"#$%"@ beach ball!

Posted by Frantic 
"#$%"@ beach ball!
Date: October 18, 2009 11:37PM
Posted by: Frantic
Ok, Sunderland won 1-0 because a beach ball hit the match ball and then it finished in goal.

But, its legal?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2009 11:40PM by Frantic.
Re: "#$%"@ beach ball!
Date: October 19, 2009 12:07AM
Posted by: matt3454
hahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaha

couldn't happen to a nicer team

hahahahahahahaha

Date: October 19, 2009 09:10AM
Posted by: gav
Frantic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But, its legal?

Nope, according to the rules, the game should have been stopped and then restarted with a drop ball from the point at which the ball struck the beachball.

Matt must be a Man U fan. ;)
Date: October 19, 2009 12:11PM
Posted by: Enjoi
I was more annoyed that it wasn't popped or kicked away, Not sure how long it was in the goal area though, suppose Reina might not have had a chance! I'm surprised that the goal shouldn't officially have been allowed, I just think luck doesn't go your way when you're not doing very well...Sunderland looked the better team on the highlights anyway I think.

Ric Scott
Date: October 19, 2009 12:44PM
They showed it on MOTD2 last night. After it was thrown onto the pitch Reina did stick it into the back of the goal, but as he was off his line when Liverpool were attacking, it was blown out to the 6 yard line as he was moving back as Sunderland came forward.

I don't know how easy it is to burst a beachball with football boots (let's face it... who does?!), but I'd imagine there's a rather large chance of turning your ankle over while doing so... they're a good bit thicker than a balloon!
Date: October 19, 2009 05:30PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Unless he has metal studs it will be quite annoying to pop. The referee has been put on "reserve".
Date: October 20, 2009 11:49AM
Posted by: Enjoi
yeah good point. in that case he should have just slowly deflated it under one arm whilst defending his goal with the other :P. didn't see Motd2 but I feel more for Reina now I know he did try to do something about it. Ah well, plenty of the season to go and i'm sure the other top teams will have a similar 'beach ball' moment (maybe not as random as that though)..

Ric Scott
Date: October 20, 2009 02:59PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Apparantly United fans have sold out Liverpool's supply of them dratted beach balls for the game this weekend! ;)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: October 21, 2009 01:12AM
Posted by: LS.
The ultimate irony is that the ball was from Liverpool one! lol

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2009 01:13AM by LS..
Date: October 21, 2009 04:52PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Has anyone seen the video of the kid slapping the ball onto the field? It was so great :P
Date: October 25, 2009 07:42PM
Posted by: Ho3n3r
Beach ball boy says sorry

Liverpool - A teenage Liverpool fan who caused one of the oddest goals in English football history came out of hiding Sunday to apologise profusely for belting a beach ball onto the pitch.

Callum Campbell, 16, told the Sunday Mirror newspaper it was he who whacked the inflatable onto the pitch, triggering Liverpool's 1-0 defeat at Sunderland on October 17.

The youngster has faced death threats for his part in a defeat that dented the Reds' bid to win the Premier League title and locked himself indoors for two days.

"It was me," Campbell told the tabloid.

"I'm the one who did it. I'm the one caught on camera. I'm so, so sorry. This is my worst, worst nightmare."

In the fifth minute of the match, Black Cats striker Darren Bent fired a shot on target, but it hit the Liverpool-branded beach ball, taking a big deflection and completely bamboozling Reds goalkeeper Pepe Reina - who went for the wrong ball.

Millions around the world have seen the bizarre incident.

When the beach ball came Campbell's way before the kick-off, he punched it onto the Stadium of Light pitch. It went into Reina's goal but blew out as Sunderland went on the attack.

"When I got home I went into the garden and threw up. I was physically sick - and that's before the death threats started appearing on the Internet the next day," Campbell said.

"I watched it over and over again, and I still can't work out how it happened.

"But my mum tells me it wasn't my fault - and that's what I have to believe. The referee should never have allowed the goal. I just hope the real fans understand and forgive me.

"How was I supposed to know what would happen? It was just a bit of fun, and if I could turn back the clock and do it differently, throw the ball into the crowd instead of on to the pitch, then I would.

"I'm really, really sorry it happened like it did.

"It's bad enough when Liverpool lose, like in a normal way, but this was just one big disaster.

"It would have taken someone a couple of seconds to move it away, or put a foot on it and flatten it, but nobody bothered. And then it started to roll about. Just at the wrong moment.

"But I accept I shouldn't have thrown it on to the pitch in the first place."

Defeat left Liverpool seven points behind bitter rivals Manchester United, the reigning champions, their visitors on Sunday at Anfield.

His uncle Tony Moore said: "Let's say Liverpool are just three points short of winning the league at the end of this season -- he'll be beside himself, thinking they were the points that cost them."

At Campbell's request, part of the fee for his interview was donated to the Hillsborough Disaster Fund.

Shame, poor boy. Death threats? That's just ridiculous.

And why the goal wasn't disallowed, nobody will know. I'd rather blame the FA's officials instead of the boy if I were one of those angry demented fans who want to kill him.
Date: October 25, 2009 09:19PM
Ho3n3r Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At Campbell's request, part of the fee for his
> interview was donated to the Hillsborough Disaster
> Fund.

Oh dear.... I suspect any threats he actually got will have just escalated some.
Date: October 27, 2009 02:16PM
Posted by: Covfan
Could be worse, he could have been speaking to The Sun.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy