The Official 2016 Canadian Grand Prix Thread ***Spoilers***

Posted by Toki 
Fri 10 – Sun 12 Jun 2016
FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DU CANADA 2016
Montreal
FIRST GRAND PRIX 1978
2015 Winner: Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
Lap Record: 1:13.622 Rubens Barrichello (2004)

The Real Story of the Race was that the Renault's fell apart and the Ferrari's didn't.
Rosberg headed for the sliproad and retired, probably because of Nicotin starvation they have still not given him a helmet with a little hole in it.
Two more tokens for Ferrari here, turbo upgrade to boost pressure and recover more energy I believe.
I think this is the race where we see if Red Bull can mount a serious challenge to Mercedes for the rest of the year. It's the same old story - brilliant chassis, questionable engine, and Canada being an engine track. I imagine some teams, like Renault, will be starting to turn their back on 2016 and begin looking at next year's car. Heck, I'd be doing that already if I was in charge at Ferrari.

Also, Thursday is scheduled to have a press conference to announce a new partner to F1 as a sport - it's expected to be Heineken, and they're expected to announce a partnership with a team, too. I wonder if these rumours are even close? This is F1 at the end of the day, so for all we know it might just be another kick in the nuts... Might end up being another 'major partnership' like the current one with Tata!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
There have been a lot of rumours about Heineken so I imagine it's done - at least in the form of track sponsorship if not a team sponsor just yet. It does seem a shame that FOM are competing for sponsors with teams, in the past most track sponsors also sponsored teams, but now track sponsors generally don't sponsor teams (apart from some minor deals with Mercedes for Allianz and UBS in recent years).

X (@ed24f1)
I always say that the cold races are the best, so lets see what happens here. Of course it helps that we're at a fun track anyway.

It sounds like the chance of rain by race time is basically zero.
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I always say that the cold races are the best, so
> lets see what happens here.

I'm pretty sure you're right, with the best example IMO being the 1995 European GP. There should be more races in Europe in the early spring and late autumn.

RE The Heineken sponsorship:

I just came across it the other day, so couldn't resist.

Hope we have a brilliant race! :)

Silverstone 2003 always comes to mind. That was a cold day and they couldn't stop passing each other (other than Schumacher, who as I remember was behind Villeneuve forever).
Ferrari, consistently messing up everything up with strategy, or lack of.
I think Ferrari just did not have the pace to beat Ham on the same strategy, it was worth a shot imho

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
A definite disappointment that Vettle and the Ferrari challenge melted away, strategy blunder or not he just fizzled out.

Epic turn one, Austin all over again. It was probably all legal and marginal and all that fluff but it's a shame Hamilton too often effectively drives Rosberg off the track.

Lmao at Vettle gate crashing Hamilton's sky interview and the ensuring hilarity regarding seagulls.

W00t Bottas on the podium, a well driven race, taking advantage of the cooler conditions and managing the tyres well. Can't remember the last time a Williams made it's perform better than Red Bull.

Awesome defensive driving by Verstappen... That's how you do it without being a dick. Even Rosberg acknowledged that.

Where on earth was Kimi?

Good stuff by Sainz meanwhile Kyvat walked into a bar, as was asked 'why the long face?'.

Yes they got unlucky with the VSC closing half way through their stop - that could have saved them another few seconds. But as mentioned in the commentary it was always going to be hard for Hamilton to pass them on track so perhaps they could have maintained the one stopper - although it was going to be difficult to avoid the undercut.

X (@ed24f1)
A dull race, only made better by the seagulls interview. :D When Seb is in that sort of form he is unmatched by anyone current and probably in the past too. It's why we loved him when he first started.

I can't complain about Ferrari's strategy. It made perfect sense at the time if they were planning to make 2 stops, and as said it saved them plenty of time even with the VSC ending during the stop. As Hamilton said Mercedes were planning to 2-stop too, and other teams couldn't make it so perhaps Ferrari couldn't either. I think Mercedes were faster than Ferrari anyway, so even with a 1-stop Hamilton probably likely would have got him at some point.

I'm normally one to complain about Hamilton shoving Rosberg off every time he overtakes him (previous to Barcelona - Montreal last year was hardly the same), but I genuinely thought Hamilton actually understeered into him, looking at Hamilton's steering. Normally when pushing someone wide Hamilton eases off the steering lock (see Austin for example, both 2014 and 2015), so while I'm annoyed that there is never an investigation into Hamilton doing this (he seldom does to anyone but Rosberg), this looks like a genuine mistake.
That interview is pure gold (Y)

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
100% agree that it looked like Lewis understeered into Nico, guess we'll never know.

Dull race. Dull dull dull.

In other news, the Waif from Game of Thrones looks hella like Kimi Raikkonen.

gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A dull race, only made better by the seagulls
> interview. :D When Seb is in that sort of form he
> is unmatched by anyone current and probably in the
> past too. It's why we loved him when he first
> started.

I never saw the interview at the time, since I was watching the Vipbox stream in a Travelodge and logged off after the podium ceremony. Never watched Sky F1 at home again till mid-week - finally saw it when the Midweek Report came on.

Genius. Seb has the Kryptonite for humour - I've never known any driver be so witty and funny. Any interview with him genuinely makes me LOL at some point. A particular favourite of mine for a while is the Ted Kravitz one where Ted asks him what the Seb on Kepler25B might be doing.

This was as good as anything yet though. I thought he was about to say the seagulls possibly had obesity issues, which was why they weren't moving... That would've been the next stage. Maybe. :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2016 03:59AM by EC83.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy