Official 2015 Italian Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS with auto-correcting tablets and Toro Rossi***

Posted by EC83 
Martin Brundle's grid walk is underway now. LOL at Niki Lauda saying Kimi might "blow Lewis off" on the run to the first corner. :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2015 01:15AM by EC83.
Kimi clearly got distracted by that image when the lights went off haha!

Interesting to see what comes about from the stewards investigation, if they are found guilty i think DSQ is the right outcome - not really fair if they are allowed to game the system by increasing a gap to avoid a time penalty costing them a position.

X (@ed24f1)
Yeah, rules are rules. If you're 0.1mm out with rear wing dimensions, you'd get DSQ'd for a technical infringement, no matter how negligible the performance advantage. It's a similar case to Ricciardo at Melbourne last year; it was a tiny fluctuation in fuel flow but he had his result thrown out.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
The question then becomes why weren't they black-flagged immediately, particularly as it was a safety issue. Fascinating to see what happens.

As some have already mentioned online, it would be ironic if Vettel inherits a race win because of a rule that he indirectly helped create through a failure at Spa.

X (@ed24f1)
For me it would also be ironic if Lewis gets stripped of a win in race that went so exceptionally perfectly for him, even down to Nico failing to finish. It would be a dream result for Vettel's title chances though.

SchueyFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kimi clearly got distracted by that image when the
> lights went off haha!

LMAO!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2015 05:33PM by EC83.
No penalty for Mercedes.

As per the FIA comments and the Stewards report, it appears the tyre temps for the left rears were lower in Mercedes than those taken on other cars (as the tyre blankets were disconnected from their power source) - hence when the pressures were taken they were likely to be lower as a result. The FIA and stewards were reportedly satisfied that when the tyres were fitted to the car, the tyre pressures were legal.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2015 06:04PM by Diax F1.
If that is the case, then that's perfectly reasonable. It does beg the question why the FIA didn't measure tyre temperatures though...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
They did measure tyre temperature at the same time, as stated in their initial statement on the investigation. Perhaps the odd numbers were the reason they waited so long into the race and then until after the race.

I think it was fair that they were allowed Lewis to build a gap though. Mercedes didn't know the penalty if they were going to be found guilty, but if it was to be a drive through in the race then they would have had a chance to fight back, so they ought to have been allowed to do so anyway. The chances are there were only ever going to be two outcomes though - in the clear or disqualification.

It does raise some rather interesting questions though - are Mercedes submitting their tyres to multiple heat cycles, giving them better durability or performance? Why else would their tyres be so much cooler on the grid?
Diax F1 Wrote:
> No penalty for Mercedes.
>
> As per the FIA comments and the Stewards report,
> it appears the tyre temps for the left rears were
> lower in Mercedes than those taken on other cars
> (as the tyre blankets were disconnected from their
> power source) - hence when the pressures were
> taken they were likely to be lower as a result.
> The FIA and stewards were reportedly satisfied
> that when the tyres were fitted to the car, the
> tyre pressures were legal.

Doesn't make sense at all. I'm pretty sure they measured both pressure and temperature in left front for 4 cars in front row, and two of those 4 cars had pressure lower than minimum.
Rob Smedley said that it would take minutes or even longer for pressure to go down from moment heating blankets were removed, which sounds reasonable when you think about it.
How Mercedes talked them out of this is beyond my understanding, especially since two cars were excluded from gp2 for same technical infringements.
Political power I guess.

Some mods
F1 1996 | F1 2002 | F1 2007 | F1 2011 | F1 2013 | F1 2015 | F1 2018
GP2 don't use tyre blankets so their tyres should only ever be above the minimum pressure.

Hamilton's I can understand as it was a relatively fine margin, but Rosberg was quite a way out at 18.4 PSI.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2015 12:42PM by gav.
Yes it would have been interesting if it was the reverse and Hamilton won with 1.1 under. Might have been harder to defend.

X (@ed24f1)
The whole thing is a bit silly tbh.

Merc and their tyre engineer said the tyres were ok when they were put on the car in the blanket, but the fia said they were not ok at the start of the race. Rob at Williams has said tyres do not lose much pressure when out the blanket. But the rules state the amount of pressure at a certain temp, as the tyres were not at that temp when the pressure was taken it does not count therefore the FIA cannot prove it.

My question would be why are three of the tyres ok, why is it just that one that is not?

I think Merc got very lucky and I expected them to get DQ from the race. I don't think they done anything on purpose and I don't think it changed anything in the race. But to only check 4 cars? there could have been a number of cars that were under inflated. I just think they got away with its as the proper way of checking the tyres was not carried out by the FIA and it also looks like Ferrari and Merc were targeted by the FIA as their drivers were the most outspoken.

Plus as for people saying there should be zero tolerance, people forget Sepang 1999 Ferrari got away with something that could have made a difference but not much of one.

As for the race well not much to say, Lewis dominated the whole weekend. Feel so bad for Nico none of what happened over the weekend was his fault and he was having a good race.

two of the next 7 races lewis can afford not to finish so Nico really needs to start winning and hope lewis hit trouble. I really think the way its going this championship will be over with 3 races left.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2015 05:07PM by marcl.
EC83 Wrote:
> For me it would also be ironic if Lewis gets
> stripped of a win in race that went so
> exceptionally perfectly for him, even down to Nico
> failing to finish. It would be a dream result for
> Vettel's title chances though.
>

Nico's engine broke, after he was told the same message as Lewis. One can wonder, if it would have lasted the last two laps, if he had held the planned pace and engine settings.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
marcl
My question would be why are three of the tyres ok, why is it just that one that is not?

They only tested one tyre per car (either a random tyre which is repeated on subsequent cars, or perhaps the tyre most at risk of failure if run outside of the parameters).

I expect they tested most if not all of the cars on the grid, but this one guy was responsible for the top four cars, hence why his Ferrari readings (more likely his gauge's readings) were documented with the Mercedes cars.
Just noticed I @#$%& up the thread title and managed to leave "Prix" out of it. Bollocks.
Where's Jimz0r when you need him? ;)

Morbid Wrote:
> Nico's engine broke, after he was told the same
> message as Lewis. One can wonder, if it would have
> lasted the last two laps, if he had held the
> planned pace and engine settings.

Actually one can wonder if Hamilton could've done such a good job of nursing an engine to within 3 laps of the end of its 6th full race, at a renowned track for breaking engines, after being unfairly disadvantaged by reliability issues with his new engine earlier in the weekend. Nico deserves empathy and praise for his drive here, not criticism for something that wasn't his fault.
Still, haters gonna hate, eh?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2016 06:50AM by EC83.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy