2017 rule changes

Posted by flat tyre 
Re: 2017 rule changes
Date: August 25, 2016 04:24AM
Posted by: GP2tifoso28
I'm not against progress, I'm against the halo, and closed or semi closed cockpits completely. I'm in favour of all the safety advances made since 1950, no one should be getting hurt. I'm not suggesting these guys should be driving around in flappy leather helmets and goggles. I'm against the DNA of Formula 1 being lost, it is basically lost anyway, however the only constant we've had is open wheel open cockpit racing.

We can digress on the technical definition of a freak accident until the cows come home, but the point I'm making is that his accident wasn't a result of normal race circumstances. They were more concerned about going the full distance in low light and safety took a back seat. His death was clearly preventable and now the FIA want to save face by sticking a band aid over the top (instead of admitting fault) by introducing this concept, and citing other incidences where deaths have occurred in different formulae as supporting evidence for the need of its introduction. Like I said, those guys in indycar are racing inverted aircraft around high speed ovals, things are going to go horribly wrong. No one has a gun to their head forcing them to do it, I can't see how that should affect the DNA of F1.

Lets not forget Silverstone 2013, tyres of Formula 1's creation exploding at high speed with objects flying though the air and drivers in open cockpit cars. Not once was a red flag shown, and not once in the aftermath was cockpit protection discussed... and post Bianchi its all they've been talking about? They are saving face, diverting attention away from the real cause of the tragedy, and they have succeeded in what they have done because no one is talking about the FIA's misconduct and everyone is talking about how allegedly unsafe F1 cockpits are. The FIA are off the hook. If they were serious they'd just close the thing off completely, close off the wheels as well and be done with it.

Regardless, its a pointless debate, the halos are coming, nothing will stop it so theres hardly any point in discussing it. Every one will have different opinions and I respect their opinions, but it wont change anything and the halos will be here. Anyone who doesn't like it will have to deal with it, thats the reality of the situation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2016 04:30AM by GP2tifoso28.
Re: 2017 rule changes
Date: August 25, 2016 11:12AM
Posted by: gav
GP2tifoso28
Lets not forget Silverstone 2013, tyres of Formula 1's creation exploding at high speed with objects flying though the air and drivers in open cockpit cars. Not once was a red flag shown, and not once in the aftermath was cockpit protection discussed

No, I don't think we discussed it back then. Chilton did hit get a tyre (thankfully without the wheel!) in his face though.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy