The 2014 Formula One Season

Posted by madotter 
Re: The 2014 Formula One Season
Date: December 10, 2013 02:53AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
I'm pretty shocked at the double points rule, really goes against the spirit and traditions of F1 and is something that I really don't like.

Also not a fan of permanent numbers, really liked the structures of numbers going to teams, either in the WCC format or the old format.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: December 10, 2013 03:28AM
Posted by: Carlitox
SchueyFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm pretty shocked at the double points rule,
> really goes against the spirit and traditions of
> F1 and is something that I really don't like.

It goes against the spirit of the sport! Imagine a football match where if the 1st half is dull enough, then the goals in the 2nd half are worth two points. Or in a tennis match, the last set having double points. It's plain idiotic and seriously damaging for the image of the sport. Never before have I been so furious at the FIA.

> Also not a fan of permanent numbers, really liked
> the structures of numbers going to teams, either
> in the WCC format or the old format.

That however, is a nice change. I liked the current format but to allow drivers to have a number will help new viewers to identify them. At least when I took up watching NASCAR, big clear numbers helped me recognise the guys.

In conclusion....

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Date: December 10, 2013 05:37AM
Posted by: EC83
I actually think both ideas are really good. The points change is something bold and innovative, and I think it'll work very nicely in practice.

The numbering change is awesome. Like Gav said recently, it adds some romance and character back into the sport, and it's a nice touch after the most recent one, which was characterless, clinical and frankly @#$%&.
It'll mean apart from anything else that #27 will be back(Well I say "will be" - it's hard to believe none of the drivers will choose it) probably along with others too. The only slight shame is there's no #0 mentioned - maybe that'll change if a driver specifically asks to race with it.

I want to see one thing happen now - Kimi getting #27. That would get me pretty excited. :D

Date: December 10, 2013 06:36AM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Thought I'd share my thoughts on the new rules for 2014 here with you guys, as you've all made some brilliant points.

[richlandf1.com]

I'd appreciate hearing what you guys think.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the numbers system, or the double points award.

For me, numbers should be allocated to teams, as the sport is actually principally a team sport.

And the double points for the season finale, well I'm actually astounded that it was passed by the F1 Strategy Group and Formula One Commission.

The general consensus is that everyone hates the idea. I wonder if that sort of backlash will have any effect on the FIA.

The last time I remember people being as upset as this, it was the first time we saw the interim 09 BMW... Many tears were shed that day.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: December 10, 2013 07:08AM
Posted by: smoglessbutton4
If the medals system prompted enough backlash for the FIA to change it... (fingers crossed) ;)

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager
Date: December 10, 2013 07:50AM
Posted by: gav
I'm not a fan of the double points rule - as someone said on Twitter yesterday, 5 of the last 8 championships (I think it was) have been decided in the last race. What's the point? I'd almost go the other way and award double points for the marquee event - Monaco, as that's a proper challenge for the drivers (just put the apex barriers back in).
Date: December 10, 2013 09:55AM
Posted by: Stoopid
Nice piece Dan, as always :)

5 x WCC - S5, S6, S7, S8, S10 | 4 x WDC - S5 Nick van der Voort ; S6, S7, S8 Ed Greenhalgh | 2 x WTC - S6 Stuart Ingers; S8 Andrei Sevastian
Date: December 10, 2013 12:01PM
Posted by: Carlitox
Great article Dan. You're getting me into Richland, I'm checking it out more and more frequently ;-)

Ferrari2007 Wrote:
> The last time I remember people being as upset as
> this, it was the first time we saw the interim 09
> BMW... Many tears were shed that day.

Oh yeah, how I had forgotten. It's awesome how we have gotten used to the cars isn't it? I always compared the '09 change with the '83 change (ground effect ban, therefore ridiculously small sidepods) and how we got used to both.

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Date: December 10, 2013 12:47PM
Posted by: J i m
Carlitox Wrote:

> Oh yeah, how I had forgotten. It's awesome how we
> have gotten used to the cars isn't it? I always
> compared the '09 change with the '83 change
> (ground effect ban, therefore ridiculously small
> sidepods) and how we got used to both.

And doubtlessly we'll all get used to everything again. (H)

--

The Budget Cap.

They've been talking about this for years. Have the FIA finally found someone with the balls to tell the teams to stfu, this is how it's going to be?

Double points at season finale.

Wow.. this has (and hilariously) seen just about the most unpopular response to anything F1 related ever. I think it's a massive (and typical) internetz OMFGZ over reaction to be honest. Sure, I don't think double points are needed and implementing it now the way they are doesn't seem to make the greatest deal of sense either, it especially has potential to cause upsets in the mid-field squabbles.

If they really want to create a double points race, then really they ought to award it to a more prestigious venue and then tweak the race to increase the challenge and significance. Like for example (as Gav said) increase the race length at Monaco and replace a few of the apex barriers, Singapore in my eyes would also be a worthy venue.

But the actual race itself needs to have something different or extra to rest of the season. For example in WEC double points are awarded at Le Mans, due to the fact that the circuit is like no other in the series, it's history and prestige and the small fact that it's also four times the length of the other races.

Permanent driver specific numbers.

Okay again on the face of it, needless gimmicky. But again not exactly the end of the world championship as we know it. If they really want to make it easier to differentiate between drivers then they should perhaps dictate what drivers can do on helmet livery and propose that a driver sticks with same basic concept through out their career (with the odd special edition permitted).

At the moment.. Vettel changes his design almost every race (or every time he wins, which at the moment is the same thing). And because of this pretty much none of his designs are the least bit memorable. I'd like a helmet design to become part of a drivers signature much in the way it is intended these numbers do.

For example;
The London Rowing Club oars worn by the Hill dynasty
Ayrton Senna's vivid Brazilian national colors design
Nigel Mansell's union flag design
Jenson Button's similar union flag concept
Mark Webber
Alex Wurz
Allan McNish
Jacques Villeneuve
Martin Brundle
Johnny Herbert
James Hunt

All of these have (save for the odd refinement) have stayed true to the original design concept and as a result were instantly recognizable, you don't have that today when Red Bull put practically identikit designs on their drivers, or a driver changes his design every other race. This year... you had to faff about remembering which Mercedes driver wore the slightly lighter shade of yellow.

And another thing.. if a driver is supposed to have a number which remains theirs throughout their whole F1 career, what happens when a driver takes a sabbatical (enforced or not)? Many drivers when they find themselves without a drive for the next season are ever likely to compete in a Grand Prix again.. but they'd still be chasing opportunities of a comeback. Do they keep their number until they "formally" retire? Nigel Mansell still hasn't formally announced his retirement after ditching McLaren.. so he's still #7 right? (or #5)

Date: December 10, 2013 12:49PM
Posted by: Adman1138
Not loving these changes.

Double points in the final race is very gimmicky especially with abu dabi being the final round. Also will countback be worth double? If caterham take 11th at the last race and Marussia had an 11th elsewhere do Caterhan get the advantage? If they want it to award double points at the end then double the race length, or run back to back races.

Not a fan of the driver number system, seems like a cynical marketing ploy to create more branded merchandise. Like others have said it would be better if the numbers were assigned to the teams rather than the drivers. I wonder if Seb will change his number each time he wins like he does with his helmet (when he isnt running no 1.

I do like the idea of a cost cap, although i imagine that policing it will be a problem. It will probably lead to some very dodgy supplier arrangements.
Date: December 10, 2013 01:25PM
smoglessbutton4 Wrote:
> If the medals system prompted enough backlash for
> the FIA to change it... (fingers crossed) ;)

Yeah, but the medals idea was alien to F1 altogether. These ones aren't.

Date: December 10, 2013 03:55PM
Posted by: alexf1man
Ferrari2007 Wrote:
> The last time I remember people being as upset as
> this, it was the first time we saw the interim 09
> BMW... Many tears were shed that day.

Here is that said 2009 interim car for comparison
Date: December 10, 2013 04:31PM
Posted by: Nickv
J i m Schreef:
> Double points at season finale.
>
> Wow.. this has (and hilariously) seen just about
> the most unpopular response to anything F1 related
> ever. I think it's a massive (and typical)
> internetz OMFGZ over reaction to be honest. Sure,
> I don't think double points are needed and
> implementing it now the way they are doesn't seem
> to make the greatest deal of sense either, it
> especially has potential to cause upsets in the
> mid-field squabbles.

If it doesn't make sense, isn't the uproar justified? Sure, it's your usual internet over the top reaction, but you're on the internet. What did you expect, a rational debate? Ha! :p

But really, it only 'cures' a sympthom rather than a problem. If the problem is one driver/team dominating, do something about that. In fact, I don't see a problem there at all. Sure, we all want to see the championship go down to the wire, but isn't there something postive about it when it doesn't? We want to see the best driver win, but when he does, we complain. The Vettel dominance is historical. I guess we'll appreciate it more in ten years time.

J i m Schreef:
> All of these have (save for the odd refinement)
> have stayed true to the original design concept
> and as a result were instantly recognizable, you
> don't have that today when Red Bull put
> practically identikit designs on their drivers, or
> a driver changes his design every other race. This
> year... you had to faff about remembering which
> Mercedes driver wore the slightly lighter shade of
> yellow.

This. I wouldn't be able to recognize probably 1/3 of this years grids helmets. They frankly aren't in the slightest bit recognizable. Loads of graphics, stripes and what not. Some drivers pop up at a race and say they have a special helmet design. Then I start to wonder what on Earth their normal design looks like. Meh.
Date: December 10, 2013 05:52PM
Posted by: Diax F1
Not sure whether this is a surprise or not, but Sebastian Vettel has criticised the 'absurd' double points rule - [www.bbc.co.uk]

Date: December 10, 2013 06:33PM
Posted by: Morbid
J i m Wrote:
> This
> year... you had to faff about remembering which
> Mercedes driver wore the slightly lighter shade of
> yellow.

T-cams used to be red and yellow, red for the first driver and yellow for the second (actual pecking order within the team not intended). I could see which driver it was, way before I could recognize the helmet. When they removed that, then helmets became the only way. That was a bad move.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: December 10, 2013 06:53PM
Posted by: smoglessbutton4
Diax F1 Wrote:
> Not sure whether this is a surprise or not, but
> Sebastian Vettel has criticised the 'absurd'
> double points rule -
> [www.bbc.co.uk]

And Seb continues to go up in my estimation

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager
Date: December 10, 2013 07:31PM
Posted by: salvasirignano
Diax F1 Wrote:
> Nickv Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Not too keen on the numbers either. Though on
> the
> > other hand, I'm very curious about who will
> choose
> > what. And who will be brave enough to choose
> 13.
> > Or 69.
>
> Kimi. Nuff said.

Or should that be 'Muff said.'? :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2013 07:32PM by salvasirignano.
Date: December 11, 2013 01:22AM
Date: December 11, 2013 02:36AM
Oh dear, that joke didn't go down too well!
I think I should call it quimts. :)
Date: December 12, 2013 12:09AM
salvasirignano Wrote:
> Oh dear, that joke didn't go down too well!

It surprises me sometimes how many genuinely funny jokes go unappreciated here.
It was awesome Salva :) So was your response! :D

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy