Re: 24 Heures du Mans 2011
Date: June 12, 2011 02:36AM
Posted by: Slash
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another horrendous accident for Audi. Rocky is ok,
> but the car is even worse than Allans, and the
> armco on the Indy kink is destroyed.

that was a really really rookie maneuver from the (Vette?), the guy was on the left side, and he came across, there's nothing Rockenfeller could've done other than go to the grass... the guy totally push him, what i don't understad is what was the porpuse of going to the right lane?, the corner was to the right... was he trying to give the audi the best apex aproach?.. was he looking for the worst apex to take the corner?... i think that guy deserves a beating, whoever was

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2011 02:39AM by Slash.
Date: June 12, 2011 06:22AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Yes, and Mike was flashing his lights for many seconds beforehand...

Motorsport safety is still pretty good these days, so I'm not hugely surprised that Allan and Mike are fine, but the proximity to seeing #3 fly into those marshalls/photographers still sends shivers down my spine...

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 12, 2011 06:52AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
It just wouldn't be Le Mans without the ACO trying to gift Peugeot the victory with some funny safety car shenanigans.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 12, 2011 11:01AM
Posted by: Mitsuro Sano
I was about to say why did you say that Dave, but with what happened with Treluyer and Davidson, I've understood it better. But what a race the Audi does!
Date: June 12, 2011 11:07AM
As if Davidson hadn't done enough to make the entire paddock hate him last year.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 12, 2011 03:10PM
Audi wins, Peugeot lose, Bourdais and Davidson are unhappy.

Today is a good day. That race was incredible.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 12, 2011 05:36PM
Posted by: loren
Great race. Treluyer was superb, and thumbs up to Audi for building another very strong car.
Date: June 13, 2011 03:09PM
Posted by: marcl
Davidson was on Twitter trying to defend himself lol, a lot of people were not happy with him.

Really pleased Audi won my hatred for Peugeot goes back to the Jean Todt days when they done their best to favour drivers and ruin the sport.
Date: June 13, 2011 03:53PM
Davidson can defend himself as much as he wants, but it won't work. This isn't the F1 paddock where you can make rude comments about other teams and everybody ignores it. The Le Mans paddock is a community, and everybody works together. Peugeot, Davidson and Gene gave themselves a lot of enemies and took a lot of flack from other teams for the actions during the race. And this is the second year in succession that Davidson has made enemies through dangerous driving and then stupid comments after the race, when last year he took out the GT Class leader, a Corvette, and said "I don't care, I'm trying to win the proper race", to which the entire paddock went mental over and he was forced to apologise. You'd think he'd learn, but apparently not. But as other teams pointed out, the only reason they get away with it, and will continue to get away with it, is Peugeot has a French flag above the door and the ACO to their best to gift them the win every year. The #2 Audi was given a warning for exceeding track limits, whilst the Peugeots did it every lap out of the Mulsanne chicanes. It's ridiculous.

Davidsons actions were unacceptable, but Gene should have been parked for how he drove against the Audi, and had that been an Audi doing it to a Peugeot, it would have been. And then Peugeot attmepting to justify it by claiming there were no blue flags (completely irrelevant, but also not true anyway) was a disgrace. The best team won, despite dirty and dangerous tactics, and despite the organisers attempting to give Peugeot the victory.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 14, 2011 12:01AM
Posted by: chet
Will admit I never heard of Treluyer before recently, but wow! What a driver. Didnt see a great deal, but what I saw was great, and from him was awesome. Super quick!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: June 14, 2011 12:07AM
Treluyer was the star of the show. Lapping at those speeds, whilst doing FIVE stints, then getting out and giving interviews like he'd just been for a walk in the park. At one point he consistently lapped 4 seconds quicker than the leading Peugeot, which was more than enough to make up the difference lost by the higher fuel consumption of the R18.

This was meant to be Dindo Capellos last Le Mans, but I hope it isn't, he didn't even get to drive.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 14, 2011 12:28AM
Highlight playlist, with natrual sounds.

[sportscararchives.com]

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2011 12:28AM by DaveEllis.
Date: June 14, 2011 09:07PM
Posted by: n00binio
DaveEllis schrieb:
> Highlight playlist, with natrual sounds.
>
> [sportscararchives.com]
> -2011-highlights-with-natural-sounds/

awesome (Y)

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: June 16, 2012 11:16PM
Another year and another huge crash.

The ACO aren't having much success - they want the cars doing 3m30s in qualifying, they're way under, and they want to stop the cars flying and that isn't working unfortunately either. I guess it's very difficult for them to control these factors. The difference of speeds between LMP1 cars and GT cars will certainly be called into question again I imagine, we can't be lucky forever if we keep having such massive crashes. I don't know how to find a solution, really.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 17, 2012 12:51AM
Posted by: truecrysis
SchueyFan Wrote:
> Another year and another huge crash.
>
> The ACO aren't having much success - they want the
> cars doing 3m30s in qualifying, they're way under,
> and they want to stop the cars flying and that
> isn't working unfortunately either. I guess it's
> very difficult for them to control these factors.
> The difference of speeds between LMP1 cars and GT
> cars will certainly be called into question again
> I imagine, we can't be lucky forever if we keep
> having such massive crashes. I don't know how to
> find a solution, really.

Yup another crash with the car absolutely taking off, and i agree with these its only a matter of time before luck runs out. The car just takes to the air far to easily, a little sideways and the entire car is flying through the air into a barrier (which it so easily could have gone over). That Ferrari took a massive hit in the barriers too.

The thing is even with these sort of incidents, I have no problems with the speed differential of the cars. There are series and races where multiple different speed cars can finish without any massive crashes. Whilst accidents are always going to happen, they do even when the cars are running at the same pace, for me the issues come down to who is driving the car. The Ferrari driver had no awareness that the Toyota was there at all and assumed he had the space. When you are running in a race like this you simply can't do that. And then in reverse was the Nakajima and the Deltawing. Nakajima had no clue the delta was there, put his car into what he thought was space and rammed the delta out. The reason the accident wasn't so serious just happened to be where they were on the track/the situation they were in.

Still a fantastic race, even if Audi now have no competition whatsoever

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
Date: June 17, 2012 01:48AM
Posted by: n00binio
the number 7 toyota is also out with engine troubles. unlucky race for them but they had a good pace so i guess next year could be close race

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: June 17, 2012 02:31AM
Posted by: loren
Yikes. They've got to improve the quality of drivers in the GT cars. Crazy thing is the guy in the Ferrari was blaming Davidson 100%.

There are a lot of things that make this race difficult - the long straights, the total darkness, etc - but I don't think you could blame any of those there. The guy just turned square into the side of Davidson's car.
Date: June 17, 2012 02:54AM
Yup it's ridiculous that he blamed Davidson, despite the fact it was plainly his fault, he completely turned into the Toyota. Him, Nakajima and Dumas (at the rate he is attacking slower cars at the current moment) should be told to not enter endurance races with the way they were driving...

Date: June 17, 2012 01:32PM
Just found this video of footage following the deltawing crash. Following the hit to the wall, Motoyama tried to repair his car for 2 hours being fed info by team mechanics the other side of a nearby fence, and using a photographer to provide the mechanics with pictures of parts of the car. Shows how hard Motoyama worked to get the car just back to the pit lane and how upset he actually was to have to eventually retire the car officially.

I was actually very impressed with the deltawing. Before this whole event i thought it would be nowhere with mechanical failures left right and centre. To be fair it lasted quite well and managed to easily keep pace with the LMP2 drivers with much better fuel economy. Somewhere in there the future for motorsport fuel usage lies, they just need to make it more reliable and run for longer.

Date: June 17, 2012 04:46PM
Yes, if any video shows the true spirit and essence of Le Mans, that's it.

X (@ed24f1)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy