The Official 2016 Formula One Season

Posted by madotter 
I understand the safety side of it but I always think most of us fans would take the risk for half the money they are paid! You can never fully get rid of the risks in Motorsport.

Still over time I'm sure we will get used to it but I personally think it looks terrible.
I don't see why this is being introduced in F1 first, particularly with such an ugly design, when fan interest is already waning. I think it would be much more suitable for IndyCars, particularly on the ovals, with higher speeds and often more flying debris due to the nature of the circuits. Apart from that, could a trial be used in GP2 or GP3 before F1? With some of the driving standards in that series, it's probably going to have more chance of saving someone. Either way, there is no occasion in the past 30 years of F1 that this would have saved someone, so I don't see why there is a need to rush this in before a proper canopy is added (if anything is to be done at all) - it seems half-hearted. This is still not going to stop small debris such as springs or even shredded tyres a la Silverstone 2013. Visibility might be okay in the most parts, but uphill sections such as Eau Rouge or Turn 1 Austin could be a challenge.

gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It wouldn't have saved Bianchi and it probably
> wouldn't have helped Massa, but it almost
> certainly would have prevented the deaths of Henry
> Surtees and Ayrton Senna (and perhaps Justin
> Wilson).

Would it have saved Senna from the piercing from the suspension though?

X (@ed24f1)
SchueyFan
Would it have saved Senna from the piercing from the suspension though?

It wasn't the suspension so much as what the suspension was attached to. Would the suspension have reached if the wheel hit the halo? Maybe, but in a hypothetical world if you'd offered Senna the halo if knew he would have an accident he wouldn't have shown you the door.
in first place its incredible how in the last 25 years motorsport in general reduced the risks at a minimun on most cases. but as said above you simply cant make the risk a 0%. You could aim to a zero risk but only as a philosophy of reducing as much as possible. if this device can save lives and its proved reliable in all situations (ex. when the driver cant get out the car by his own and that sort of things) im ok with it

the only thing that concerns me is that i see as a possible, something hitting the halo and subsequently changing its trayectory making it hit the driver. Freak, but possible... I guess they´ve made sims with it and have statistics proof that it would make things better in most cases... I say, awhat are the odds of that happening? but again what are the odds of accidents like massa´s of jules´accidents?

anyway, it is still in an early test stage. Dont know if said before but Red Bull is looking to test their own head protection proposal in some days. could be more aesthetically pleasing that the mercedes one

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2016 07:52PM by Frantic.
It doesn't look quite a ugly as I feared but still dammed ugly all the same.

There's not really a justifiable excuse not to persue its development though and we get used to weird looking cars eventually anyway.

I'm not convinced that in isolation it would have done much to save Senna though as pointed out it was the suspension which struck his head. The changes made in the mid 90s already went a long way to reducing the risk of Senna type fatailty with raised cockpit sides and padding and carbon fibre suspension which would shatter instead of piecing the chassis, and then later on ofcourse wheel tethers.

Personally aesthetically I'd prefer a closed canopy solution. Sure I hear the concerns about debris deflection etc but answer this. Why is that not an issue in touring cars, prototypes and 'tin tops' in general?

I agree with gav's comment, I think we will get used to it like all of the other changes to have come in over the last few years.

What I do find odd though is how many people seem to think a closed cockpit is some magic pill to this problem of head protection.

As a Designer / Engineer with over 10 years experience at the highest end of the Automotive sector, designing windscreen and wash / wipe systems amongst other things, there are many issues with a closed cockpit outside of the simple act of ingress / egress.

How would you keep the vision area clear during a race? A wiper (apart from the system being heavy) would not be compatible with the required screen curvature let alone be able to cope with the speed.

A high pressure wash system can only operate with any accuracy up to around 60kph and that is pushing it.

By the end of the race the drivers wouldn't be able to see where they are going and that would likely cause more accidents than it solves.

As much as I hate the aesthetics of the 'Halo' design it is the only feasible option at that moment
So that's it, eight days of testing over and a field full of close evolutions looks set to see the status quo largerly kept.

A generic feel of the form and order:

Group 1:
Mercedes - enough said

Group 2:
Ferrari - ought to be Mercedes greatest challenger having won what Ron Dennis would coin the 'winter world championships'
Williams - emerged from typically pragmatic no frills start to testing with encouraging signs that they could be a far greater threat to Ferrari than last year
Red Bull - never ever write them off

Group 3:
Force India - looking good, ought to produce the odd giant killing result
Toro Rosso - should start well with a good little chassis but might fall behind as other power units leave the 2015 spec behind
McLaren Honda - definite improvements but still down on power
Renault - suitably low expectations
Sauber - much the same as last year, will have some good days but will be out developed by the others

Group 4:
Hass - definitely better prepared than the last generation of new teams could spring the odd surprise but won't be up to the midfield consistently
Manor - big expectations but will be vying with Hass for tailend honours.

I think Renault and Haas could form group 4 with Manor making a group 5. The Renault car will have lost a years development and they've got a worse engine, while Haas have been OK pace wise but have been very poor reliability wise this week.

Despite the whole 'let's not read much into testing times' argument, I agree that Mercedes are way ahead. They've not even used the super softs or ultra softs in pre-season and it could quite frankly be scary when they bolt them on in Melbourne.

I think most of us thought that Ferrari would make a decent step forward this year, but on face value they've not shown the pace I expected and Mercedes must have done a third more laps than them. If anything the gap has grown. :(

I'm not sure how well F1 will cope with another season of Mercedes domination given how depressing the previous few seasons have been and the very frank criticism from its top drivers in the past few days. It's not going to be a fun year.
It'll only be as fun as you let it be. If you tune into the races, pay attention to the other battles going on down the field and keep an eye on the other motorsport series around, you'll have fun.

If you watch solely for the lead battle and immediately read through everything Sky Sports retweets from fans who are so negative that everything around them loses its colour, then you probably won't. Enjoy it for what it is, take the rough with the smooth, etc, and be thankful it's not 2004 where nothing whatsoever happened at all.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
The problem is we've had to concentrate on the midfield for 5 of the last 7 seasons or something like that (1x Button domination, 2x Vettel domination and 2x Mercedes domination) and the last 3 seasons in a row. It would be nice to have a bit of a mix like we had in 2010 and 2012.

If the racing itself was better (as in the drivers were able to lean on the tyres a bit more and DRS had less effect) then it would at least be better than watching the "egg shell" racing that Hamilton said will be the case this year.

It's a difficult balance given how poor much of the 2000s were, but Hamilton (or was it Alonso) was right when he said the sport lacked direction. F1 is in serious risk of forgetting what made it great.

apparently this would be renault´s racing livery, as it seems on twitter. i hope to be wrong, honestly

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2016 05:52PM by Frantic.
Looks like a 2002 Jordan. It just needs a DHL logo on the side now.

Too many teams have similar liveries, Renault having a different livery to the other teams is good (Y)
Certainly will stand out but shame they didn't make any attempt to integrate the black and yellow (like 2010) rather than having so much solid colour (in both versions).

X (@ed24f1)
<3

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Yup, I'm liking that. Good to see it's not quite as bright as Jordan's old liveries too. I was never a fan of Renault's 2010 livery (or any of the recent ones)... it looked too much like a wasp.
Looks nice. Yellow & Black are Renault's trade colors anyway so it makes sense.

According to Renault there will be gold!

"You see some bits of black which we decided to keep because we understood there was a lot of enthusiasm for the car that we tested over the winter. And you see also something that will be even more visible on the actual car because obviously that's not the car that we will race on Friday - that could not be here, it's in bits - which is the gold at the back of the car.

"It will be even more visible again on the race car. It is a statement for where we want to be: gold and nothing else, nothing less than that."

Thanks,
Iain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2016 04:26PM by madotter.
this qualy system sucks, big time.

my thoughts as well. As it stands I'm not going to watch ANY qualifying this season anymore, while I occasionally would last season. Can't stand this elimination method, completely hate how some drivers were eliminated while being on a lap that would've easily got them in Q2 (or am I wrong on that Haas-team here?). So I'll be watching the results from now on -.-
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy