Congrats to Nico Hulkenberg

Posted by davidm 
Congrats to Nico Hulkenberg
Date: June 14, 2015 04:16PM
Posted by: davidm
Congratulations to Niko Hulkenberg. That was one of the most exciting Le Mans I've followed in years. The first few hours brilliant. Perhaps Porsche is a better bet than Force India.
Re: Congrats to Nico Hulkenberg
Date: June 14, 2015 07:38PM
Posted by: gav
The opening 8 hours or so were awesome throughout the field. :D

It's nice to see a return to years gone by where drivers from F1 are also able to race the 24 hours, and hopefully Hulkenberg's success might encourage others, though I'm sure all of the works drivers will have that forbidden in their contracts.

A bit of a show up for the other cars that the part-timers came in and showed them how it's done. Obviously more to it than that (including the 1 minute penalty for the #17) but it was still nice to see that people can still turn up and challenge.

Gutted for the #98 Aston Martin at the end. I've done the 24 hours a few times with the NR2003 GTP mod and we were very flat when we retired from our first with an engine failure with 7 hours to go... what it must be like to crash out of the lead like that in the last hour in real life I can barely begin to imagine.
Date: June 14, 2015 10:06PM
Posted by: n00binio
Great race indeed.

@gav: I had the same thoughts for the #88 Porsche. The team has put tons of work into preparation, practice and qualy runs and then the car burns down one hour into the race. Must be horrible :(

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: June 15, 2015 08:15AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
It was an interesting race, shame that the LMP1 battle didn't extend further into the race but the opening stints were outstanding as mentioned.

Great story to see the 'underdog' car win, not many were really expecting that!

Hopefully this encourages more current F1 drivers to try and attempt Le Mans while they are still in F1. It may not work for drivers in factory teams in F1 but for those in independent teams it can provide a lot of publicity, as I'm sure it will for Force India. I wonder what Mercedes think though, considering Force India is a customer team of them and now one of their drivers has gone and got a lot of publicity for their rival Porsche!

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 15, 2015 11:22AM
n00binio
@gav: I had the same thoughts for the #88 Porsche. The team has put tons of work into preparation, practice and qualy runs and then the car burns down one hour into the race. Must be horrible

Going back to the online endurance races we used to do, the first Le Mans 24 hour race we did one of the cars of our great rivals, the Dutch SFH team, blew an engine pulling away for the formation lap.

You practice for a month in the build up, doing what you can to extract the maximum from the car, spend hours planning driver change strategies, then that happens. I was gutted for them. The fact that it's virtual as opposed to reality made little difference.
Date: June 15, 2015 11:41AM
When I used to do online championships in the Codemasters F1 series I used to get very emotionally invested and really down when something went wrong, I can't imagine what it would be like if I was ever doing a 24 hour or endurance virtual race!

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 15, 2015 10:58PM
Posted by: n00binio
Honestly speaking that's exactly the reason why I switch off failures when I want to do a race over full distance in GP4. Too bad you can't do that in real life :(

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: June 16, 2015 02:48PM
By the way, expect a certain F1 team with Honda links to team up with BMW for their upcoming LMP1 program.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 16, 2015 03:29PM
Posted by: J i m
Good on the Hulk.

But also congrats to Nick Tandy, (who really took off into the night hours) and Earl Bamber. Lets not forget that Nico Hulkenberg is not bigger than the rest of the team simply because he's a F1 driver.

Date: June 16, 2015 09:36PM
This is the F1 forum though Jim, hence the appreciation for those we know better than the others. Of course he had no bigger a role than Earl or Nick, but it was nice to see an F1 driver free of his shackles for once, one most of us will on, and to win it... well, it's a mini fairytale for someone we all know to a degree who's never won a top-flight honour before, yet has been championed many a time.
Date: June 17, 2015 01:40PM

Chester thinks F1 car could win Le Mans

Lotus' technical boss thinks a formula one car could win at Le Mans. The fabled 24 hour sports car race is in the headlines at present, after full-time Force India driver Nico Hulkenberg won on Sunday for Porsche. Not only that, former grand prix winner Mark Webber has switched full-time to the ever-burgeoning world endurance championship and thinks it may have taken over from F1 as the most challenging category.

"I mainly think about the drivers," Webber told the Telegraph. "If they're happy, and on the edge, and it's risky, pushing the boundaries, then the fans love it. At the moment it's not like that." On the other hand, the former Red Bull driver said, the top Le Mans cars today are "extremely futuristic, sexy -- beasts to be tamed".

But Nick Chester, the technical boss at Lotus, thinks the regulations shift in F1 in recent years means he can now imagine a grand prix car winning at Le Mans. "The current engine regulations mean we have an engine and gearbox which could cover the race distance and that certainly wasn't the case in the past," he said. "The current F1 car could go in an endurance race such is the performance life of so many of the parts these days. In the past with the V8s and older gearboxes, you wouldn't have the durability.

"Maybe it's something we should talk to the ACO about," added Chester, referring to the Le Mans governing body. "It would be a lot of fun," he said, "and I'd love the challenge of engineering an F1 car for a 24 hour race."

Respected F1 correspondent Kevin Eason thinks that, given formula one's current problems, Chester's idea could be an ideal opportunity for the sport. "Instead of a driver (Hulkenberg) getting a day off to compete at Le Mans, give a team the funds and the time to develop a formula one car to compete at Le Mans," he wrote in the Times.

"Prove that F1 is still the greatest of them all."

Hmm yes, well I'd love to see the novelty of an F1 car lapping the 24 Heures du mans circuit... maybe even racing on it... but competing in the 24 hours?

So where on the F1 car should the headlights be installed? Or are they expecting the entire 8 mile circuit to be flood lit? Also driver change at pitstops would be a real chore.

Date: June 17, 2015 02:50PM
Posted by: EricMoinet
Now we know why Lotus is such a crap team since a couple of years.

Date: June 17, 2015 03:17PM
J i m
Also driver change at pitstops would be a real chore.

If this was to happen tomorrow, that would be one of the biggest hurdles, as it's not just the seat which is customised to each driver, but the pedals settings and so on.

I don't know how they manage it in a LMP car, but I guess they have the means in place to electronically move the pedals. Or perhaps given the decent pool of drivers most of the prototype teams have that they simply try to partner similarly-sized drivers together and is only the seat which changes?
Date: June 18, 2015 12:12PM
Imagine the sparks along the Hunaudières!

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 18, 2015 09:25PM
Indeed,

Backpedalling back to topic slightly...

They might be rather pleased with themselves...

Congrats Nico, Nick and Earl.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy