Maria de Villota injured

Posted by Anonymous User 
Maria de Villota injured
Date: July 03, 2012 12:06PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Some sort of crash into a loading lorry in testing?

[www.mirror.co.uk]
[www.bbc.co.uk]
[en.espnf1.com]

Different reports suggesting different things from "injured" to "fighting for her life".

Hope it's not as serious as some are making out!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2012 12:07PM by loque.
Re: Maria de Villota injured
Date: July 03, 2012 12:35PM
Posted by: truecrysis
Its a really strange crash, with reports saying she "suddenly accelerated" into the side of the lorrys loading ramp. Really bizarre...

I do hope she's ok however, and that these reports of her "fighting for her life" arent true

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
Date: July 03, 2012 01:43PM
Posted by: Frantic
found an image, im posting the link because it could be a little bit shocking Clicky

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2012 01:44PM by Frantic.
Date: July 03, 2012 02:38PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
truecrysis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Its a really strange crash, with reports saying
> she "suddenly accelerated" into the side of the
> lorrys loading ramp. Really bizarre...
>
> I do hope she's ok however, and that these reports
> of her "fighting for her life" arent true

Sounds a lot like the anti-stall kicked in, and being a new driver to the car this would have caught her out.

Her helmet struck the towbar of the truck, and this would be cause for concern.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: July 03, 2012 03:17PM
Posted by: Bruce D
Incident 2k9 Wrote:
> Sounds a lot like the anti-stall kicked in, and
> being a new driver to the car this would have
> caught her out.
>

I think that's the most logical reason. On the one site they say the team think she may have slipped the clutch but she should had a fast enough reaction to stop the car. This sounds like the car was completely out of her control, a system failure or some sort of program error.
Date: July 03, 2012 03:23PM
Posted by: alonso0506
well i hope she recovers from that cause that picture does look quite horrible tbh.

get well soon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"And thats the bottom line cause Alonso0506 said so"
Date: July 03, 2012 05:04PM
Posted by: J i m
Nasty accident with a potentially horrible outcome.

I can't for one second imagine it was driver error, it must have been a technical glitch. But I imagine they'll now think more about where and how they park up before pitting.. I.e not too close to the trucks.

Date: July 03, 2012 05:46PM
Posted by: marcl
Sounds like she will be ok, well at least be alive. They are still carrying out checks on her.
Date: July 03, 2012 08:52PM
Posted by: chet
Strange accident, glad she is relatively ok! I am interested to know what happened.

Just to confirm, straight line tests are limited to below 100mph (dont know exact number) right ???

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 03, 2012 09:15PM
Posted by: J i m
I don't know, but it bears little relevance to the accident.

Date: July 03, 2012 09:52PM
Posted by: gav
I gave up listening that BBC Cambridge guy, Chris Mann, when he claimed she'd been doing 200mph just beforehand. As with Chet, I believe they're limited to a certain speed in straight-line tests, they certainly wouldn't have been running at speed in their first run, presumably and installation run of sorts, and modern F1 cars can barely reach 200mph in Monza spec anyway, let alone with the package they're likely to have been testing.

He really needs to STFU.
Date: July 04, 2012 05:11PM
Posted by: flat tyre
Latest I've heard is that she's lost her right eye and in an artificial coma :(

What makes me angry is how many people are making sick jokes out of this, even people I know that I wouldn't expect it from. And, on the official F1 website, they placed an interview about the Williams team's hopes at Silverstone as the headline, while Maria's crash was further down the list of news...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: July 04, 2012 05:20PM
Posted by: Atticus.
chet Wrote:
> Strange accident, glad she is relatively ok! I am
> interested to know what happened.
>
> Just to confirm, straight line tests are limited
> to below 100mph (dont know exact number) right ???

I don't know but it has no relevance.

What actually happened gets me think it was kind of a freak accident.

She was slowing down ahead of the pit tent, just like one slows down before his pits during a GP before the car gets rolled back to the garage. But in the last second before the car was supposed to stop it suddenly accelerated right into the truck in which the car was brought there. The ramp of the truck hit de Villota in the head.

I'm curious as well what could have caused the sudden acceleration.
Date: July 04, 2012 05:39PM
Posted by: chet
flat tyre Wrote:
> Latest I've heard is that she's lost her right eye
> and in an artificial coma :(
>
> What makes me angry is how many people are making
> sick jokes out of this, even people I know that I
> wouldn't expect it from. And, on the official F1
> website, they placed an interview about the
> Williams team's hopes at Silverstone as the
> headline, while Maria's crash was further down the
> list of news...

You'll never stop getting jokes about any incidents. I remember having jokes sent to my phone literally seconds after the news of the tsunami in Japan :s!

Really sad news about the eye, but I guess she is alive so in that respect we should be grateful!

Is it an argument for further research into canopies? This accident, and the one Massa suffered were visor related, yet are they not bullet proof already? I wonder how much work can really be done on a visor before you have to say, it's much simpler and overall maybe more safer to consider a canopy given the variety of accidents that can cope with rather than a visor change which will only really help with visor impacts.

Either way, clearly a freak accident. I really hope the team get to the bottom of it though.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 04, 2012 06:06PM
Posted by: Frantic
effectively she has lost his eye and also had a skull fracture... this also shows how lucky is Massa to be driving at this moment.

the problem with canopies is how many time would take the driver to get out of the car (or how long would it take to the marshalls to get the driver out). I think i heard you should be capable of getting out in 5 seconds or something like that. anyway i dont think canopies will be introduced, at least not in a near future. i think this accident will make increase the safety in the tests, a thing that isnt even near to a GP weekend standards.

also it makes us remember that the risk can be reduced to minimum but never be eliminated

Date: July 04, 2012 06:14PM
Posted by: danm
Canopies and F1 will never go. Like above, with the intensity of crashes in F1 we see, one mangled canopy that gets jammed from debris is much more likely to stop a driver getting out and create more danger.

There's the whole issue of canopies being launch ramps/sudden deflectors for (possibly) worse crashes if someone goes flying over one too.

I'd dread to think the sort of crash that would happen if the canopy itself separated from the car by a smaller team not fitting/manufacturing them properly. A wheel might miss a head narrowly today, but a larger canopy is more likely to be hit.. Sure, it may protect more of the surrounding area than now, but if THAT failed and slipped off at speed during a crash, it'd be like a guillotine. Much worse!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2012 06:16PM by danm.
Date: July 04, 2012 07:13PM
Posted by: danm
Oh Lord! Terrible news! :(

[www.marussiaf1team.com]

The team has issued the following Medical Update on Maria De Villota at 16.00hrs BST today, 4 July

PRESS RELEASE

A MEDICAL UPDATE ON MARIA DE VILLOTA

Marussia Technical Centre, Banbury, UK
04 July 2012, 16.00hrs
Further to the accident at Duxford Airfield yesterday involving the Marussia F1 Team Test Driver, Maria De Villota, the Team can now provide a further update on Maria’s medical condition.

Subsequent to yesterday’s official statements from the Marussia F1 Team, the surgical team at Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge embarked on a lengthy procedure to address the serious head and facial injuries sustained by Maria in the accident. The operation began yesterday afternoon and she was in theatre until this morning. Maria remains in a critical but stable condition.

John Booth, Team Principal of the Marussia F1 Team, with the consent and support of Maria’s family, would like to give the following update, which provides as much detail as is possible at this time:

“Maria emerged from theatre at Addenbrooke’s Hospital this morning after a lengthy operation to address the serious head and facial injuries she received in the accident at Duxford Airfield yesterday.

“We are grateful for the medical attention that Maria has been receiving and her family would like to thank the Neurological and Plastics surgical teams. However it is with great sadness that I must report that, due to the injuries she sustained, Maria has lost her right eye.

“Maria’s care and the wellbeing of her family remain our priority at this time. Her family are at the hospital and we are doing everything possible to support them.

“We ask for everyone’s patience and understanding with regard to updates on Maria’s condition. We will provide further information when it is appropriate to do so and with consideration for her family.

“In the meantime, we would all like to take this opportunity to praise the emergency services at Duxford Airfield, who were on stand-by yesterday, as is usual procedure for a Formula One test.

“With regard to the accident, we have embarked on a very comprehensive analysis of what happened and this work continues for the moment.

“Finally, we have been overwhelmed by messages of support for Maria, her family and the Team and we would like to express our sincere gratitude for those.”

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: July 04, 2012 09:32PM
Posted by: Rod_vs
Terrible...

One Racing driver and team manager
GPGSL-3: champion in 2007/2013/2014!
GPGSL-4: testdrivers champion in Season 11!
Date: July 04, 2012 09:45PM
Posted by: Xero
Very sad news! Such a shame, especially under the circumstances of the accident! I hope she recovers well and continues to race in some form.
Date: July 04, 2012 10:39PM
Posted by: EC83
Tragic. I wanted to see her progress to a race seat. My heart goes out to her.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy