FA Cup and general Premiership talk

Posted by Gaulty 
Re: FA Cup and general Premiership talk
Date: February 25, 2008 01:15AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Yes, we have, except there in Brazil everyone comments about the aggressor and we don't forget nor let it slide. The guy who tried to break Zico is only known for one thing in his career, and it was that vicious tackle.
Date: February 25, 2008 02:00AM
Posted by: gav
You think we just brush it under the carpet? Don't forget we're all governed by the same body. FIFA write the rules that the leagues have to abide by. This is all just reputation.
Date: February 25, 2008 03:26PM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
I can't recall the Premiership's having a broken leg since Djibril Cisse in 2004

I remember not too long ago Alan Smith breaking his leg when he was playing for Man Utd against Liverpool, not sure how long ago that was though, he's playing for Newcastle now though so I'm happy to see he made a recovery :)

The guy who tried to break Zico is only known for one thing in his career, and it was that vicious tackle.

Yes but don't you see? this is the problem! I'm not really that up on English football as I've missed out on the last 4 years and just getting back into it, but I remember loads of incidents where people go in to cause injury's, one which stands out being in a Man City v Man Utd Derby when Keane went in on Håland's Knee and it was lucky that Håland just managed to get his foot off the ground in time and they get away with it, well Keane did get a 5 match ban and a fine apparantly but that's way too lenient imo. But this injury which as a result of you are calling Taylor a Butcher and should be banned here was just a terrible accident! Gav mentioned the David Busst incident, was really horrible but Irwin and McClair didn't collide with him on purpose, It was a terrible accident.

But I do agree really people need to give out more severe penalties for malicious tackles, no matter what the outcome had been in-game.

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2008 03:27PM by Ianwoollam.
Date: February 25, 2008 04:10PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Roy Keane is one of the dirtiest players I've seen play, that guy has made horrendous tackles throughout his career and it's a shame because he could actually play quite well. Same with Materazzi, great defender who's a psycho. Regarding Taylor, have another look at the play. Never should his foot be that high up, and it may be rough to punish him more than others but an example should be set sometime, 1st time offender or not.

edit: just saw the paper, a quick surgery prevented the need to amputate his foot :\.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2008 04:53PM by Guimengo.
Date: February 25, 2008 05:06PM
Smith's injury was actually very similar to Eduado's in terms of what was broken. As far as I remember Smith broke both tibia and fibula and his ankle (which was also dislocated). I can call technicality on that one though as it was an FA Cup tie. While typing the previous message Kieron Dyer also came to mind (broke his in September or October), but that was Carling Cup, which I why I said Premiership. :P

I still don't see why Taylor should be made an example of though. Surely if you want larger punishments for bad of clumsy challenges (but not malicious ones) then that has to come from above the football association before the incident in question. If it's deemed deliberate then that's covered in the rules, but for an accident you can't just say "hey, it's not in the rules but we feel this might deter others from being a bit dim, so we're going to ban for a month".

For the record Taylor went to visit Eduado in hospital yesterday - kind of a given I guess, but there you go.
Date: February 25, 2008 05:37PM
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Smith's injury was actually very similar to
> Eduado's in terms of what was broken. As far as I
> remember Smith broke both tibia and fibula and his
> ankle (which was also dislocated). I can call
> technicality on that one though as it was an FA
> Cup tie. While typing the previous message Kieron
> Dyer also came to mind (broke his in September or
> October), but that was Carling Cup, which I why I
> said Premiership. :P

Like I said ain't really been watching football for the past few years, just remember seeing Smith in the paper a while back ;)

> Never should his foot be that high up, and it may
> be rough to punish him more than others but an example
> should be set sometime, 1st time offender or not.

Thats like saying in F1, when Coulthard made that clumsy move at the Aussie GP on Wurz and went flying over him, lets say that instead of missing Wurz he clipped his head and forced his neck in such a way that it broke Wurz's neck, should the FIA punish Coulthard for it and make an example out of him?

I understand what your trying to get at and I agree that for malicious tackles examples should be made and they should be clamped down on alot harder than FIFA are doing atm, but you can't punish a player and make an example out of him just because the other got injured, that just isn't the way to go.

Date: February 25, 2008 07:05PM
Posted by: Craigo
Im a gooner so i hated seeing it when it happened and it was horrible. Ill admit it was a bit of a nasty tackle but pure accident, we see far worse tackles wekk in week out but as no legs are broken there left out. Its these tackles whether contact is made or not bans should be put to players, purely wreckless or tackles wit intent should be made examples of whether contatc is made or not.

Date: February 26, 2008 07:37PM
Another random subject change :) Apparantly BBC are bidding for the Champions League rights

[msn.football365.com]

Money would be better spent getting the F1 back if you ask me but there you go ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2008 07:44PM by Ianwoollam.
Date: February 26, 2008 08:32PM
Love to see it on the Beeb, but come on... grossly over-priced European football, good viewing as it is, is what we're spending our already vast and bordering-compulsory license fee on? They really should be adopting a pay-as-you-go sort of system at this rate... I think it's outrageous that the average public member is paying for their website and crap like Radio Asian Network and Radio 6 and things as it is.
Date: February 29, 2008 01:07PM
gav Wrote:
> Love to see it on the Beeb, but come on... grossly
> over-priced European football, good viewing as it
> is, is what we're spending our already vast and
> bordering-compulsory license fee on? They really
> should be adopting a pay-as-you-go sort of system
> at this rate... I think it's outrageous that the
> average public member is paying for their website
> and crap like Radio Asian Network and Radio 6 and
> things as it is.

Not wrong there, I'd prefer them to actually invest in their BBC HD service a bit more, atm all they have on there are repeats of things like Torchwood :( for some reason Match Of The Day isn't in HD, even though football matches on Sky are in HD, Top Gear has only had 1 HD Show, that was the Polar Ice Special, not many new shows are been put on HD, takes the piss really.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2008 01:08PM by Ianwoollam.
Date: February 29, 2008 06:04PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Champions League is something the BBC shouldn't be aiming for. Live Premiership games, however, is.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: March 08, 2008 10:20PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
On the subject of the FA Cup...

This season seems to be getting more and more unbelievable. Utd dumped out of the cup by Portsmouth (and I wish I hadn't made the trek down to the pub just for that), then Barnsley walking all over the mighty Chelsea.

And to top off a mad day, Scotland beat England in the 6 Nations in between the footy matches.

Go figure: 2 disappointments and delight. Just my luck.

At least Dogma cheered me up! ;)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: March 08, 2008 10:30PM
Posted by: Gaulty
Bristol v Barnsley in the final ;) That would be cool, but unlikely.

Team Owner of ItalianEnglish Dynamics in GPG Super League
GP4 Season 5: 7) Jethro Walters. 8) Zsigmond Somogyi. TD) Stuart Ingers and Joel Henrique
GP3 Season 5: 14) Nathan Turner. 15) Tobias Kederer.
6 Time Race Winners
Date: March 09, 2008 02:17AM
Posted by: matt3454
Ianwoollam Wrote:
> gav Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Love to see it on the Beeb, but come on...
> grossly
> > over-priced European football, good viewing as
> it
> > is, is what we're spending our already vast and
> > bordering-compulsory license fee on? They
> really
> > should be adopting a pay-as-you-go sort of
> system
> > at this rate... I think it's outrageous that
> the
> > average public member is paying for their
> website
> > and crap like Radio Asian Network and Radio 6
> and
> > things as it is.
>
> Not wrong there, I'd prefer them to actually
> invest in their BBC HD service a bit more, atm all
> they have on there are repeats of things like
> Torchwood :( for some reason Match Of The Day
> isn't in HD, even though football matches on Sky
> are in HD, Top Gear has only had 1 HD Show, that
> was the Polar Ice Special, not many new shows are
> been put on HD, takes the piss really.

Virgin Media's HD service takes the piss, you have to pay £XX more pound a month just to get frikkin BBC HD, which whenever im round my mates just shows animal planet. Whereas sky has everythingHD

Date: March 11, 2008 06:54PM
Posted by: nvooght
Gaulty Wrote:
> Bristol v Barnsley in the final ;) That would be
> cool, but unlikely.

Maybe not :)

But Barnsley v WBA maybe?
Date: March 12, 2008 02:32AM
matt3454 Wrote:
> Virgin Media's HD service takes the piss, you have
> to pay £XX more pound a month just to get frikkin
> BBC HD, which whenever im round my mates just
> shows animal planet. Whereas sky has everythingHD

Well yeah it has more, but not that much, theres Sky One (Probably the only decent HD channel on there) which credit due all new Sky programs and new American shows are shown in HD, all English football and Champ League is HD on Sky Sports, problem is thats about it, not many other sports even though there is an HD feed, are shown in HD. Channel 4's is a waste of time, never anything in HD on that, BBC's has HD but its always repeats. Discovery, History Channel and Nat Geographic have HD channels but alot of the time they are all repeats too. Oh and Sky Movies HD is usually very good, just ain't got them on my account atm.

Date: March 20, 2008 07:22PM
Posted by: SexySam182
Ianwoollam Wrote:
> Another random subject change :) Apparantly BBC
> are bidding for the Champions League rights
>
> [msn.football365.com]
> 026,00.html
>
> Money would be better spent getting the F1 back if
> you ask me but there you go ;)

Lol was just reading back through the thread and found this. Some crystal ball you have ;)

Date: March 21, 2008 05:04PM
SexySam182 Wrote:
> Ianwoollam Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Another random subject change :) Apparantly BBC
> > are bidding for the Champions League rights
> >
> >
> [msn.football365.com]
>
> > 026,00.html
> >
> > Money would be better spent getting the F1 back
> if
> > you ask me but there you go ;)
>
>
> Lol was just reading back through the thread and
> found this. Some crystal ball you have ;)

Hehe! Maybe BBC read the forum and listened ;)

Date: April 06, 2008 07:43PM
Posted by: Diax F1
FA Cup Final *SPOILER*

Portsmouth vs. Cardiff City

FA Cup Semi Final scores:
West Brom 0 - 1 Portsmouth
Barnsley 0 - 1 Cardiff
Date: April 08, 2008 12:15AM
Going off topic into the Championship... Was watching the Stoke vs Crystal Palace game tonight on Sky Sports (Nowt else on!), was quite a good game action wise! No idea how the hell Stoke have only lost 4 games with a performance like that though, they had so many chances but were completly useless up front!

Apparantly they had a Premiership Ref watching over the game but bloody hell he was awful! Both sides got away with some really atrocious 2 footed tackles, a Stoke player decided to push a Crystal Palace player to the floor out of play in a disagreement too and the ref just didn't care less... He must be a former Premiership ref imo cause I've never seen Premiership Ref's that bad!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2008 12:18AM by Ianwoollam.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy