2013 Malaysian GP ***HERE BE SPOILERS***

Posted by flat tyre 
2013 Malaysian GP ***HERE BE SPOILERS***
Date: March 21, 2013 10:38PM
Posted by: flat tyre

It's gonna be a hot and steamy one!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Re: 2013 Malaysian GP ***HERE BE SPOILERS***
Date: March 21, 2013 10:58PM
Posted by: chet
All I hope is for is improvement by Williams and Mclaren.

Mclarens development seems aggressive already, bringing planned and aggressive updates? I am liking this.

As for Williams, I hope the 'step-back' gives them the step forward they need!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 21, 2013 11:12PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
I just hope we don't see the gazebos come out and we get through the weekend without red flags or delays.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: March 22, 2013 01:36AM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
just a short question guys, I decided to post it in here since it is actually realated to the malaysian grand prix....or rather to its history.

this is a quote from murray's memories from malaysian grand prixs:

Or did he? A few hours after the race, both Ferraris were disqualified for illegal bodywork. Technical director Ross Brawn even held up the offending part to journalists and explained why, although Ferrari had not intended to, it broke the rules.

so, how could the ferrari get their results reinstated when their own technical director admitted their car had broken the rules ?
Date: March 22, 2013 06:18AM
Posted by: J i m
I'd have to read up on it, because it's quite a while ago now, but if memory serves correctly the regulation itself was flimsily and very definiitive and it wasn't applied ever so well either. So when challenged.. It didn't hold up well. Plus the polictical influence of Ferrari was amd is always huge. And remember at the time there wasn't the level of resentment and boredom directed at Ferrari as there was to be a few years later. Indeed they hadn't won a championship for 21 years and many were delighted to see them take the fight to McLaren and Williams who had dominated the past 15 years between year. Both the FIA and paddock and following in general felt it was a good thing for Ferrari to win.

Date: March 22, 2013 07:51AM
Posted by: gav
All I remember was that it was the barge boards being too big and I vaguely remember that Ferrari's argument was based around them proving that it didn't give them a performance advantage and that they would be modified for Suzuka.

Of course they'd have been thrown out now, but I guess it was in most people's interest that they were reinstated, as with the disqualification, Hakkinen was confirmed champion.
Date: March 22, 2013 11:58AM
Posted by: vesuvius
the barge board thing was indeed quite strange...it was clear Ferrari had broken rules but somehow they managed to talk them out of it by telling stories that the bargeboards were measured in wrong way plaaplaaplaa.

"After mulling it over, the appeal process found in favour of Ferrari, and all points and positions from the Malaysian Grand Prix were reinstated. The FIA insisted that their measuring system was at fault, and admitted that the regulation was not clear enough. The FIA Technical Delegate admitted his mistake, and there was great debate amongst the drivers and teams."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2013 12:00PM by vesuvius.
Date: March 22, 2013 03:58PM
Posted by: marcl
The 2007 race was on the other night annd what a close race that was with Lewis, Kimi and Massa. That race would have been ruined by DRS.

I am getting so fed up with these tyres now, just give them tyres that dont fall apart its stupid.

It does not spice up the racing at all as when the tyres go the driver gets passed with no problem. Its a fake way of getting people to pass.
Date: March 22, 2013 07:21PM
I still argue that DRS isn't needed with these tyres, but I desperately want the tyres to stay.

Yes, it doesn't let the driver push, but then you've had drivers preserving the car dating back to the times before national colours... really the Goodyear and Michelin-less Bridgetstone era was the only time we've had cars so reliable you didn't have to conserve the car and tyres that were so consistent... it also happened the be the least exiting races that F1 has ever produced, despite the closeness of the racing for most of that time.
Date: March 22, 2013 10:34PM
Posted by: flat tyre
Just out of interest, Marc - what did you think of the 2010 Canadian GP? The one with Bridgestones that wore out very quickly. People used that race as an example of what they wanted the Pirellis to be like.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: March 23, 2013 09:19AM
Posted by: chet
race..

Kimi v's Lewis v's Alonso.

I LOVE that Kimi has a competitive car, it has added SO much.

Also, only Q1, but once again Sutil... The guy is a role model for people taking their chances, what a driver!

Hulk's decision to move to Sauber, though looked good last year is looking rather unfortunate now, and early days but Ferrari must be considering both him, and Bianchi for that drive? Bianchi another guy who so far has been awesome.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 23, 2013 03:00PM
Posted by: jbnd05
Kimi was so rude to Lee in his pre-qualy interview, it was ridiculous. I'm not sure why he has such a following.

Date: March 23, 2013 03:58PM
Yeah, he was clearly on his period. :(

chet
Bianchi another guy who so far has been awesome

He was 1.6 seconds off the ultimate pace in Q1. Unreal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2013 03:58PM by gav.
Date: March 23, 2013 05:20PM
Posted by: Mullet345
Anyone noticed the new sponsor on the sides of the Mercedes cars? Is this a one-off sponsorship change?

Date: March 23, 2013 07:07PM
Posted by: jbnd05
It's just a Petronas sub-brand.

Date: March 23, 2013 09:26PM
Posted by: J i m
There are suggestions that a Williams could and might bolt on a 2012 spec exhaust adapted from the FW34, whilst they struggle with the coanda style effect which is beginning to be the area most pointed to as the reason for their current poor form.

In some ways this could make a great deal of sense since several teams struggled to get their coandas working effectively last year and often ended up not racing them, I suspect that across the next few weekends, Fridays for Williams will involve back to back testing of at least two different concepts each weekend, maybe more.

Though it does call into question their off season tactics this year. Was the late launch and hence limited testing of the FW35 really the best choice considering the risks of having big teething trouble with the coanda? And if this was the major upgrade to the car across the winter would it not have been a better idea to have versions ready to test on the FW34 during free practice at the end of 2012 to give them a much better chance of getting it race ready in time for this year?

They've dropped the ball on this rather badly I suspect.

Date: March 24, 2013 09:06AM
Posted by: Muks_C
good start but damn it 'Nando, damaged wing!

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: March 24, 2013 09:06AM
NOOOOOOOO! :(

Date: March 24, 2013 09:08AM
just gifted an easy 1-2 to Red Bull, surely?

fundamental cock-up there not to change the wing. yes it would have been too early for dry tyres at the same stop but you've got to be in the race at least. even a few points today could prove crucial at the end of the season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2013 09:15AM by Muks_C.
Date: March 24, 2013 09:19AM
Lewis stopped at McLaren's garage, haha!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy