Star of Beijing 2008

Posted by Rod_vs 
Star of Beijing 2008
Date: August 09, 2008 12:06AM
Posted by: Rod_vs
Hi, people. Well, for all of you, who are the stars of Olympic Games?

I think Brazil can won between 15 and 20 gold medals, but one is absolutely ready: Yelena Isinbayeva, on Javelin!!!

One Racing driver and team manager
GPGSL-3: champion in 2007/2013/2014!
GPGSL-4: testdrivers champion in Season 11!
Re: Star of Beijing 2008
Date: August 09, 2008 06:22AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Brazil 15-20 gold medals? No way!

Let's see:

Volleyball-

Beach: gold on men and women's, but women's is less favorite due to the star of the Juliana and Larissa duo being out due to injury.

Indoor: women's might not come through in the clutch time on occasion, I don't like our coach too much but we are the favorites. Men's team is the best in the world and despite the last mishap where we got 4th in the world league (after winning it 7 straight times or something) the guys will want to win it big time. I heard criticism regarding the ball to be used but I hope they overcome that.

4 gold medals

Football-

Women's team I'd say is the best in the world, we don't have the results that Germany has but we have more quality and skill, not to mention hurt. We just need a little more luck and be more cold during the games, much like Spain had to be this year to win the Euro Cup..
Men's team is not the favorite by FAR. We have inexperienced guys, many unproven talents who barely played professionally in Brazil. The guys also barely ever played for the national team, for many it's the first time playing for it and they lack the chemistry. I will cheer a lot for the gold but I'd say we're in the top 5 favorites but towards the less favorite bit.

2 gold medals, 1 most likely

Judo-

In both men and women's side we're strong despite one of the main contenders for the women's gold medal being cut due to injury. I don't know how many categories we're going in for but I guess 4.

2 gold medals

Swimming-

We have Kaio Marcio, Thiago Pereira and Cesar Cielo, but there is a certain Michael Phelps there too. To me, Popov was the greatest swimmer, but Phelps is quite dominant right now. Brazil definitely has no shot at gold on relay, but maybe Thiago Pereira can beat Phelps in the 200m (I think that's the one), and Cesar Cielo might have a shot at beating Phelps in the shorter distance.

1 silver, 1 bronze

Yachting or similar-

Robert Scheidt for the gold.

1 gold medal

Track & Field-

Women's long jump with Maureen Maggi

1 gold medal

Gymnastics-

Our athletes seem to get unlucky near important events. We have people who win world championships but not the gold medals and this year might be the same but I hope for gold on the men's event with Diego Hypolito.

2 gold medals

As far as I can remember, that's it. But to actually win those golds the people will really have to be 100%. But the possibility of 12 gold medals for a country with horrible support for anything is quite amazing!
Date: August 10, 2008 05:29AM
Michael Phelps set a new WR already and if he can do what he set himself to do then he will be the star of Beijing 2008.
Date: August 10, 2008 07:23PM
Posted by: vesuvius
Rod_vs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi, people. Well, for all of you, who are the
> stars of Olympic Games?
>
> I think Brazil can won between 15 and 20 gold
> medals, but one is absolutely ready: Yelena
> Isinbayeva, on Javelin!!!

Yelena is competing on Pole vault not javelin ;) she looks great so I will watch her performances for sure.

and then I will follow all finnish athletes on track & field and on another events also...and I like swimming also so will follow how Michael Phelps will do and he started very well ...hopefully he will manage to win 8 gold medals and beat the record of 7 gold in one olympic games won by Mark Spitz ...for sure Phelps will be come the athlete who has won most gold medals in olympic history ( record is 9 gold medals by Paavo Nurmi,Car Lewis and Mark Spitz)so for sure will be interesting olympic games and I will enjoy every day :)
Date: August 10, 2008 07:49PM
Brazil started by disappointing big with judo, the 2 time current world champion in the up to 66kg category got eliminated, and the replacement for the women's champion lost in the first round.
Date: August 10, 2008 08:52PM
Oh yeah, and Ronaldinho was absurd with his flashes of geniality
Date: August 13, 2008 02:22AM
We lost on judo, 3 bronze medals so far.
Date: August 13, 2008 11:04AM
Posted by: vesuvius
yay Finland got 1 gold and one bronze so far :) and Michael Phelps is now the msot successful athlete in the history of olympic games with 11 gold medals (and more to come).
Date: August 14, 2008 06:43AM
As great as Phelps is, I still believe Popov was the greatest one. True he only swam in about 4 events, but the guy was superior to everyone else all the way up to his stabbing. Popov would use his speedos and trash guys wearing the full body suits already.
Date: August 14, 2008 01:48PM
Posted by: Monza972
badminton mixed doubles between GBR & KOREA is looking exciting!
Date: August 14, 2008 04:46PM
Posted by: msater
Monza972 Wrote:
> badminton mixed doubles between GBR & KOREA is
> looking exciting!

we lost, miserably. can't beleive it. thought we'd win gold. what do you think, monil?

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: August 16, 2008 04:41AM
FIRST Olympic gold medal for Brazil on men's swimming, hell yes!

AMAZING job, congrats Cesar Cielo, another Olympic record :D
Date: August 16, 2008 06:08AM
Posted by: St.Hubbins
The lad looked happy too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F.Scott Fitzgerald
Date: August 16, 2008 07:21AM
Oh man, that's the 1st gold ever for us in swimming and he deserved it :). I am very happy for him, the guy has been doing very well in college and you could see by his tears how much it meant! And Phelps... what an AMAZING race, we're watching history :).
Date: August 16, 2008 04:14PM
msater Wrote:
> Monza972 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > badminton mixed doubles between GBR & KOREA is
> > looking exciting!
>
> we lost, miserably. can't beleive it. thought we'd
> win gold. what do you think, monil?

Well, i'm glad GBR lost that game as afterward it would've just gone crazy becuase the BBC would be going on and on about that. But yeah, shame it would've been good to see them win something besides the latter sports lke rowing and cycling.
Date: August 16, 2008 05:54PM
One thing that has been disappointing me are the brackets in some sports.

Brazil plays Argentina in the semi final of men's footy, while Belgium plays someone else on the other. Brazil and Argentina should meet in the final, not semi.... On the women's side, Germany and Brazil were in the same group. That's #1 and #2 in the world respectively. Brazil got Norway in the quarter final, a former top 3 team, and now faces Germany or Sweden in semis. The US will face either China or Japan, so basically they only had easy games so far (despite having lost to Norway)! Finally, on men's tennis, Nadal and Djokovic once again played a semi final. Ok, it was setup for Nadal x Federer in the final but we all knew he was going down, so we had a great match up in one semi, and a match up of 2 lesser talented guys in the other. Rant over :P.
Date: August 17, 2008 05:12AM
The star of Beijing 2008 and perhaps of all Olympics in the modern era (not forgetting Jim Thorpe):

8 gold medals in 2008, 6 in 2004. Just wow, congratulations :)
Date: August 17, 2008 12:58PM
Posted by: Sapo
Guimengo schreef:
> The star of Beijing 2008 and perhaps of all
> Olympics in the modern era (not forgetting Jim
> Thorpe):
>
> [www.timesonline.co.uk]
> 384/1_phelps360_384292a.jpg
>
> 8 gold medals in 2008, 6 in 2004. Just wow,
> congratulations :)

Can't agree more. Even if (and I think not) he uses dope etc, he uses it to the max ;)

Extraordinary.

Some say... he's even smaller than 20kb.
And some say... he's so offensive he could get you into trouble...
The only thing we know is that he's called...

THE SIG

Felipe Massa, World Champion 15:34:11pm- 15:34:21pm.
Date: August 17, 2008 05:19PM
Even i'm thinking the same thing about Phelps. But still who saw the Badminton match between Lin Dan and Lee (Something;)), Lee got thrashed!

After that the women's team table tennis game is immense between China and Singapore.

China have won 2 games to Singapore and now only on game of Doubles remain. China have owned everyone this year
Date: August 17, 2008 06:01PM
Posted by: sasjag
Phelps isn't doped, he's just the result of some sort of American experiment to create human-dolphin hybrids ;)

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy