The Official 2014 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix ***SPOILERS***

Posted by EC83 
J i m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Clearly it can't be Maldonaldo's fault though... I
> mean surely someone sabotaged his tyre pressures
> right? ;-)

Yep - they deliberately gave him fronts with extra-high pressure so he could use them to bounce cars out of the way. :P

What's with all of these websites and stuff marvelling at the "miracle" of Esteban's escape from the "horror crash"?

Have they never seen a car flip before? It looked reasonably harmless to me. The Belgian startline crash from 2012 was more dangerous than that.
It was.

I'm struggling to remember when was the last time a car barrel-rolled during a race. Was it Albers at Imola in 2006?

Yeah, they've got pretty sheltered lives relatively speaking if they think that was a horror crash. Verstappen at Interlagos '94 was far worse for one.

Verstappen hitting Brundle (literally) was horrible. How his head stays on his shoulders I have absolutely no idea.

Obviously the last flip was Webber. Heidfeld was barrel-rolled at Indy in 2006 I think it was.
yeap it was at indy. in 2007 i think a red bull driver flipped into the first corner at hungaroring during the opening lap
Christian Klien barrel-rolled in Hungary 2006 I believe.

Always worrying to see an accident like that, especially one so evidently avoidable.

What was impressive was the way the roll hoop stood up to the accident. I remember Diniz's failing massively at the Nurburgring back in 99, when he was barrelled-rolled. He was lucky to walk away from that one.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Kubica's 2007 horror crash probably trumps them all. Gutierrez comparatively had a nice walk out in the park.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Kubica's wasn't a barrel-roll, it was a @#$%& explosion. I still can't believe he came out of that one still breathing. I think the last time my heart was beating like that was Monza 2000 (sadly a marshal did die, but that was unexpected - it was de la Rosa landing on Coulthard and Barrichello's car which got my heart going there, especially as the cameras didn't pick up de la Rosa after the accident).

Prior to that it was Burti at Spa in 1999 - for some reason Kovalainen's identical accident at Barcelona didn't have me too worried.
There's just been a barrel roll collision in the WRS at Monza as well, in some ways reminiscent of the Minardis in 1993.

small correction: burti and irvine crashed in 2001 at spa

and I think klien rolled over in 2005. Hungary 2006 was wet and there was nothing spectacular into the first corner
Ahh yes, the Irvine - Burti incident at Blachimont - Spa. I still wince at that impact and still feel the dread whilst waiting for signs of life. I think Irvine shat himself as well as if I recall he helped the marshalls pull the tyre-wall off the top of Burti's Prost.

Yes, when Irvine looked back and could see the rear wing only, he sprinted up to help if he could. Irvine strikes me as a complete arse now, but he clearly has some heart.
If Irvine is a complete arse, that'd probably make Piquet an utter cesspit. ;-)

piquet jr. or senior?? or both :P
Well.. I was referring to senior, but I guess little junior probably qualifies as well.

Luciano Burti, now that's a man who didn't have small accidents.

He had the big one when he went airborne after hitting Schumi's Ferrari off the start, just a month or so before his accident at Spa.

If I remember rightly he actually cracked his helmet in the off at Blanchimot.

Does anyone else remember his off in Monaco, earlier that year when he actually crashed down into the Set Devote slip road?

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
yes, he had brake failure.
Ferrari2007 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Luciano Burti, now that's a man who didn't have
> small accidents.
> Does anyone else remember his off in Monaco,
> earlier that year when he actually crashed down
> into the Set Devote slip road?

[www.youtube.com]

I already forgot that! :-o

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Yeah, that Ste Devote was a weird one, and those were lucky marshalls.

But yeah, extremely accident prone was Burti, and more often than not spectaculary big accidents they were too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy