wc qualifyers european zone GROUP 8

Posted by mitadumapaga 
wc qualifyers european zone GROUP 8
Date: June 08, 2009 06:43PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
Is anyboby watching the group with italy bulgaria and ireland.????
what do you think for 2 from those 3 teams making it through into the WC or PLAYOFFS.
italy is a point ahead of ireland and a match less. bulgaria is five points behind ireland but still a game more to play and ireland must play against cuprys away from home .

My question is which 2 teams you think will advance ? thank you :)
Re: wc qualifyers european zone GROUP 8
Date: June 08, 2009 08:15PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Italy and Ireland. I however am not sure if Italy will get past the round of 16 in 2010, remember they really lucked out in 2006 with referees.
Date: June 09, 2009 02:15PM
Posted by: The Lopper
Ireland are somehow going to make it. I still don't know how they've done it, because they haven't played a full match of impressive soccer all season. But anything they haven't won, they've drawn, so they've been steadily racking up the points. Giovanni Trappatoni and defensive soccer and so forth. It works, apparently.
Date: June 09, 2009 05:08PM
Italian style, Loppernicus. You can apply your exact words to Italy. I was going to say France and Portugal as well but they haven't been just drawing, they lose and also play ugly ;).
Date: June 09, 2009 07:54PM
however if you take a closer look you ll see that Bulgaria is 5 points behind ireland but with a game less (against montenegro at home)
then ireland are going to cyprus and it s going to be a thought game, for sure....
and after that a home game against italy....
so bulgaria has a game more and only a difficult away game against italy
also cyprus , butthe bulgarians did a really solid performance at home so i think cyprus are not the team that can stop them , so easy.
What really sucks is that if ireland wins all its games (only two apart the game against italy) and make a draw against italy, then both teams ( without Bulgaria) will advance and befcause rapattoni , althought a very good coach , is an italaian and maybe there can be a set up match in ireland against italy.
apart from that i am a bulgarian and really hope that after 12 years without being part of WC finals (last time was 1998 ) we can still do it :)
keep your fingers crossed ;)
Date: June 09, 2009 08:00PM
You need a new reincarnation of Stoichkov, Balakov, .... :P.
Date: June 09, 2009 08:53PM
:p
we have ...........
like we dont have anyone even clos to their talent ... not even berbatov, an overrated fuul for me personaly. Had 2 great chances against ireland , didnt score them, and in crusial games his display has also been frustrating.
But balakow , you're wright, the kind of player we need indeed. There's no one to feed the strikers with good passes .
But hey, there's always hope , like schumacher said many years ago :)
Date: June 09, 2009 09:08PM
Meh, Berbatov... can't believe Man U wasted so much money on him :-o
Date: June 09, 2009 09:24PM
neither do i :).
but hey, if you look back in the past... a long time ago in 1994 when Bulgaria was 4 th best teams in the world , we won against germany (the active world champion then) with 2:1 and that prooved to be our last victoy on world cup finals. If you would have told that to a bulgarian then he would laugh at your face..... but that's just the way it is...... 16 years without a win on WC ...... :(
as sad as it can be :(:(:(
Date: June 09, 2009 09:32PM
I remember that game. Wasn't it 3x1 with the German goal coming from a Matthaus penalty kick? It was the downfall of Germany, both Matthaus and Klinsmann weren't enough to make up for the rest of the average team with players aging fast. Basically every other WC has a similar story! Croatia in 98, Turkey in 2002, Germany in 2006 was a big surprise to many...
Date: June 10, 2009 11:31AM
Obviously I hope we get through, but if I'm honest I don't give a toss. Soccer is only about the 4th biggest sport in this country anyway, and this team completely fails to evoke the kind of passion we had in the Jack Charlton/Mick McCarthy era.
Date: June 10, 2009 04:23PM
Well, I'd not mind both Bulgaria and Ireland making it together to the WC, if only Argentina could have its spot taken away ;).
Date: June 11, 2009 12:00PM
Wot? No Argentina?!

Argentina and Italy generally command my token support in WCs, seeing as we generally don't make it, although all my fave players from the Italian side of the last decade or so are a bit over the hill now.
Date: June 11, 2009 04:19PM
The Lopper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>Argentina and Italy generally command my token
> support in WCs

WHAT?! Are you insane? ;) Only Argentines and 50% of Uruguayans cheer for Argentina, everyone else pretty much dislikes them because they know how arrogant the people are :P. On a side note, another lovely loss by Maradona's team, now to Ecuador! They're in 4th place and if they drop one more they have to play a CONCACAF team to qualify to the WC.
Date: June 12, 2009 12:29PM
Posted by: salvasirignano
Guimengo Wrote:
> Italy and Ireland. I however am not sure if Italy
> will get past the round of 16 in 2010, remember
> they really lucked out in 2006 with referees.

That's crap Gui!!!!!
How can you say Italy lucked out with referees? They did get one debatable penalty against Australia (not more so though, than the one given against them in the final) but remember earlier in that match Materazzi was really harshly sent off. And if they had still been playing now Australia wouldn't have scored.
Also, the only goal they conceded from open play in seven games was a comical own goal from Zaccardo. Yet they didn't play catenaccio, if you care to remember the semi-final against Germany and the intricate, end-to-end football that served up a modern classic.

There's no way Argentina can fail to qualify for South Africa, even if they went into a CONCACAF playoff.
Rather than Argentina missing out, a Brazil-less World Cup would be nice if I'm honest ;) ;) ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2009 12:31PM by salvasirignano.
Date: June 12, 2009 02:26PM
Guimengo Wrote:
> The Lopper Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >Argentina and Italy generally command my token
> > support in WCs
>
>
> WHAT?! Are you insane? ;) Only Argentines and 50%
> of Uruguayans cheer for Argentina, everyone else
> pretty much dislikes them because they know how
> arrogant the people are :P.

And you're from where again? Brazil? Oh right. ;)

Who DO Brazilians really hate anyway, the Argentines I presume from what you're saying?
Date: June 12, 2009 04:46PM
Salva, you only say that because of 1994 ;).

Loppernicus, that's the opinion of all but one (and a half) country(ies) from Latin America. You'll understand it if you ever end up hanging out/meeting ARRRGentines. To give you a brief summary, think of them as narcisistic italians who were kicked out of Europe but still think they rule the world ;).
Date: June 12, 2009 10:26PM
Ouch! They probably got the bad attitude from all the Irish exiles that headed out there round the 1900s. ;)

I'll end up meeting them one day for sure. It's all a part of the world I'd really love to visit. Rio de Janeiro, Patagonia in Argentina and the Atacama in Chile, all very high up on my wishlist of destinations!
Date: June 13, 2009 02:05AM
Go to Patagonia in the middle of the year, it's the winter time and people go ski and stuff :P.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy