Panesar racially abused in Sydney

Posted by gary42 
Panesar racially abused in Sydney
Date: November 14, 2006 01:45AM
Posted by: gary42
[news.bbc.co.uk]

These allegations seem to spring up whenever any cricket team tours Down Under. Wondering if this is a common problem in Aussie society, or just at sporting events?

Re: Panesar racially abused in Sydney
Date: November 14, 2006 03:21AM
Posted by: gareth
The behaviour of that 'fan' is unacceptable, unfortunately I do believe certain sections of Australian society find it acceptable, even funny.

However I also believe though that this mindset is found only in the vast minority of Australians, however this minority would be your traditional sports fans- eg cricket fans.

There have been several incidents of racial abuse in our professional sports, the one coming to my mind was Justin Harrison abusing a black winger from South Africa in Super 14 rugby. None are taking lightly, and they all get investigated and punishments sentenced. Harrison was I think suspended for a couple of weeks and fined.

On a positive note, Cricket Australia and the Fanatics (the organised Australian supporters group) have come up with a heap of songs and ditties so we can hopefully take on your Barmy Army in the singing stakes. I think it'll take us several years to get close to you guys!
Date: November 14, 2006 08:57AM
Posted by: AdamGilchrist
sydney is homo town, so wot do u expect.
Date: November 14, 2006 07:47PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
I've also heard a lot of stuff about rascism in Sydney, there was that ruck a while back of course. But I don't mean to suggest alll sydney-ites are like that, cos I'm sure they're not! YTou get scrotes in all parts of the world is all.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: November 15, 2006 01:17AM
AdamGilchrist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> sydney is homo town, so wot do u expect.

do you really think it was a 'homo' that said it? where are you from AdamGilchrist? I'd love to live in such a tolerant part of the country like you. 'homos' must be treated really well there too.

the riot in Cronulla earlier this year I think -qwerty- you might be thinking of started off as a protest by 'white Australians' against antisocial behaviour perpetrated by Lebanese Australians. it turned into violence and assaults due to a mixture of alcohol, testosterone, ignorance and the mob mentality that was created. there was also a couple of week's worth of retaliatory attacks from Lebanese Australians on 'white Australians'.

in my opinion, the protest began as a response by the silent majority to increasingly unnacceptable antisocial behaviour by elements within the Lebanese community. over several years incidents of gang rape, gang violence and gang crime, vandalism and other activity culminated in a surf life saver being bashed by a group of Lebanese Australians for coming to the defence of a girl who was being abused by the same youths. the assualt on the surf life saver was seen as an attack on Australian values and Australian traditions, of which the surf life saving movement is one of the most treasured and revered.

please be aware that the racism in Sydney in particular is not restricted to white Australians abusing or discriminating against people from different ethnic backgrounds, I can assure you that it goes both ways.

I can also assure you that the vast majority of Sydneysiders are tolerant intelligent people who didn't agree with the violence in January. all it takes is one knob out of a crowd of thousands hurling abuse at Pansenar to ruin it for the rest of us.
Date: November 15, 2006 08:55AM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
AdamGilchrist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> sydney is homo town, so wot do u expect.

OH be nice !

/limp wrist

Anywho yeah, as gareth said....1 drunken moron doesn't make the city racist.
Date: November 15, 2006 09:47PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm sure sydney isn't rascist, I only meant that you only hear the bad news - so all we in europe hear is the riots, nothing welse, so I guess the paper here could seize the opportunity, hell they'll jump on anything!

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: November 15, 2006 11:25PM
Posted by: chet
Hmm racism happens in most sports.

Sadly, ive always thought Australia to be a rasicst ermm place, well.. ofc not everyone, just again the small minority. I dont quite know, how to word it .

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: November 15, 2006 11:30PM
what causes you think that? I'm interested to know whay that is the perception from overseas
Date: November 16, 2006 02:19AM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
yeah likewise....specially considering we're like one of the most multicultural countries in the world?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy