Six Nations 2009\*British and Irish Lions*

Posted by The Lopper 
Re: Six Nations 2009
Date: March 06, 2009 06:13PM
Posted by: The Lopper
LOL! ;) Nah, it's in the backs where the difference will be. Italy still don't function when the ball goes beyond no. 10. Now look at what Wales have. Shane Williams, Lee Byrne, Hook at out half. For all the slagging Henson gets, he still has the ability to do something special, and if not, there's always Shanklin waiting on the bench. Despite the raft of changes, Wales should have no worries.
Date: March 06, 2009 06:39PM
Posted by: MrMan
I'm confident that we'll do the business, just this season we've not really done things the easy way. So many changes to a team can disrupt the flow, although there's not much of a flow and rhythm to the way we play lately to actually disrupt.

Need a big win over there, catch up with Ireland on points difference and it'd give us a big boost going into the match.

Date: March 15, 2009 10:03PM
Posted by: msater
England 34 France 10. HAHA France!

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: March 16, 2009 12:46AM
Wales and Ireland put out weakened sides and it showed. The big shock of the weekend was France's complete and utter capitulation against England. What the hell happened to the France we saw against Ireland, in particular. The championship is now between us and Wales...we can still go for the Grand Slam, but methink Wales will beat us, with Ireland taking the championship on points difference. I hope I'm wrong, obviously! :)
Date: March 16, 2009 04:20PM
What a dire display from us. Take nothing away from the Italians, who were up for a fight, but we should have won that easily. As it stands, we can win the triple crown but still lose the championship. Looking at how we've played in the last four games, I would take that right now. We've not looked anything like the team that walked it last year, but I suppose this season has shown us that we have a fighting spirit.

Not sure how to call the Wales - Ireland match. You'd figure that both would be up for it, but Wales have rarely looked up for it. It'll be a tight game, but I think Ireland might just edge it.

Date: March 21, 2009 10:45PM
We've done it!! :) And an awesome match to round off the championship, the second half was as nerve-wracking as I've seen!
Date: March 23, 2009 09:43PM
Posted by: Red Sam
Great game, great kick by Ronan O'Gara too.

Surely the Irish lay claim to most of the central positions for the Lions tour now?

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: March 24, 2009 07:00PM
15. Lee Byrne
14. Tommy Bowe
13. Brian O'Driscoll
12. Riki Flutey
11. Shane Williams
10. Rónan O' Gara
9. Mike Blair
8. Jamie Heaslip
7. David Wallace
6. Martyn Williams
5. Paul O'Connell
4. Jason White
3. John Hayes
2. Jerry Flannery
1. Gethin Jenkins

That'd be the one I'd pick...an even enough spread of players. Ireland and Wales are going to dominate it I'd say though.
Date: March 31, 2009 02:21AM
Posted by: gary42
Not sure on Flutey at 12 - Probably go for Shanklin. I just get the feeling he'd care more in a Lions squad...

Date: March 31, 2009 05:20AM
Actually me too...this team was me trying to be fair and getting all the nations into the squad as much as possible! All the same though, Shanklin and Flutey were damn impressive...methinks the centres were the players of the tournament in general!
Date: April 01, 2009 12:48AM
Good 15, that.

I might even take Chris Cusiter as the second scrum half, although others would have a strong claim.

And somewhere for Chris Paterson in the wider squad?

RedSam

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Re: Six Nations 2009\*British and Irish Lions*
Date: April 01, 2009 12:47PM
I would deffo have Chris Paterson in the squad, very under-rated player, struggles because of his country methinks. And of course, a space in the squad for Delon Armitage. I do feel this man can reach Jason Robinson's awesome level!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2009 01:25PM by The Lopper.
Date: April 03, 2009 04:26PM
Space for Armitage would be good.

Who captains? It must be O'Driscoll or O'Connell, surely?

RedSam

Date: April 03, 2009 07:55PM
I'd say it'll go to O'Driscoll. He was captain last time, but only played a few minutes because of the Tana Umaga spear tackle incident. It'll be an interesting tour, South Africa are World Champions and are no.2 according to IRB, but they've never overly impressed me. Remains to be seen in what way they'll use this series as preparation for the Tri-Nations, which starts soon after.
Date: April 21, 2009 03:15PM
Lions' 37-man squad

Backs: Lee Byrne, Rob Kearney, Shane Williams, Leigh Halfpenny, Ugo Monye, Luke Fitzgerald, Tommy Bowe, Tom Shanklin, Jamie Roberts, Brian O'Driscoll, Keith Earls, Riki Flutey, Ronan O'Gara, Stephen Jones, Mike Phillips, Harry Ellis, Tomas O'Leary.

Forwards: Jamie Heaslip, Andy Powell, David Wallace, Stephen Ferris, Alan Quinlan, Joe Worsley, Martyn Williams, Alun Wyn-Jones, Paul O'Connell (capt), Donncha O'Callaghan, Simon Shaw, Nathan Hines, Gethin Jenkins, Adam Jones, Andrew Sheridan, Phil Vickery, Euan Murray, Jerry Flannery, Lee Mears, Matthew Rees.

Looks a good, strong team. Plenty of shocks in there with a few surprise omissions and a few surprise inclusions.

I am really pleased for Halfpenny, he has been sensational since he made his debut for the Blues this year, with 10 tries in 15 games after the EDF Final on Saturday. Surprised that Powell has been included, he was poor in the Six Nations (Along with a few other Welshies) and hasn't played regularly for the Blues of late. Feel sorry for Armitage too, I don't think he's better than Byrne, but he is a very good player and is versatile too.

O'Connel is captain also, saw that coming from a mile off.

Date: April 21, 2009 09:48PM
Was surprised to see Quinlan included, but I guess he's had a good run with Munster of late, and no doubt O'Connell helped influence that decision. Disappointed no Armitage, as an attacking player I'd rate him above Kearney and Fitzgerald, although we'll have to see how they cut loose on a Lions Tour. Just two Scots, but that was to be expected on Six Nations form I guess.

Most surprising: just two out-halfs? :S

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2009 09:49PM by The Lopper.
Date: April 22, 2009 05:59PM
The Lopper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Most surprising: just two out-halfs? :S

I think the thinking with that is that Halfpenny is a good kicker, so he'll take over the goal kicking if Jones or RoG get injured. Think Flutey would then move over to fly-half.

Gatland's come out and said that the reason Ryan Jones wasn't picked (Which many people have questioned), is because he's not been playing well over the past month or so. But Gatland's words don't make sense when Powell had a dissappointing Six Nations and has hardly featured for the Blues of late. Maybe this is another Graham Henry situation, with the coaching staff alienating a few players.

Date: April 25, 2009 02:51PM
Can't really understand the Powell one...I can understand why Ryan Jones ain't there, Quinlan seems to have nabbed his place on HC form...but there are a few in there that are strange.

Tomás O Leary is gone, broke his ankle playing for Munster, expect Mike Blair to get the call up.
Date: April 26, 2009 02:01AM
Mike Blair should have been there in the first place!

RedSam

Date: April 30, 2009 10:20AM
Posted by: Ho3n3r
Sprinboks to take it 3-0!

GO BOKKE!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy