long term solution than Massa though.. his experience will be useful but he'll lack the hunger. Perhaps they ought to take a look at Sainz. With Ricciardo & Verstappen at Red Bull he won't be promoted anytime soon so why not let him spread his wings elsewhere?

Date: December 21, 2016 09:47PM
J i m
Isn't Paddy Lowe out of contract by the end of year anyway? So there wouldn't be any gardening leave to waive.

If Lowe's leaving I will staggered if he's allowed to simply walk out of one team and straight into another without a sweetner, especially given the nature of the information he will have had.

There has been plenty of talk of gardening leave, though I've no idea how accurate the information is. It could well be a fixed term in his contract that he can't work for another F1 team for x number of months - it happens in other industries.
Date: December 21, 2016 10:32PM
Posted by: phatdaddy
Im so glad. Love Paul Recard. Hated Magne Course. The only thing better is if it came back to Reims. lol

Date: December 21, 2016 11:32PM
Posted by: landex
For me was Massa one worst driver ive ever seen. His first ride in f1 was paid by the father, not by the talent.
Like Verstapen who has lots of talent, one of the best pilot now.
Date: December 22, 2016 12:51AM
Reims would be terrible. It was exciting back in the day because it was high speed, but today it would point, squirt and a few flat-out corners - a much more boring version of Monza.

If you want a good French track then you need to look no further than Le Mans Bugat... ha, who am I kidding - even Grand Prix Legends couldn't bare to keep it in the portrayed 1967 season, so used Rouen (1968) instead.

Now that was a great circuit until they tore it up. Dangerous as @#$%&, as Innes Irvine, Jackie Oliver and Jo Schlesser would have testified, but great. Or Clermont-Ferrand, which was even more nuts in places.

landex
For me was Massa one worst driver ive ever seen.

I completely disagree. He may have had his ride to F1 funded by his father, and his first season was a complete mess and his latter years a bit of a let down, but from the point he got in a Ferrari he was fantastic, up until that day in Hungary. He was never a top-class F1 driver, much in the way Mansell wasn't, but like Mansell he gave his all and came oh-so-close to winning what would have been a fully deserved title.

Massa's an odd one, as he's not particularly liked by the public, but nobody in the paddock has a bad thing to say about him - they all say you couldn't wish to meet a nicer guy - and it was very publicly evidenced in Interlagos. There's never been such a polarising driver so universally liked by those who know him and disliked by those who don't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2016 12:59AM by gav.
Date: December 22, 2016 02:39PM
landex Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For me was Massa one worst driver ive ever seen.
> His first ride in f1 was paid by the father, not
> by the talent.
> Like Verstapen who has lots of talent, one of the
> best pilot now.

Ah come on that's bullshit. He was erratic in his early career, yes, but then almost beat Hamilton to the title, then bounced back after what would to many be a career-ending injury.

He's pretty much kept Bottas in check over the course of the three years and still gets a decent amount of points.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2016 02:40PM by Laton.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy