Star of Beijing 2008

Posted by Rod_vs 
Re: Star of Beijing 2008
Date: August 17, 2008 07:12PM
Posted by: Sapo
Forgot to mention Usain Bolt. He was already cheering at 85 meters, and still ran a WR.

Some say... he's even smaller than 20kb.
And some say... he's so offensive he could get you into trouble...
The only thing we know is that he's called...

THE SIG

Felipe Massa, World Champion 15:34:11pm- 15:34:21pm.
Date: August 17, 2008 08:52PM
Posted by: sasjag
yeah, insane running by Bolt...and his shoe laces were undone!

also, anyone seen teh photo of teh finish of the 100m butterfly final (Phelps' 7th gold)?

sure looks like he lost to me....

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: August 17, 2008 09:29PM
Posted by: Guimengo
I was watching it live and Cavic kept his arms extended as Phelps took one final stroke and just touched the wall sensor before Cavic's both hands did. I do believe Phelps only touched with one of his hands first but I don't know if there's any rule regarding that.
Date: August 17, 2008 10:46PM
Posted by: Monza972
well from that, it definately looks like a fixing. Such a shame to come out from a well hosted event.
Date: August 18, 2008 03:39AM
To be honest, I think Phelps touched it first with his finger tips of his left hand as he finished the stroke while the other guy was going to palm it with both hands.
Date: August 18, 2008 12:56PM
Posted by: gav
I felt it looked a bit close on the slow-mo replay, but Phelps definitely reached out with his left first. Frankly, those screenshots/photos are completely inconclusive due to the warping effect and the shear lack of quality.

You can barely even make out Phelp's left arm in the most important shot and the blue cross under the water makes that shot completely worthless.

That said, it does suggest one thing. Unless Phelps has had his fingers on his left hand cut off, then he's touching the wall. Or it's been photoshopped. ;-)
Date: August 19, 2008 03:56AM
There's always some talk about stuff and for sure a few dodgy things happened in Beijing (so many in gymnastics too). But Phelps won it plain and simple, thanks to far too much practice. I am glad he got it too, he's a very nice guy and suffered (still does, of course) from ADHD and as you can see has a bit deformed face. His sisters also have ADD or similar. Phelps used to get picked on too but never did anything back and once he started winning the bullies from the past would approach him and be all nice, and Phelps' mom told a pretty cool story.

There was a meet when he was 15, after he qualified for Sydney 2000, and a guy walked up to him and congratulated him and asked if he remembered who he was, to which Michael said sorry, he couldn't, but when the kid walked away his mom went up to him and said Michael did know the guy. But Michael replied something like "yes I did, but I didn't want to give him that accomplishment".

Now that shows some maturity right there, in my opinion. Anyway, there are plenty of good stories around him if you bother to find them, he's a good person to carry the honor of the medals.
Date: August 20, 2008 12:42AM
Posted by: Frantic
The best football player = Messi :)

Lets see who´s the best team... Argentina or Nigeria???

I wanna see Argentina with the gold medal again!!!!!!!!!!! :):)

Date: August 20, 2008 01:24AM
Nigeria alllll the way ;)
Date: August 20, 2008 01:56AM
Posted by: Paco
fellow south-american, you should cheer for Argentina :P

I'm against sigpics
Date: August 20, 2008 03:38AM
Only some Uruguayans cheer for Argentina in S.A., the rest usually detests you guys ;)
Date: August 20, 2008 06:04PM
Posted by: Rod_vs
OK, I was so optimistic... but Isinbayeva is the only who was so favourite to win and WIN!

Phelps needed to help from others swimmers to won, on 4 x 100m freestyle!!!

One Racing driver and team manager
GPGSL-3: champion in 2007/2013/2014!
GPGSL-4: testdrivers champion in Season 11!
Date: August 21, 2008 05:14AM
As the name says,relay. It's not up to only Phelps, he has to depend on other guys there and the same way one guy sucked for the US, another did amazing. Phelps didn't do bad there, he just didn't gain as much as was hoped. 8 gold medals for him was well deserved.

Brazil has been sucking, the only one I accept an excuse for not chickening out is Diego Hypolito who was doing quite well en route for a medal but was unlucky to fall, and Juliana and Ana Paula had no chance of winning. Ana Paula is old, hasn't played for a while and they never played together before the Olympics. If Larissa hadn't hurt her knee we could have gone by the Americans and win gold. Other than that, disappointment in judo (3 bronze, no golds), long distance swimming, other gymnastics in general, and men's football we had a bad team but we still want the gold regardless so it was a failure.

I shall only watch two more events these Olympics, women's football final and men indoor volleyball final, which Brazil better play and win.
Date: August 22, 2008 06:53AM
The disappointments keep piling up for Brazil, we lost another 2 gold medals. Horrible Olympics, at least not as sickening as Sydney 2000 where we had 6 silver and 6 bronze. My country sucks.
Date: August 22, 2008 11:58AM
Posted by: variante_ascari
Watch at your own risk!

Date: August 22, 2008 12:31PM
Posted by: Monza972
Oh yeah i heard about that, but i didn't see it. Get well soon mate
Date: August 22, 2008 02:26PM
Posted by: jbnd05
Woohoo for Team GB! Best medal haul since about 1908!

Date: August 24, 2008 09:00AM
Great, Brazil lost the gold in men's volleyball to the US hot.
I hope Ricardinho is happy, the best setter in the world throws a hissy fit and Brazil has to use 2 back-up setters and the US comes in very strong with an amazing setter - who happens to be related my setter in my high school volleyball team! - named Lonnie Ball.

So we finish with 3 gold, 4 silver, 8 bronze. It should have been so much better...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy