The Official 2016 Monaco Grand Prix Thread ***Spoilers***

Posted by Toki 
FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DE MONACO 2016
Thu 26 – Sun 29 May 2016
Lap Record: 1:18.063 DANIEL RICCIARDO Red Bull Racing (2015)
2015 Winner: Nico Rosberg Mercedes

The Real Story of the Race was that the Renault's fell apart and the Ferrari's didn't.
Rosberg headed for the sliproad and retired, probably because of Nicotin starvation they have still not given him a helmet with a little hole in it.
Please tell me I wasn't the only one who woke up this morning thinking "it's qualifying day". How disappointing!

Maybe not the best conversation starter, but the Monaco track doesn't seem to be holding up very well this year... first of all, Button smacks into a loose drain cover, and secondly, Markelov had a crash in GP2 yesterday where the Armco barrier completely gave way. I imagine that was quite common in the 70s going by what I've read but I've certainly never seen it happen since I've been watching F1.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Yes I'm sure that the FIA won't be too happy with it, the circuit already is stretching it in terms of modern safety standards so it's surprising to see a few things like this go wrong as you mention.

X (@ed24f1)
Well, Monaco highlights it - Williams clearly have a @#$%& chassis this year :(

I put £20 in Max to win this world title just as something to keep my eye on, (I thought the odds of 40/1 were quite good) which is why he is back of the grid today.
Flat tire
Please tell me I wasn't the only one who woke up this morning thinking "it's qualifying day". How disappointing! Yeah
No. You are not only one. I've been looking for to this race all week.

I really hope it doesn't rain. Either way, I am sure it will be a very interesting F1 as usual. I don't really want to get too much into it but if it is dry, the critical moment is going to be when Daniel Ricciardo's soft tires start to go off and how comfortable he will be anticipating how much it will slide each lap but that's just my 5¢.

How about those crane operators! Did they rent the cranes? They should have at least hired some crane operators or at the very least given them time to practice, maybe on that Pirelli tire mock-up.
It's setup very nicely for DRic... here's hoping he can nail the start, build a two to three second gap, manage it, manage his supersofts, stay out far longer than everyone else behind who'll make the switch from ultras to supers, pit with a 25 sec or so lead, then pop back out still in the lead with some nice new purple wheels and then cruise to a 6 second victory. It's not too much to ask for is it? ;)

And how about Max? Hero to zero in the space of two race weekends. It will however be fantastic to see him hopefully aggressively picking his way through the field. If he can snag a point or two after making half a dozen or so overtakes on track plus picking up one or two due to strategy, the hype should only continue to build.

Chances of Lewis and Nico hitting each other on lap 1 again? Got to be reasonably high given it Monaco?
Assuming it's a dry race (which looks unlikely) then I guess Ricciardo needs the Mercs to come out behind other super-soft starters after their first stint, as they'll surely be quicker on their super-softs than Ricciardo will be on his with more wear on them.

It's set up really well for an interesting race, so much so that I don't want it to rain! I suppose it is a long time since we had a wet race here (2008 and the luckiest win ever?) so I guess it will be good to see the most challenging track even dicier.

Looking forward to seeing how Verstappen comes through the field (hopefully not quite as dramatic as last year!).

Frankly it's just good to see the drivers dancing through the streets, and while the race is never a great spectacle here, it's always fun to see the drivers really having to drive.
Laton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, Monaco highlights it - Williams clearly have
> a @#$%& chassis this year :(

Williams actually look a bit faster this year at Monaco than the last two years

X (@ed24f1)
flat tyre Wrote:
> Please tell me I wasn't the only one who woke up
> this morning thinking "it's qualifying day". How
> disappointing!

Nope, I woke up yesterday morning thinking exactly the same thing, then woke up this morning even more excited about race day. In fact I've been wide awake for 2 hours now looking forward to the race, and I'm nocturnal!

You were bang on! :)

And yeah, going by the state of the track during Practice and GP2 it looked like this weekend could well have come through a timewarp from 1973.

RE The race itself, this looks awesome! So much excitement going on here.
Shades of 2008 at the moment(And to a lesser extent 1996, although the track had dried out more before the start that year).
Brilliant!! Can't wait for this one. :D

Yeah for some reason I'm really excited about this one. So much so I've even paid out for a NowTV day pass for Sky Sports rather than juggling streams, listening to it on the radio or watching it later. :\

The track looks really slippery in the wet this year, though I suppose we've had very little wet running here for so long that it's hard to remember.

It looked like they were changing the front corner of Verstappen's car from 20 minutes or so back after the wheel locked on... that would be some going to get that ready for the race!

Ian Ferguson (BBC weather guy who follows F1) saying that there'll be more heavy rain coming in before the start (behind the stuff falling at the moment), so we're unlikely to see a standing start.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2016 01:32PM by gav.
Start the damn motor race before I piss myself.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2016 02:12PM by Laton.
Disgraceful driving from Hamilton there, cutting the chicane to maintain position and then swerving at Ricciardo. Hope that gets penalised.

No further action - that's disappointing.
Go for it Daniel!

Looks like a fascinating race between all the top 4, in fact.

Much win in the Sauber sector right now. Oh dear.

RTL-Commentators great again...
Teamradio Nasr "What was that for?" Danner answers that this was the result of Nasr not letting Ericsson pass, then bashing on Nasr the next minute or so. But when Rosberg let's Hamilton past at the start, commentators are hating on stall-order and that they would rather see drivers race each other ;)
Really gutted for Ricciardo wonder if any rival teams will see an opportunity to try and poach him or at least start some discussions which could make things interesting.

Could he have passed Hamilton around the outside of Tabac if there was no block? My gut instinct was no but would have been great to see - particularly with Hamilton on the wet side of the track.

Great drive from Perez really surprising how he's performed over Hulk in the past 18 months or so.

X (@ed24f1)
I feel for Ricciardo here. To do everything right and then have a Monaco win taken away from him because the team @#$%& up his pitstop... Pathetic of them, especially if they'd made the call.
After Barcelona too, I thought he controlled his emotions very well on the podium.

EC83 Wrote:
> I feel for Ricciardo here. To do everything right
> and then have a Monaco win taken away from him
> because the team @#$%& up his pitstop... Pathetic
> of them, especially if they'd made the call.
> After Barcelona too, I thought he controlled his
> emotions very well on the podium.

Ironic that Hamilton inherited the win under such circumstances after the way he lost the race due to a pit miscommunication in 2015 too

X (@ed24f1)
Yep, true dat.

P 10 and P 12 :( :-(

The Real Story of the Race was that the Renault's fell apart and the Ferrari's didn't.
Rosberg headed for the sliproad and retired, probably because of Nicotin starvation they have still not given him a helmet with a little hole in it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy