2010 World Cup South Africa

Posted by Guimengo 
Re: 2010 World Cup South Africa
Date: June 24, 2010 10:28PM
Posted by: loren
US will have to get past Ghana first, they might trouble the US defense with pace. That top quarter will be interesting, and it means we're guaranteed a suprise semifinalist. I like the way the knockout rounds are shaping up, most of very the negative teams have been eliminated. Laughing at Italy, they've finished below New Zealand in probably the easiest group.
Date: June 25, 2010 01:49AM
Posted by: Slash
i don't think Lippi is the guilty one, we saw how Italy was eating Slovakia with 15 mins to go, they even scored 3 goals in like 10 mins...

i think Italy's second goal was legit.

so what we saw today was the italians asleep, they only reacted when they saw with realism that they where leaving, footbal is a state of moods, the players deliver when they had the will, unfurtunately it took them 2 matches and 78 mins to realize they had the wrong one
Date: June 25, 2010 02:29AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Italy didn't have its best players but they're a stagnant team. 2006 was a fluke, the whole world except for stubborn Italians know that. I could easily see Santon, Balotelli, and Cassano in that team.

Their disallowed goal was legitimate, yes, even more sweet since De Rossi dove for the penalty which gave them the draw the other game. I laughed and rejoiced as I watched the Italians complain about the Slovakians faking things. Italy only got through in 2006 with an inexistent penalty, go to hell ;-).
Date: June 25, 2010 09:09AM
Posted by: gav
Santon and Balotelli weren't getting into the starting 11 of their club, so it's not a surprise they were left at home. And had he gone, Balotelli would have beaten Anelka home.
Date: June 25, 2010 01:56PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
Japan are now my dark horses...they have been very impressive, and Honda is an excellent goalscorer/playmaker. Great to watch.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: June 25, 2010 08:59PM
FREAKY!

My PC didn't start recording the Chile vs Spain game automatically (primarily as I forgot to tell it to), so I just started watching it as the ball was played up to Torres, Bravo came out and cleared it to Villa... who scored from 45 yards.

The goal was scored about 3 seconds after I started watching.

Epic timing. :D

//edit: @#$%&... the best team in the competition so far are 2-0 down, down to 10 men (perhaps a touch harshly) and now equal on goals with Switzerland... if Switzerland win, they go through.

Nothing against the Swiss, and I'm not especially a Chile fan, but they've been brilliant so far (their movement up front in particular) and despite winning their opening 2 games, they look on the verge of going out. It would be such a shame. Come on Honduras.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2010 09:12PM by gav.
Date: June 25, 2010 11:28PM
F*cking Fernando Torres, cheating scum for his dive (or S. Ramos, whoever did it). Chile fought hard with 10 guys to make up for their lack of talent and goalkeeper's mistake :(.
Date: June 25, 2010 11:45PM
1) It was Torres

2) He didn't dive. I'm not saying it wasn't a yellow card (it wasn't IMHO), but it wasn't a dive. His heels were clipped, and if 1 leg trips your other leg, you can't exactly stay on your feet.

This whole "if it's not a foul, he should be booked for diving" annoys me. We get it all the time in England. When will people realise that people can fall over without it having to result in one or the other being penalised? Players fall over all the time - while there are a lot of dives, most of the time they have just fallen without looking for a foul. Not saying that is entirely the case in this instance (which you've seen given, but was still harsh), but still.
Date: June 26, 2010 03:28AM
Guimengo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> F*cking Fernando Torres, cheating scum for his
> dive (or S. Ramos, whoever did it). Chile fought
> hard with 10 guys to make up for their lack of
> talent and goalkeeper's mistake :(.

i was cheering for Chile too, as gav says, they've been playing really well and seem very solid, but their biggest mistake was starting the contact game, there was no need for it, and as far as i know (had to go after first half of first half :P) they won't have 2 key players for next game...
had they kept calm Spain could've been packing by now...
Date: June 26, 2010 03:35AM
Posted by: salvasirignano
Guimengo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Italy didn't have its best players but they're a
> stagnant team. 2006 was a fluke, the whole world
> except for stubborn Italians know that. I could
> easily see Santon, Balotelli, and Cassano in that
> team.
>
> Their disallowed goal was legitimate, yes, even
> more sweet since De Rossi dove for the penalty
> which gave them the draw the other game. I laughed
> and rejoiced as I watched the Italians complain
> about the Slovakians faking things. Italy only got
> through in 2006 with an inexistent penalty, go to
> hell ;-).

I agree with you on one point, the Italian team is stagnant, and to be honest pretty @#$%&.
Cassano yes, Santon perhaps not, and Balotelli? Hell no! He is supposedly an amazing talent (he wouldn't be fit to lick Rooney's, Messi's or Aguero's boots if you were to compare their respective abilities at his age) but all I can see is that he makes all the wrong choices on the pitch, doesn't play for his team, and his attitude stinks the place out.

I'm not sure how you can rejoice at Italians being unfairly denied Gui, when everybody dives and cheats, not just Italians. Remember Rivaldo?
Luis Fabiano showed a blatant example of it against the Ivory Coast, Lucio spends half of his time feigning injury, and hey, everybody says that brazilians play the beautiful game, but that is only when they are winning comfortably. If they aren't then they stoop to the stereotypical South American dirty play exhibited by nations such as Uruguay and Argentina, which Brazilians like to pretend they are above :). When they are getting crapped on, (like in the Olympic semi final two years ago, or in the 1974 World Cup against Holland, as two examples that spring to mind immediately), out come the scything malicious fouls that make Benjamin Massing look gentle ;)

And as for the penalty Grosso was awarded in 2006 against Australia, if it was anywhere else on the pitch it would have been given as a foul! I still remember that Alan Ball was in the studio, and he said it was a definite penalty :) Everybody conveniently forgets that Materazzi shouldn't have been sent off earlier in the game, he took his own man out, and wasn't even the last man. Despite playing with a man extra, Australia did absolutely nothing to deserve going through, the right team won. Did the right team win the final? Perhaps, perhaps not, but both teams were crap. Doesn't mean it was a fluke though.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2010 03:42AM by salvasirignano.
Date: June 26, 2010 04:41AM
Wow, a lot to read ;).

About Torres, the one angle I saw it from was him running along the Chilean and having if anything an accidental touch between both. In that case damn linesman for not seeing that, and damn Torres for making it look worse.

Now, on to Salva :P.
Balotelli isn't a genius or anything near but he does possess the technique with the ball, and flair. It is indeed a matter of getting his head out of his ass though. Santon isn't special, like a WIP Zanetti Jr but he's solid and plays both sides. And almost half of Zambrotta's age ;).

Rivaldo faked it big time and should have been punished for that, but his attitude was irrelevant to the red card. That behavior is punishable with a red card, what the Turkish guy got. Luis Fabiano's goal shouldn't have been allowed, regardless of how pretty the play was. Lúcio doesn't fake injury, he gets hit with bad parts of the cleats (like a well placed stud on a pinky ;)) and collapses to the immediate pain caused, though it's the pain that goes away after 3s of rubbing :P. Brazil sometimes plays beautiful, when we're actually playing up to our name and forcing the other team to play defense, not us playing in a counter attack formation. Olympics we suck because we don't take our best youngsters most of the time, and 90% of them are unfortunately cocky and with agents placing them in other teams with barely a year of pro playing :(. 1974 Brazil didn't have Zico, explanation done ;). 1978 we didn't lose a single game, Zico was robbed of a winning goal as the ref tried blowing the whistle before the ball crossed the line, and Argentina well-knowingly bribed Peru to lose (Argies had to win by over 4 goals) and made it to the final against Holland, despite losing previously while Brazil was left to get 3rd place despite being undefeated.

Luis Fabiano won't be punished the same way Villa wasn't punished for aggression, the same way Suárez wasn't punished for diving, like De Rossi for diving as well for that penalty, or how Keita or whichever Ivorian it was who ran into Kaká and faked that aggression, and then whatever other examples one can find this World Cup.

About 2006, I agree to disagree, it's just much easier for everyone ;).
Date: June 26, 2010 09:49AM
Lucio is one of Europe's finest actors! The guy feigns injury as much as Drogba! I'm not saying when he does go down he's not been touched, but he writhes around in the most dramatic fashion. How you can claim otherwise is beyond belief frankly!
Date: June 26, 2010 08:49PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
Do divers just genuinely have no conscience? If I dived, i'd immediately say to the ref 'It isn't a penalty.'

but that's probably why I'm not a footballer..

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: June 26, 2010 09:27PM
The US needs to use the wings and be patient or they'll lose. The game has been a fine display of why defenders should not try dribbling up the field when in their halves or without proper coverage.
Date: June 27, 2010 04:34PM
wow England's defence are all asleep.. Muller and Ozil are eating them alive
Date: June 27, 2010 04:47PM
Posted by: Vader
Vengeance for Wembley.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: June 27, 2010 04:48PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
this match is definitely living up to expectations!

What a shocking mistake to not award that goal though, obviously the calls for video technology will start knocking down FIFA's door again tomorrow

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 27, 2010 04:57PM
Posted by: EC83
Wow, great match so far! Great start from Germany, but still looks like it could go either way :S

Date: June 27, 2010 04:58PM
best game so far no doubt... these 15 minutes feels a lot longer than the whole 45 of first half... excellent game

and wow, that England goal could've changed the whole game
Date: June 27, 2010 05:48PM
Posted by: EC83
Yes... :D

Well done Germany!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy