Posted by SexySam182 
Re: So England are out...
Date: November 24, 2007 12:59AM
Posted by: Guimengo
ok, so I just read that the economical damage may be of 2 billion pounds, wow
Date: November 24, 2007 01:32AM
Posted by: gav
Yeah, but only because Umbro won't be able to charge several zillion pound for a shirt made in Doesitmatterstan by some girls who managed to escape from Gary Glitter.
Date: November 24, 2007 01:42AM
Posted by: gary42
Surely there'll be hardly any economical damage. Fine, sports shops and betting companies will struggle, but given the usual amount of bogus sick leave taken during major international tournaments to watch england (which won't happen this time) it'll all balance out?

Date: November 24, 2007 07:06AM
The major hits will be on publicity, but pubs (beer sales) and betting houses will get hit big time, and EPL tv rights will go down
Date: November 24, 2007 08:50AM
Posted by: gary42
EPL tv rights won't go down at all - they're all secure for years yet AFAIK, and the failure of England to qualify has nothing to do with the popularity of the EPL in Africa or Asia (where the rights are worth far more than in Britain itself. As for the pubs, if we get the Home Internationals back for the summer - which is looking increasingly likely - then they may well not be hit that bad - games will be at weekends rather than midweek, and the other home nations will be involved - meaning increased drinking in the Celtic nations. And I'd still suggest the lack of people calling off sick is gonna save the economy of a lot of money - maybe in the billions itself.

Date: November 24, 2007 11:04PM
Posted by: sasjag
the loss comes mainly from advertising (TV companies will lose out) and stuff usually bought for parties etc.

at least we wont see cars with those bloody stupid flags everywhere!

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: November 27, 2007 09:13PM
Hmm, now there's stuff on papers about some players at a stripclub, including Terry being drunk dancing with a bad knee, vomiting and peeing on the floor, another player doing "it" with a stripper...
Date: December 01, 2007 07:51PM
Posted by: Imran
that sounds like a standard night out for a footballer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: December 02, 2007 01:09PM
Posted by: Nickv
Nickv schreef:
-------------------------------------------------------
> *enters*
> *laughs*
> *leaves*

I laughed at first, but we are in the poule with Romania, Italy and France, so we are out too ;)
Date: December 02, 2007 02:37PM
Posted by: SexySam182
Yeah they really managed to fadge up the seeding for the competition. Both the World Cup finalists in the same group lol. And The Netheralands in with them, I feel better about being an England fan on this forum now ;)

Date: December 02, 2007 02:52PM
Posted by: Gaulty
UEFA for you. What a complete and utter disgrace with having three contenders, Italy, France and Netherlands in the same group.

Team Owner of ItalianEnglish Dynamics in GPG Super League
GP4 Season 5: 7) Jethro Walters. 8) Zsigmond Somogyi. TD) Stuart Ingers and Joel Henrique
GP3 Season 5: 14) Nathan Turner. 15) Tobias Kederer.
6 Time Race Winners

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2007 10:18PM by Gaulty.
Date: December 02, 2007 08:54PM
Posted by: St.Hubbins
What a terrible post!

Croatia were in cruise control against Macedonia. They had already qualified and we far more interested in their following match. How can you say they were lucky? They won home and away against England, and didn't lose a match until they were already through.

Germany lost to England when they were at their lowest point ever. Since then they have reached the World Cup final, and played perhaps the best football in the World Cup four years later. Like Cortia they were undefeated until they had already qualified. They were also the leading goalscorers in the qualifying rounds.

The general concensus amongst the Dutch is that they suck and can't be considered genuine contenders. The main concern seems to be with the defence, although they only manager 15 goals from 12 qualifying games. They lost to Romania and finished three points behind them in the group.

Probably nobody you know playing for Poland, but only because you seem quite ignorant to World football.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F.Scott Fitzgerald
Date: December 02, 2007 09:03PM
Yup, does seem rather ignorant.

Lets not forget Greece are the holders though, and they've been awful since (not that they've had much to play for). It's a lottery. Regarding seedings, I wish it was a proper lottery without seedings at all. Give us some cracking group stage games then, rather than the almost inevitable happening in many cases (more for the World Cup than the Euro's though).

Speaking of the World Cup, anyone else happen to think that the World Cup is of a lower standard all round than the Euros? Obviously we're missing Argentina and Brazil from the Euros, but then there are a lot of very good teams playing that can't qualify for the World Cup from Europe too.
Date: December 02, 2007 10:24PM
Sorry there, post edited. Wasn't thinking straight. But now I think of it Poland have Boruc, Kuszchzak and Rasiak, all of whom have played in Scotlands and Englands top flight, Kuschazak for Man U. So sorry again, but I would like to say that I do enjoy watching european football and internationals around the world.

GP4 Season 5: 7) Jethro Walters. 8) Zsigmond Somogyi. TD) Stuart Ingers and Joel Henrique
6 Time Race Winners
Date: December 02, 2007 10:36PM
Posted by: Covfan
They're doing Euro 2008 without England? How dare they...
Date: December 03, 2007 12:38AM
gav Wrote:
> Yup, does seem rather ignorant.
>
> Lets not forget Greece are the holders though, and
> they've been awful since (not that they've had
> much to play for). It's a lottery. Regarding
> seedings, I wish it was a proper lottery without
> seedings at all. Give us some cracking group stage
> games then, rather than the almost inevitable
> happening in many cases (more for the World Cup
> than the Euro's though).
>
> Speaking of the World Cup, anyone else happen to
> think that the World Cup is of a lower standard
> all round than the Euros? Obviously we're missing
> Argentina and Brazil from the Euros, but then
> there are a lot of very good teams playing that
> can't qualify for the World Cup from Europe too.

Every time Italy wins the World Cup, football loses. People think you must play very defensively to win instead of trying to do something or put a show. And when the World Cup comes is like some teams change completely and coaches are afraid of trying a new youngster and so on...
Date: December 03, 2007 08:15AM
Oh go away Gui. Every time someone says something that doesn't travel down your train of thought regarding the AntiBrazil you come along banging on about the same old stuff. If it's not "they were tackling too hard! :(" then it's "oh just let us attack, pretty please". Just accept that there are 2 ways of playing football, and while I'd love every game to finish 5-4, I can appreciate a brilliant defensive performance just as much.
Date: December 03, 2007 08:58AM
I won't go away ;), I believe you can win while still playing a game that fills the eye. We just come from 2 places that have different mentalities, I am not forcing you to agree with me and I won't agree with you. And yes, good defending is nice but not if you're not trying to score some goals, then it's just boring football. If you go to a game not wanting to win then you shouldn't be playing, that's how I am teaching my floor mates this semester and in 5 games for our uni league, these have been the results (FLRPies United is our team name):

-copied from facebook:
* FLRPies won 5x0 the first game
* FLRPies won 7x5 the second game (3x1 PKs, 4x4 normal time)
* FLRPies won 12x1 on third game
* FLRPies won 7x3 on 1st playoff game
* FLRPies won 3x1 on semi-final

Even though I scored 14 of those goals and my Jap friend another 12, the Americans who didn't play before have been quite offensive and not afraid of pressing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2007 09:00AM by Guimengo.
Date: December 03, 2007 10:13AM
Guimengo Wrote:
> We just come from 2 places that have different
> mentalities, I am not forcing you to agree with me
> and I won't agree with you.

Exactly, so stop trying to influence how the rest of the world plays the game. I don't tell the South American teams fans how they should be playing.

For the record, the club team I support, Liverpool, have been extremely good defensively recently. In the last 5 games we've conceded 1 goal. It doesn't make it boring to watch, as we've also scored 21 in that time. Well, it'll be boring for the other fans, but meh.
Date: December 03, 2007 05:37PM
Good defences win matches effectivly, look at spurs v birmingham yesterday. Spurs were much the better team, but because we have a terrible defence, i dunno why Lee even gets on the bench. Yes we do have Dawson, Bale and Chimbonda, but for no apparant reason, they can not close the ball down. Look at Portsmouth v Reading earlier on in the season, 4 goals away from home is impressive, but if your defense aint good enough, the opposistion score 7.

6 Time Race Winners
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy