Champions League Final Thread *SPOILERS*

Posted by turkey_machine 
Champions League Final Thread *SPOILERS*
Date: April 29, 2008 03:55PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Well I'm f**king buzzing from tonight's match. Scholes' goal was absolutely brilliant, and worthy of a match winner. Ronaldo didn't have a brilliant game, but Ji Sung Park? Bugger me, I've never ever seen him play that well in a Utd game. Barcelona weren't a patch on the defence, though the 4 Utd supporters in my flat were constantly yelling at the TV when Barcelona were passing it freely in Utd's half.

Manchester United vs Chelsea or Liverpool! Personally, I'd have Chelsea, just so we can get one over them when we win the Premiership, but I think Liverpool will deliver the goods at Stamford Bridge.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Re: Champions League Final Thread *SPOILERS*
Date: April 29, 2008 04:13PM
Posted by: gav
Was a good game tonight. Very poor start by Man U. They couldn't hold the ball and made a lot of mis-timed tackles early on. Barcelona were much like Arsenal this season. Play around the 18-yard box and then struggle to do anything - it was a joy seeing them pass it around though. An Arsenal-Barcelona game right now would be some spectacle. Man U probably just about deserved to win, just on clear chances created, but if Barca could have mustered a half-decent final ball once in a while, Man U would have been out by several goals.

Love watching Ronaldo play, but his game isn't the big games. He's a big-game player, sure (and his set-pieces alone are testament to that), but the way he works the ball isn't suited to tight-packed continental defenders. When he gets the ability to play around that, he'll have everything.

Being a Liverpool fan, if I'm honest, I'd have preferred Barcelona if we can get to the final. I don't hate Man U like most Liverpool fans, it's just that I feel we'd have half a shot at Barcelona. We always raise our game much more when playing major European teams, while recently we can't seem to beat Man U no-matter what (save that one FA cup tie a couple of years back).

That said, Chelsea are favourites, and they've put in 2 consecutive strong performances. If I were a Man U fan wanting the easier final, I'd be rooting for Liverpool tomorrow.
Date: April 30, 2008 09:31AM
Posted by: Enjoi
yeah I'm a Lpool fan and I'm not too confident about tonight, shame Riise got that late O.G. things would have been a little easier! I would have preferred Barca in the final 'coz most of my mates are Man Utd fans and I'm sick of getting stick from them everytime they beat us! Having said that...beating Man Utd would be awesome, but we've gotta try n get past Chelsea first. At least if Chelsea go through it'll be a good final between the two title condenders and I can enjoy it as a neutral!

Ric Scott
Date: April 30, 2008 03:34PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Having watched tonight's game, from the second half onwards, I was almost praying Liverpool would beat Chelsea, but when that penalty was awarded, and Drogba scored, and then Hyypia's penalty appeal was oh so close to being awarded, you wondered whether the gods were smiling on Chelsea. Babel's strike was good, though not a patch on Scholes' effort last night.

For those who missed it:

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

Date: April 30, 2008 06:44PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Great assist by Zambrotta, lovely strike by Scholes and bad positioning by Valdés but I am glad Man Utd are through, they seem to be the top team in Europe right now and I hope they beat Chelsea, hate those bastards ;)
Date: May 01, 2008 01:21AM
Ah bugger.

Still, 3 Champions League finals in 4 years would have been a bit over the top for a team that seem incapable of challenging for their own domestic title.

I think it's fair to say that over the course of the 3 semi's against Chelsea in those years, they've deserved at least 1 final out of us.

Chelsea dominated the first half, we were the better team in the second half, and they were the only that was going to win in extra time (though the last couple of minutes were a bit edgy :D). Pretty even tie over all. Damn you Riise. :P
Date: May 01, 2008 04:18AM
Posted by: MrMan
Think Riise can now be considered as an honorary Chelsea player, :D without him our task would have been much harder.

Good game overall, dissappointed with Babel's goal though, Cech should have saved that. But our first ever CL Final with a good chance of winning it too.

Date: May 07, 2008 11:52PM
Posted by: Monza972
Guimengo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great assist by Zambrotta, lovely strike by
> Scholes and bad positioning by Valdés but I am
> glad Man Utd are through, they seem to be the top
> team in Europe right now and I hope they beat
> Chelsea, hate those bastards ;)

Damn!

Thought you were a Chelsea fan lol
Date: May 08, 2008 04:58AM
Never! ;)
I enjoyed Arsenal back when Bergkamp played for them, ever since he retired I stopped caring for it, really... still got my Arsenal 2001 shirt and it still looks great, especially with that Dreamcast on the front :p
Drogba's an injury doubt after picking up a knee injury in Sunday's 1-1 draw with Bolton. Terry should be fit after dislocating his elbow colliding with Cech (I saw the replay, ouch!). Scholes is a definite to start providing he's fit, and Giggs looks likely to either start or sub to break Bobby Charlton's all-time appearance record. He equalled it on Sunday.

Date: May 21, 2008 05:18AM
I don't think most players intend to go on bad tackles to hurt others, I believe they're just plain too stupid and with small brain usage to judge or know any better

You just don't tackle your teammate like that. Ashley should be out tomorrow.
Date: May 21, 2008 09:36AM
The problem was him going over on his studs. He's expected to be fit to play.
Date: May 21, 2008 10:34AM
Posted by: TC
I just read the report on the BBC website to find out who it was that tackled him and it was almost funny.

"0829: Bit of a scare for Ashley Cole last night, with his old pal Claude Makelele deciding it was a good idea to give it a bit of double studs-up action in final training. I would have loved to have seen the conversation between them in the changing room after that. Chelsea expect Cole to be fit however, and, thankfully for Cole, he's got a sympathetic wife."
Date: May 21, 2008 03:53PM
Posted by: MrMan
Two bad tackles on team mates during training for Chelsea, thankfully he should be fit. There's still plenty of time though for Ben Haim to kamikaze himself into Drogba or one of our other big players...

Date: May 21, 2008 11:31PM
Posted by: Peat
i cant believe Terry just fluffed that!

Date: May 21, 2008 11:51PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
ALL HAIL MANCHESTER UNITED!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: May 21, 2008 11:55PM
Posted by: TC
Terrible tackle by Carvalho, slightly more pressure and Ronaldo's leg would have snapped. Leading to people on this forum saying he should be banned for life, funny how no one seems to notice unless there are broken bones though.
Date: May 22, 2008 12:12AM
Posted by: Monza972
Peat Wrote:
> i cant believe Terry just fluffed that!

Me too!

I was so there that Chelsea would have fixed it after Ronaldo's fluke. It had to rain like this (note the sarcasm). Great goal by Frank at half time though...

@Paul: BOO!
iCeMaN pAuL Wrote:
> ALL HAIL MANCHESTER UNITED!!!
> :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

+1 It feels great to actually remember being the champions of Europe this time! Penalties don't half make you nervous though........ I almost fainted towards the end of it!

Date: May 22, 2008 04:18AM
Posted by: sasjag
ppl are shocked an englishmen missed a penalty under pressure? :P

and congrats United, thanks to you i can still defeat any chelsea fan in conversation due to the fact that Villa have won the ECC and they havent

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy