The 2014 Formula One Season

Posted by madotter 
Re: The 2014 Formula One Season
Date: December 12, 2013 12:14AM
Posted by: gav
EC83
It surprises me sometimes how many genuinely funny jokes go unappreciated here.

I refuse to write a post which contains little more than "LOL" on a forum. ;)
Date: December 12, 2013 12:26AM
Posted by: EC83
Haha, that's spooky Gav - I'm busy watching the classic F1 on SKY at the moment so hadn't checked here for a few minutes, and when I went to refresh the page I just got a feeling you'd responded to my post - then refreshed and there it was. :P

Fair enough! (Or should that be hairy muff?)

Date: December 12, 2013 02:06AM
Posted by: salvasirignano
EC83 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> salvasirignano Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Oh dear, that joke didn't go down too well!
>
> It surprises me sometimes how many genuinely funny
> jokes go unappreciated here.
> It was awesome Salva :) So was your response! :D

Thanks for your praise, what a kind fellatio you are! ;)
Date: December 12, 2013 03:23PM
Perez has been confirmed at Force India... and the BBC are more concerned at the loss of di Resta. :rolleyes:
Date: December 12, 2013 03:39PM
Posted by: J i m
Was it an article by Andrew Benson perchance?

Meh, this was widely expected the moment McLaren opted for Magussen.

Date: December 12, 2013 04:19PM
Posted by: Nickv
It indeed was. The word Perez is mentioned five times in the article. Di Resta 12. Mallya isn't mentioned at all. To illustrate how he turned a Perez article into a Di Resta article, this is the last sentence: 'Di Resta's manager Richard Goddard was unavailable for comment.'

I've always felt the BBC are a little up the bum of some drivers, purely because they're British, and overrate them (though, I guess every broadcaster does that to some extent to their national drivers). The achievement of Chilton of finishing all his races was mentioned every other sentence in the commentary. In 12 of the 19 races he finished, he was last. That, however, wasn't mentioned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2013 04:20PM by Nickv.
Date: December 12, 2013 04:55PM
Posted by: Nickv
[www.gpupdate.net]

Vettel commented: "Thanks for the heads up, I'll reserve some space on the mantlepiece".
Date: December 12, 2013 05:23PM
Nickv Wrote:
> I've always felt the BBC are a little up the bum
> of some drivers, purely because they're British,
> and overrate them (though, I guess every
> broadcaster does that to some extent to their
> national drivers). The achievement of Chilton of
> finishing all his races was mentioned every other
> sentence in the commentary. In 12 of the 19 races
> he finished, he was last. That, however, wasn't
> mentioned.

I kind of know what you mean, and unfortunately it rubs of onto the casual fan too. Anyone who knows me is aware that I like F1 and so automatically assume that I must be the #1 fan of Lewis Hamilton when in actual fact I'm not a fan of his at all and I root for Rosberg in the intra team battle at Merc.

It amuses and annoys me in equal measure how some people let a drivers nationality dictate how they rate them. I bet before the 2013 started that relatively few Brits even knew who Max Chillton is and yet they decided that he must be brilliant because "He's British init"

Misguided patriotism even influences how some people judge an racing incident. I once got accused of being "a traitor" and told that I should "bugger off to Spain" because I refused to aportion blame to Alonso during a collision he had with Hamilton at Bahrain in 2008. The funny thing is.. the guy who said this to me isn't even English but a immigrant from Babados!

Another person I know claims to have gone to school with Lewis Hamilton's grandfather, and likes to think this association is significant. It also seems to make them think that Hamilton is impecchable and can do no wrong.

There's nothing drastically wrong with being a little bit patriotic and being proud if compatriot does well but it does seem that many people confuse it for sense and logic.

Date: December 12, 2013 06:12PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
Excellent work by Force India; they not only have one of the strongest lineups on the grid, but with the addition of Perez there's some Telmex money going into the team.

Sutil and Di Resta were a pretty average lineup. They're okay if you want consistent 7th/8th places, but if you harbour aspirations of becoming upwardly mobile then they fall short in terms of quality.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: December 12, 2013 06:46PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
I have to say I agree with both Jim and Jake completely.

I'm in a similar bracket as you, Jim, in the sense that most casual fans I know have always assumed I must be a huge Hamilton fan, or a fan of the British drivers and teams in general.

I've been greeted with disgust on occasion when I've admitted that I've got a soft spot for Red Bull and Seb. Obviously with what I'm doing, it's best to try and be as neutral as possible. Which I think I actually do fairly well.

But yea, I hate that whole patriotic thing.

Jake, you are spot on too. Force India have managed to move Sutil and di Resta on, and bring in two significantly better drivers. They've easily got the best line-up of the midfield teams. Arguably even better than Lotus and McLaren as well.

Oh, and from what I've heard, Perez is bringing around 15 million quid with him.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2013 06:58PM by Ferrari2007.
Date: December 12, 2013 07:33PM
Posted by: salvasirignano
Ferrari2007 Wrote:

>
> Jake, you are spot on too. Force India have
> managed to move Sutil and di Resta on, and bring
> in two significantly better drivers. They've
> easily got the best line-up of the midfield teams.
> Arguably even better than Lotus and McLaren as
> well.
>

I'm not sure I agree with this. I think that Perez is at best at the same level as Sutil and Di Resta.
I think Hulkenburg is a decent driver, but a bit over-hyped. People say now that he is a potential world champion, and that Di Resta doesn't deserve an F1 seat. Yet when they were together at Force India the qualifying head-to-head was only 10-9 to Hulkenburg, and 63-46 in points. Not exactly a trouncing...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2013 07:33PM by salvasirignano.
Date: December 13, 2013 07:57PM
Posted by: airefresco
Sutil confirmed at Sauber, Personally I think it´s a waste, especially if they end up dropping Guttierrez . In other news Bottas has requested number 77, #BO77AS.
Date: December 13, 2013 09:04PM
Seeing lots of people criticising Sauber for going with Sutil, but at one point it was looking like Gutierrez and Sirotkin... that would have been a waste.

Personally, as soon as Perez appeared to be under threat for his McLaren seat, I thought Sauber would have jumped on him... perhaps they were rather put off by his horrible run of form once he'd been confirmed as Hamilton's successor. Sutil, while still having the odd ??? moment, is a relatively safe pair of hands, so I think they're a good fit for a team which potentially needs to the money a solid points finish could bring. He's no Hulkenberg though. I can only see Bianchi as an option which could have been a bit braver and more exciting.

It'll be interesting to see which of Force India and Sauber show stronger next season. Both have proved since the 2009 rule changes that they can build solid cars which on the rare occasion can challenge for podiums. So long as Red Bull aren't running away at the start of the season, and ignoring a couple of daft rules, I'm really looking forward to 2014.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2013 09:05PM by gav.
Date: December 13, 2013 11:37PM
Posted by: smoglessbutton4
Agreed with Gav :)

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager
Date: December 13, 2013 11:40PM
Posted by: airefresco
gav Wrote:
> Seeing lots of people criticising Sauber for going
> with Sutil, but at one point it was looking like
> Gutierrez and Sirotkin... that would have been a
> waste.

I partly disagree with that. With Sutil you have no potential, you know exactly what you are getting. He´s reached his peak and this is good as he´s going to get, which is a decent midfield driver. Which I guess is your point.

With Gutierrez, he has improved as the year (and the car) progressed. It must of been tough for him this year with limited testing, a bad car at the start, ect, so I think on the scale of things he did OK, not outstanding, but OK. I think he should be given another year and should be judged on next year instead.

Sirotkin, might be the next Vettel, but he also might be no more than a rich kid midfield at best driver. He´s too young and inexperienced to be in F1 in my view. He needs a least a year of doing Friday free practises, before even being considered.
Date: December 14, 2013 02:11PM
Sutil's appointment at Sauber is entirely predictable and logical.

Firstly, he has a useful portfolio of personal sponsorship which instantly makes him an attractive proposition to any mid-field team. Secondly (and ignoring the nightclub glassing incident) he is a proven safe pair of hands. Which in light of what could have been a Sirotkin - Gutierrez line-up at the "strapped for cash" Sauber team is a much needed quality.

Date: December 17, 2013 12:47AM
Posted by: Frantic
According to some rumours and webs until now these are the number choices for next season so far

Sebastian Vettel -- expected to choose #1 altough he can choose not to do it
Nico Rosberg -- #6 as first option, #5 and #9 as options
Fernando Alonso -- rumoured to have picked #14, but is also being said he picked #8 or #5
Kimi Raikkonen -- according to some media he picked #7,other media says he picked #27
Pastor Maldonado -- #3 as first option
Jenson Button -- some say he picked #12
Felipe Massa -- #19 as first option
Valtteri Bottas -- #77 as first option, #17 and #11 as options
Sergio Pérez -- #11 as first option
Jean Eric Vergne -- #27 at first option (he couldnt use it if Kimi chooses #27), #25 as second option as far as i know
Jules Bianchi -- #7, #27 and #77 (all three would be already picked if Kimi chooses #7)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2013 12:48AM by Frantic.
Date: December 17, 2013 01:31AM
Posted by: Mullet345
#1 is a reserved number for the driver's champion. So that means Vettel can use that one, or use the number he chooses for himself. When was the last time in F1 that the champion didn't use the #1?

Date: December 17, 2013 06:54AM
Posted by: EC83
Mullet345 Wrote:
> #1 is a reserved number for the driver's champion.
> So that means Vettel can use that one, or use the
> number he chooses for himself. When was the last
> time in F1 that the champion didn't use the #1?

Jackie Stewart in 1970, I think - he seemed to carry #5 in some races that year and #1 in others.
There wasn't a regular numbering system in F1 till early 1973, but Jackie in 1972 and Emerson Fittipaldi in 1973 seemed to always carry #1 anyway. There wasn't a defending Champion in 1971 of course - maybe it was after that season the decision was made that the Champ should always carry #1.

Also, the last non-Champ to carry #1 was Ronnie Peterson in 1974 - one thing that's not likely to happen again anytime soon.

Frantic Wrote:
> Sebastian Vettel -- expected to choose #1 altough
> he can choose not to do it

If he's not #1 I'd like him to pick #53 - watching him out of position passing slower cars is a bit like watching a Herbie movie. It's the kind of thing I wouldn't put past Seb to actually do as well.

Frantic Wrote:
> Kimi Raikkonen -- according to some media he
> picked #7,other media says he picked #27

:D

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2013 07:30AM by EC83.
Date: December 17, 2013 07:55AM
The last champ not to carry was Alain Prost. Next. ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2013 07:55AM by gav.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy