F1 may return to Austria

Posted by kedy89 
Re: F1 may return to Austria
Date: July 29, 2013 08:15PM
Posted by: flat tyre
I'm so glad to hear that Austria will be back! It'll be a welcome change from the flat, uninspiring modern circuits - I never thought I'd see an F1 car blasting through the alpine forests and mountain ranges again!

I wonder if they still plan on building the extension to the circuit that was discussed a few years ago? The one where they would use parts of the old Osteriech Ring (how in God's name do you even spell that, anyway)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2013 08:18PM by flat tyre.
Date: July 29, 2013 09:12PM
Posted by: chet
EC83 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My favourite qualifying lap was probably MS's Pole
> lap in 2003. Being down on Kimi at S1, then
> getting it spectacularly sideways at Turn 2 - and
> somehow managing to pull that time back during the
> remainder of the lap. I don't remember seeing a
> lap like that at any other track.

You know I don't like Michael but that is top of my list of qualifying laps. I remember it perfectly. The excitement of him being so far down at S1 on such a small track, then watching as the maestro worked his magic with less than a minute to find something.

Amazing, nothing but sensational and one which will go down to describe why, and how he was so great.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 30, 2013 02:04PM
Posted by: smoglessbutton4
Ecclestone says India is in doubt for next year...

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager
Date: July 31, 2013 07:56AM
Posted by: EC83
flat tyre écrivait:
> I wonder if they still plan on building the
> extension to the circuit that was discussed a few
> years ago? The one where they would use parts of
> the old Osteriech Ring (how in God's name do you
> even spell that, anyway)

The Osterreichring. You're pretty close.
Think they'll be using the exact same layout as the A1-Ring. I'm actually pleased about that as using parts of the Osterreichring wouldn't work. The Osterreichring layout was epic, and the A1-Ring layout ended up being great too, because it flowed. F1 in Austria has always been about high top speeds and flowing corners(OK, the corners at the A1-Ring are slow, but they're still oddly pretty rhythmic and all lead nicely onto the next straight so don't interrupt the flow of the track). Start adding extensions from the old track and you'd need horrible slow twisty corners to connect the two up... No, just nooo!

Date: July 31, 2013 07:46PM
Posted by: J i m
Yeah that hybrid wouldn't work, to me the A1 Ring is all about bonkers braking zones, chucking the car at the apex and living with at the corner exits.

Date: August 01, 2013 07:58PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
It looks like the Russian Grand Prix is in trouble now too.

[richlandf1.com]

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: August 01, 2013 08:01PM
Posted by: gav
At this rate Riems will be making a comeback.
Date: August 01, 2013 08:41PM
I'd prefer Clermont-Ferrand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2013 08:47PM by EC83.
Date: August 01, 2013 11:46PM
Dijon please ^^

GPGSL -
Date: August 02, 2013 09:15AM
Dijon is a track which played host to probably the most famous of racing laps of all time, but I never actually enjoyed driving at the place in sims (GPL). It's all off-camber, low grip, requiring pin-point accuracy to get a good lap time. It should have been much faster than it was.

Clermont-Ferrand was just a hill-climb/rally hybrid circuit around a mountain. Some good corners, but hardly a grand prix track.

Reims was just the A1-Ring without the scenery and fun.

In truth, Rouen was the only good French GP circuit. ;) And much of that has been ripped up now. :(
Date: August 02, 2013 11:19AM
Hey, why limit this to French tracks - how about Estoril? ;)

GPGSL -
Date: August 02, 2013 01:21PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Surely Portimao would make more sense than Estoril.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: August 02, 2013 02:09PM
I've always thought Estoril is poor. I never looked forward to the Portuguese GP and could only imagine how bad the cars would be there now. The hairpin would invite more overtaking, but I think with DRS and these Pirelli tyres, I'd prefer the old, slightly mad layout.

I've got a loose theory that hot GPs with their thinner air have always made for a worse GP than one at a cool track. That maybe more to do with the tyres being unable to get full heat into them quickly enough and as a result the cars slide around more. If there's some truth in that and it's not just me being barmy, then perhaps the heat is the reason I've seldom enjoyed the racing at Estoril (and Barcelona, the Hungaroring and most of the modern circuits) and why Spa and Silverstone often produce crackers.
Date: August 02, 2013 05:01PM
On the subject of hot tracks with thin air - how about Mexico City? A unique challenge for both cars and drivers. @#$%& yeah.

Date: August 02, 2013 05:27PM
Except to secure a return of F1 there, they would have to largely castrate the place.

Date: August 02, 2013 05:56PM
Oh yeah. Which is a shame.

Date: August 02, 2013 10:21PM
Posted by: flat tyre
I never saw a race at Mexico City, but I reckon that they could keep the layout the same apart from the last corner (and maybe the first). But, now that Tilke and co. have recognized how popular esses are (Silverstone, Suzuka, COTA) I could see most of the corners at Mexico staying more or less the same, just as long as they could get any new run-offs sorted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: August 03, 2013 10:50AM
Well even between 91 and 92 the last corner was modified. It used to be banked. Senna had a large accident there during practice and ended up upside down.

[youtu.be]

They flattened the curve ready for 1992. But the track in general remained so bumpy, and Senna had another painful accident in practice.

[youtu.be]

I loved Mexico, but it's a bonkers track, good for bonkers drivers.

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2013 03:51PM by J i m.
Date: August 03, 2013 01:13PM
Posted by: Morbid
J i m Wrote:
> it's a bonkers track, good for
> bonkers drivers.

Amen!

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: August 03, 2013 05:45PM
Which is exactly why it should make a comeback!
It'd be a shame if they had to scrap the Peraltada though, that was one of the most epic corners in F1 and key to the flow of the circuit. Along with the sequence of bends before it, it made one of the most exciting ends of a lap ever IMO.
Also the bumpiness of the track was a unique feature even if it annoyed the drivers.
Basically its un-Tilkedromeness is the very thing that would make it perfect in today's F1.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy