The Ashes 2009

Posted by SchueyFan 
The Ashes 2009
Date: July 09, 2009 09:06PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
So the Ashes is underway for another series. hopefully it will be as exciting a series as in 2005, but with a different result ;)

anyway, australia did a great job to fight back today, but i think with some rain predicted, a draw is the most likely option.

X (@ed24f1)
Re: The Ashes 2009
Date: July 12, 2009 09:58PM
Posted by: Muks_C
just watched the last little bit of it when the draw was given, wtf are the England team and supporters applauding and congratulating each other for? it's a draw! and we only "beat" the Aussie score by 13 runs because we had 2 innings while they had only 1 (a superb one at that with almost 700 for only 6 wickets falling).

are we that bad and low in our expectations that to not lose a test is equal to a victory?

appalling attitude to have, we should be massively disappointed that we had the floor wiped with us by the Aussie batsmen who reached almost 700, who knows how many they could have got had they not declared.

is this what we have got to look forward to for the remaining tests? hoping we can scrape a draw everytime?

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: July 13, 2009 01:05AM
Posted by: Covfan
Muks_C you don't get it at all, from the position England were in at the beginning of day 5 when they clearly had to try to defend to not lose the test against grim odds and they managed it. It was a fantastic achievement and the Aussies felt the same way when it happened in 2005 (I think it was the third test)
Date: July 13, 2009 09:21AM
yes, it was very similar to the 2005 test match when Ponting scored a century on the last day and McGrath had to face the last few balls.

anyway, while i am disappointed that Australia didn't win, i think this result will set up a more competitive series

X (@ed24f1)
Date: July 13, 2009 10:22AM
Posted by: torana_05
i didnt watch the much of the game but england did well to hold out a day with only 8 wickets. bit disappointed that the aussies didnt win but ohh well we will win the ashes back if that is the best england can do.

Date: July 15, 2009 12:27PM
Posted by: Red Sam
Flintoff to retire from Test Cricket at the end of the series.

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: July 15, 2009 09:03PM
a bit of a surprise, but his body seems to be overloaded

X (@ed24f1)
Date: July 19, 2009 01:58AM
Day 4 at Lords later on, and the Aussies are going to have to pull off quite a recovery to save this one. England will prob have a lead of 600 when they declare...

RedSam

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: July 19, 2009 04:41PM
yes, its not looking good for Australia - they need to get Lee and Clark into the team.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: July 20, 2009 12:18AM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
lol@muks not getting cricket

and yikes, 5 down....200 odd to go - still a bit optimistic to hope for a win, but I'm gonna be up late watching ;)
Date: July 20, 2009 01:58PM
Brilliant performance by England to clear up the last few wickets. Hats off to the Aussies for making it an exciting finale.
Date: July 21, 2009 10:11AM
Posted by: super__alonso
Bloddy poms cheating their way to a win. But the Aussies are not as good since McGrath and Warne retired.
Date: July 21, 2009 10:26AM
if you stick by that story you'll be as no-good as the poms that bung on in their media when things don't go there way ;)

three more matches, I can't see that all that happened this match happening again, so expect at least 2-1 to the aussies :D
Date: July 21, 2009 11:56AM
He's tying with Muks as the least knowledgeable poster in this thread!
Date: July 21, 2009 08:55PM
Keep up the momentum at Edgbaston, then at 2-0 up bring on English crickets official 12th man - RAIN!

RedSam

Date: July 22, 2009 08:22AM
Posted by: casabonka
We cant blame our loss on anything but a poor first innings. Even if we did get a couple of dicey umpire decisions, if we werent in that position to start with, we would've been fine!

2013 - Nando must come through..
Date: July 30, 2009 01:13AM
Ian Bell back for England - I do like Bell, so I hope he can pull something good out. However, I fear he will be exposed by an underperforming Bopara. I'd like to see Rob Key given a chance...

RedSam

Date: August 04, 2009 03:55PM
Posted by: SHEEPY
see england currently 1-0 up in the series with 2 drawn
Date: August 07, 2009 10:41AM
yes sheepy, well done
Date: August 07, 2009 02:48PM
Posted by: matt3454
and england are at the moment, getting well and truly raped. Lets hope for plenty of rain !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy