Italy vs France

Posted by Guimengo 
Re: Italy vs France
Date: July 10, 2006 07:58PM
Posted by: gav
Muks_C Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> these are supposed to be professionals, can they not take a little
> verbal abuse from the opposing team without lashing out violently?

I don't quite see how being an exceptionally gifted player makes you less prone to losing your temper...

If ever you're under pressure, that's it. 10 minutes from a penalty shootout in the World Cup final, your last ever game. In no way am I defending him, but if ever you're going to react to a bit of verbal, that's going to be the time.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2006 08:00PM by gav.
Date: July 10, 2006 08:05PM
Posted by: IL Dottore
Daniel Knott schreef:
> You quoted it like i'd said it though.
>

But u didnt said it right ;-)

Magic Senna
Date: July 10, 2006 08:20PM
Posted by: Muks_C
gav Wrote:
> Muks_C Wrote:
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > these are supposed to be professionals, can they not take a
> little
> > verbal abuse from the opposing team without lashing out
> violently?
>
> I don't quite see how being an exceptionally gifted player makes you
> less prone to losing your temper...

>
> If ever you're under pressure, that's it. 10 minutes from a penalty
> shootout in the World Cup final, your last ever game. In no way am I
> defending him, but if ever you're going to react to a bit of verbal,
> that's going to be the time.

i didn't say that, i mean they (all footballers, and sportsmen/women in general) should know the opposition are going to try dirty tricks to provoke you, so you should be prepared and not let it affect you.

on the Radio 2 discussion today, one guy said the Australians (and all other nations no doubt) would sledge you for 5 days solid, but you just had to ignore it and not let it affect you.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: July 10, 2006 08:32PM
Posted by: gav
We just know it doesn't work like that, in any high-pressure situation.
Date: July 10, 2006 09:52PM
Posted by: Nerrazurri
Din't Dyer and Bower of newcastle have criminal action taken against them after a confontation on the pitch? Why not zidane?

Date: July 10, 2006 10:57PM
Posted by: matthewp
It was obviously an absolutely stupid thing he did and he should have known better. The only way I can explain it is that he was probably pretty exhausted at that point and obviously the pressure is immense in that situation, put those two together and you can see how it can happen. That's not to excuse it, like I said it was incredibly stupid but he's the one who has to regret it for the rest of his life. Could have been so different if he'd put that header away a few minutes before it.

Date: July 10, 2006 11:32PM
Posted by: Mini Maestro
According to an Italian Lip Reader on BBC, Zidanes back is turned so they cant decipher what he says.

Materazzi: Calm Down
Zidane: says something
Materazzi: Liar
Zidane: says something
Materazzi: An ugly death to you and your family
Materazzi: Go F**k yourself
****headbutt****
Date: July 11, 2006 01:32AM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
I think both of them were insulting each other to be honest. It seems to go on a lot in football. Zidane can hardly blame materazzi if he was also chipping in with the insults. They are both at fault, but then, it is just an unfortunate part of football. He should not at all have done what he did though. He just lost it I guess though, so he wasn't really in control. Needs to learn to control his temper really.

Someone that is infamous for trying to provoke players is bloody paul ince. I can remember huge fights breaking out when coventry played wolves, not only cos of what he said, but his snide and devious methods of fouling and such.

H E L L O
Date: July 11, 2006 05:43AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Regarding WC best player I'd give it to Cannavaro. He was consistent throughout the whole Cup and was exceptional in most games. He managed to even run around and sprint constantly even on the 2nd half of extra-time. Zidane was as good as nothing in the first round, all he did was some dirty off-the-ball plays and get a suspension from last group stage game. Then with Spain he didn't do much either but was given some space and scored an easy goal. Then he started to play, against Brazil. He had plenty of space 100% of the time and was allowed to do anything he wanted, and once again on semis he played well, but by no means should win the award for best player.

And about the headbutt, the lip reading here said that Materazzi called Zidane's sister a prostitute and then said something about his mom and finally about him. Pretty shameful for someone who was playing brilliantly, makes me even want to retract my good words about him (Marco).
Date: July 11, 2006 07:24AM
Top 5 Materazzi plays:

Date: July 11, 2006 08:05AM
Posted by: Paco
Materazzi is a dirty player, that's right, but Zidane's reaction can't be justified by any means, he wasn't (and will not be) the first player being insulted during a football match, he knows the other players will do anything to make him lose his temper to get him sent off, and the plan worked perfectly for Materazzi. Zidane should have kept walking and try not to hear what Marco was saying.

I'm against sigpics
Date: July 11, 2006 08:28AM
Oh yeah, absolutely. I'm just showing how someone who can actually make some good plays on the field can also be a supreme as*hole with both his actions and words.
Date: July 11, 2006 08:34AM
Posted by: gareth
The word here is Materazzi labelled him a 'dirty terrorist', suggesting Zidane's Algerian heritage may have something to do with it. Materrazzi has denied it of course.

"Italy defender Marco Materazzi has denied a report that he had called Zinedine Zidane a "dirty terrorist" seconds before the French captain head-butted him in Monday's World Cup final.

"It is absolutely not true, I did not call him a terrorist. I'm ignorant. I don't even know what the word means," the Italian news agency Ansa quoted Materazzi as saying after the Italian team returned to Rome."

Source: ninemsn.com.au

and lol re Australians sledging for five days solid- only in cricket tests haha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2006 08:35AM by gareth.
Date: July 11, 2006 09:29AM
Zidane is supposed to make an announcement next week, and if Materazzi said some stuff like that he could be punished by the no-racism movement from FIFA ;-)
Date: July 11, 2006 10:35AM
Posted by: Muks_C
my god Gui, the video you posted shows why that guy should be locked up!

what Zidane did was very wrong, but Marco needs a good kicking for all he's done to other players! (yes i know, 2 wrongs don't make a right)how does he get away with them so much?

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: July 11, 2006 11:19AM
Posted by: Mini Maestro

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2006 11:20AM by Mini Maestro.
Date: July 11, 2006 03:45PM
Posted by: Paco
gareth Wrote:
> "It is absolutely not true, I did not call him a terrorist. I'm
> ignorant. I don't even know what the word means,"

LOL, he should have shut his mouth after 'terrorist'!

I'm against sigpics
Date: July 11, 2006 05:47PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
well if its true what he said about calling his mother a whore or him a terrorist, which apparently thats what expert lip readers have come up with:

"you're the son of a terrorist whore" [news.bbc.co.uk] from one expert

then what zidane done was nothing. infact he should have stamped on his head after he knocked him down.

THATS only if what the experts say is true. Materazzi denying it is not proof to me that he didnt say it. of course hes gonna say he didnt.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: July 11, 2006 06:11PM
Posted by: Nickv
At a show in Holland some time ago they asked somebody who could lip read or read lips (or whatever you call it ;)) and asked her what people said to the ref during matches, that was very interesting btw :P. I think the 'experts' should give the work to somebody who really knows how to do it.
Date: July 11, 2006 06:35PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
well find out soon i presume with the fifa investigation

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy