The 2015 Formula One Season

Posted by madotter 
Re: The 2015 Formula One Season
Date: January 02, 2015 11:48PM
Posted by: n00binio
Laton schrieb:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Big sticky slicks. V10s. Customer cars (F1 needs
> shi**y privateers). Estoril. Low, unstepped noses.
> "Musical chairs" rule as discussed above. Imola.
> Ban on Santander trophies. Non championship races
> in exotic places. Jean Alesi. Maybe even V12s.
> More engine suppliers. Laguna Seca.
>
> What else?

One car at my disposal

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: January 03, 2015 05:19AM
Posted by: EC83
V12s and V8s too. Brands Hatch to host the British GP for the foreseeable. Zandvoort. Pre-1982 Hockenheim. Pre-1986 Paul Ricard. Grade 2 and Grade 3(FIA) circuits made eligible to host F1 races. No more silly venue-swapping and a return to 2(or even more) races per country per year. Phoenix. Buenos Aires. Ridiculously soft tyres that degrade in a handful of laps even at Sochi. Pre-2003 Monaco. Massive relaxation of the regulations to allow scope for more diverse cars and real innovation again. Jacques Villeneuve. Cold races as well as hot ones(Like Spa in February, for example, or Austria in November. That would be interesting). Anderstorp. Istanbul. Financial security guaranteed for small teams. Private teams allowed to run year-old cars or even GP2 cars if it guaranteed their participation.

Oh yeah, and the Nordschleife. The German GP would move back there. 1981-Hockenheim would be used for the 2nd German race(Luxembourg/Europe/whatever).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2015 05:23AM by EC83.
Date: January 03, 2015 02:36PM
Posted by: kedy89
Gravel traps.

Some mods
F1 1996 | F1 2002 | F1 2007 | F1 2011 | F1 2013 | F1 2015 | F1 2018
Date: January 03, 2015 03:28PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
I wonder what people wanted when we actually had all that stuff. Probably the 1960s, no doubt.

I bet the people of 2035 will want all the stuff we have now...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: January 04, 2015 08:04AM
Incident 2k9 Wrote:
> I wonder what people wanted when we actually had
> all that stuff. Probably the 1960s, no doubt.

One thing people seemed to want was more overtaking. James Hunt(Not necessarily an exact representation of public opinion, but he seemed to be in touch where these things were concerned) used to complain - even very early on in his time as a commentator - that the wings and aerodynamics of "modern" cars and the turbulence they caused in the corners made overtaking difficult. The earliest I know of him pointing this out was during the 1980 British GP. And the most recent time before those wings, obviously, was the 60s.
So you're probably right.

Incident 2k9 Wrote:
> I bet the people of 2035 will want all the stuff
> we have now...

Hopefully not. Hopefully, by the 2030s, the situation will have been sorted out and F1 will have the best of both past(Character restored) and future(Advancements in technology being used for safety purposes). Hopefully! LOL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2015 08:09AM by EC83.
Date: January 04, 2015 02:08PM
Posted by: Laton
To me, even watching reviews if years like 1992 and 1993 (which I saw for real the first time around but I was very young) the cars looked far harder to drive, broke down more often and the whole thing was generally more entertaining than what it is now. And the cars were sexy.
Date: January 04, 2015 03:21PM
Posted by: J i m
I really don't understand much of the negativity we see about F1 all the time.

Yes, there are some problems which need solving.. but honestly? The racing is as good as it's ever been.

It's almost as if it's simply fashionable or cool to knock it.

I got into F1 in the early 90s and I will always love that era... but it wasn't any better than what we have today or any other era.

Date: January 04, 2015 09:59PM
Posted by: gav
I'm with Jim.

We've got slicks back, less aero devices, overtaking, no traction control, lumpy torquey turbo engines and so on. Pretty much everything we were crying for in the last 15 years.

The only negative for me is the relatively quiet engines (which I still love the sound of), though if you're going to use that argument the V8s were just soulless noise compared to the V10s, the V10s were poor compared to the 412 T1/T2 V12, which was poor compared to the variation we got in the 80s, 70s and 60s, and none compared to the 16 cylinder BRM blocks. The 80s turbo era is looked back on with huge fondness, but they weren't loud either. F1 moves on.

Other than that, it's just the increasingly oddball top brass and shrinking grids (we can link them) and Tilkedromes.
Date: January 05, 2015 09:44PM
I guess you guys are largely right really - it's all relative. We do need something done about the current circuits though.

Date: January 05, 2015 10:17PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
F1 is very good as it is. Some fans need to take off the rose-tinted specs and realise it is not the 80s anymore.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: January 05, 2015 10:32PM
Rose tinted specs is about right... Okay... The cars were spectacular, we had Senna, prost, mansell, rosberg etc... But the racing was no better than today... Actually the gaps between the cars were far bigger and hardly any of them finished ;-)

Date: January 05, 2015 11:16PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
And surely that is the integral part of what makes Formula 1 appealing, the racing itself.

Yeah, sure, those big names and some of the mad tracks of the time were sexy. But F1 in 2014 was bloody brilliant if you compare it to the last twenty years or so.

The racing itself is without doubt better than it has ever been in my time watching and covering the sport. I still look back on the late 90s with huge fondness, but F1 is in good form.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: January 06, 2015 12:34AM
Posted by: n00binio
Racing aside one should not forget that in the 60s, 70s and even 80s we lost way too many drivers. I'm happy to trade off a bit of on track action if the whole experience gets safer in return.

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: January 06, 2015 06:11AM
Ferrari2007 Wrote:
> Some fans need to take
> off the rose-tinted specs and realise it is not
> the 80s anymore.

But my DeLorean is telling me this is 1985 :( And my proper sunglasses went missing! :( :(

Seriously though, a bit of nostalgic fantasy beats Stiff Upper Lip Syndrome any day of the week IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2015 11:44PM by EC83.
Date: January 06, 2015 11:59AM
Posted by: Nickv
The reason we look back at the 90s as being great is that in many years, there were two drivers from two teams that battled it out. We had this kind of titan clash that everyone loved (usualy Schumacher vs someone else). You were in one camp or the other. And you bloody hated the other camp. There was temperament. But let's be honest, racing itself was only so-so compared what we have today. What we remember/love of the 90s is the atmosphere (titan clash, classic circuits, legendary names), not the racing.

Going back to more aero and stickier tires, as has been suggested, is only going to bring corner speeds up, which destroys any chance of overtaking. I do think some things could be changed. I'd like to see what a few races without DRS would do, for example (I'm not a fan). Also, we should lock up Hermann Tilke.
Date: January 06, 2015 07:33PM
Locking up Herman Tilke would serve no purpose, he works to a strict constrictive brief... And the next architect would only have the very same brief to work from.

Date: January 07, 2015 03:05PM
Posted by: Toki
Korea is out ;)

The Real Story of the Race was that the Renault's fell apart and the Ferrari's didn't.
Rosberg headed for the sliproad and retired, probably because of Nicotin starvation they have still not given him a helmet with a little hole in it.
Date: January 09, 2015 11:40PM
Posted by: madotter
New car launch dates so far:

29/01/15 - McLaren
30/01/15 - Ferrari
31/01/15 - Force India
Date: January 11, 2015 07:37PM
Posted by: Laton
I hope the McLaren Honda is red and white.
Date: January 11, 2015 10:55PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy